PDA

View Full Version : Mountain rain gear advice

moose2
08-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I was just wondering if anyone one had some info on the rain gear they wear in the mountains. I find that the light stuff I have used tears easily in the brush and creek bottoms. Even if it dosn't tear it seems to lose its water proofing quickly. Anything that stands up seems to be heavy and very hot and usually noisy. Any advice on rain gear products (good or bad) would be appreciated. I do have water proof hunting clothes but again they are hot in August.
Thanks Mike

mark
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Around here, we just stand under a tree and complain about the weather for 5 minutes and its usually over! :-D

moose2
08-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks Mark
This would work but I am usually a couple hours away from any trees. (LOL)
MIKE

ufishifish2
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Working in the bush 12 months a year, I like Hurricane. Not too expensive, not as hot as the plastic or rubber stuff, it kinda breathes, plus it lasts for years. I'm sure lots of LML guys like their crazy overpriced MEC crap...... but that is for another rant.
Hoods on your rain jacket are a bonus too when in prolonged rain. It'll keep the water from running down your neck and getting your shirt all wet.

Hunt'n Guide
08-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I've got several set of raingear. Raingear is like rifles every situation seems to require a different one.
I've got some lightweight stuff that tears easily for sheep hunting. It only gets put on to sit and wait out squalls and even then I usually tear out the ass sitting on the rocks while waiting.
I've got a set of the Cabelas GuideGear goretex that they make for fishing that I wear all of the time on horseback hunts, rain or shine.
There is a set of Sitka Stormfront that I'm afraid to use since it costs so much but do wear from time to time for lower activity close to home type hunts where weight isn't a big deal.
Various soft shells that are nice on cooler days when it's not likely to rain.
Finally there is the ever present set of heavy Heely Hansen rubber gear for when it's truely going to rain.

Jelvis
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Good rain gear doesn't leak so look for holes in it first b4 taking it home.

BromBones
08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I used a North Face HyVent jacket this year. Worked great and is very light. Would definitely get shredded in thick stuff though.

Generally I don't wear rain gear if I'm hiking hard - I sweat so much at the best of times that wearing rain gear is like a sauna suit. Usually I only use it when sitting glassing, or if I end up camped away from the tent. Best bet for me in the rain is my wool stanfield over a light UnderArmour or Smartwool shirt as I can be soaked but still warm. I'll throw a light fleece jacket over top if it's chilli.

spear
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Helly Hansen for me, wear it all winter building, stretches a bit so it wont tear but it doesn't breathe very well

mwj
08-16-2010, 07:01 PM
mike,
i wear that hh stretchy stuff but i think you know that already'
mark