PDA

View Full Version : River Fishery

Jehiah
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Well? Anyone headed out onto the river banks for salmon on opening day? Not any rain for last few days but wondering if there are any eager beavers.
Im thinking this weekend Im gunna head to NitNat river to try my luck and see if there is much traffic yet in terms of fish (hopefully little in terms of the human variety).
Thoughts? Im new to this.

Salty
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Not familiar with that river but if it has pinks they should be there now. It would be slow for trout until cooler temps in Sept and beyond and Coho won't show up until later.. But if you're new to this hell ya, head out there and start learning the river then you'll be prepared for the more productive fall season :-D

capt.T
08-16-2010, 12:05 PM
try a different river. Nitnat won't have salmon for a couple more weeks, and no pinks. no people (yet), but lots of bears. It is a "no discharge of firearms" area. the bears there are not scared of people and will try and take your fish. there is some mean bears there, had a close call once when I didn't have a gun. when I try'd to scare a bear away he false charged me, I stood my ground and the bear got to about 10 feet away before he stopped. I vowed to never go back to that river without a gun.
better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it.

nitnat fishing best end of aug, early sept. before the snag fest starts. good luck.

Jehiah
08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
yes, Ive seen the bear behaviour and it is less than charming. Thats why I bring a little pistol grip shotty with me these days.
chinook fishing season opened on the 15th on paper - just not in water yet I guess.
Ill head out and check anyhow - to get a feel as you said.

Thanx