PDA

View Full Version : What length cleaning rod?

Big B
08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I am new to the gun and hunting scene, I got my PAL for both restricted an non-restricted, and finally got my first rifle. It is a Savage 111FCXP3 chambered in 30-06. I am really excited to getting started! I am looking at getting a Tipton deluxe carbon fiber cleaning rod, the barrel length is 22" long, should I go for the 26" or should 36" rod? Also what brand of cleaning products is good for breaking in a new rifle and routine maintenance? Any help and opinions would be muchly appreciated!

shadow1982
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
No Joke???????

lineofsight
08-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Have both Tipton & Dewey (also highly recommended) but prefer the Tipton Carbon Fiber. Should clean from the breach so will need a couple extra inches to cover length of receiver / action before you reach barrel - go for longer rod.

You may also want to look into the Otis cleaning products, especially useful for firearms where would be unable to use a rod to clean from breach to muzzle (i.e. some semi autos).

Barrel break in is subject to a range of opinions, use the search function and you will find no shortage of them. Cleaning much the same. Personally like Wipeout for cleaner & G96 for lube and following what you learned in your course should work well enough (you probably mean you got your RPAL - for Restricted).

Noname
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Some of us use longer rods than others it just depends on the individual..

lineofsight
08-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Some of us use longer rods than others it just depends on the individual..

Next Noname will tell you that size doesn't matter - just a matter of genetics :)