PDA

View Full Version : Single vert pin sight?

North Star
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Guys, just wondering what you all think of vertical pin sights. I was thinking of getting one of the Trophy Ridge models and wanted to get some feedback first. They seem less obtrusive, are there any draw backs? thx

jessbennett
08-15-2010, 11:44 AM
vertical pins take some serious getting used too. personally i dont like them. but to each their own. bow walker might be able to give you some more insight to them as he likes them.

In one sense they do give you more of a field of view, but the way the pin comes up from the bottom i find very distracting and hard to stay focused on my target. again, that could just be me. It could be the way that i aquire my target or something i dont know, but like i said they just dont work for me.

But, if you can make them work for you, they are a well made durable sight that will last a long time.

good luck

Ron.C
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I've shot with a trophy ridge sight for over 6 years now. I love it. I agree, I see more of the target with this sight then a regular pin sight. It's one of those things that you have to try for yourself and make up your own mind weather it works for you. As far as quality goes some of the Trophy Ridge sights are not bullet proof. I had the Micro Matrix and the mounting configuration for the sight cage assy was not very well engineered. After about a month of shooting, the sight cage broke and flew off. Trophy Ridge sent me the parts " plus extras" to convert my sight to a normal Matrix model and have not had a probelm since " 4 years ago"

Bow Walker
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Jess is right - I do like TR sights. I've had 3 or 4 over the years and since I began using them they have come a long way as far as quality is concerned.

Two things that I'd recommend...

first - try one before you buy one. Not everyone likes the vertical pin alignment. But, if you're considering a purchase you are already pre-disposed to liking them.

second - get one with metal pins and meta sight housing, not plastic parts. You will appreciate the toughness of the meta components immediately.

My hunting buddy uses the Micro Alpha V5, and it is a great sight. I wish I had one.
http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/ (http://www.trophyridge.com/sights/V5/)

He says the adjustability of the sight is amazing. Easy to do and once locked into pace it stays there through thick and thin.

Currently I use a Spot Hogg Real Deal on my hunting bow. My only wish would be to combine TR vertical pin alignment with Spot Hogg durability....but hey, nothing is ever perfect.

hardnocks
08-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I like the vertical pins . and i bought 2 trophy ridge one was a matrix the other was the next step up. didn`t like the quality so i got a spot hogg-hogg-it. but i do like the vertical pins.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I had a TR Rhino ... I gave it to a guy that needed a new sight ... It has 4 verticle "DOWN" pins and 1 up pin and the whole sight housing is adjustible

I liked it ... what I like the most about the vert pins that I had .. is that its easy to tell if you tourqe the bow a bit as you will be able to see the side of your pins

Bow Walker
08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
I think it depends on what a guy starts out with - or at least gets used to in the first year or two of bow hunting.

If a person is "open" to a newer way of doing things then the Vertical Pin alignment will be a big improvement - especially in sights that have 4 or more pins, and the faster bows of today with the pins closer together.

I find that it's easier to pick a pin and put it on target when it's in a vertical alignment than when all the pins come in from the side and are bunched up due to a speedy bow.

It's just too bad that Spot Hogg and TR cannot combine the best of both worlds.

North Star
08-16-2010, 10:43 AM
Too bad about the quality issues of some of the TRs, some of them are pretty pricey but they seem to be well made and all metal including pins. I'll check some other brands out there also.

The vert pins seem so much cleaner looking through, I think it's something I could get used to. And yeah I figured one would be able to see if you are tourquing the bow with them.

Pretty much the answers I was looking for and expecting, I'll try one out first, thanks much all.

Ruger4
08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
It'll take you about 30 seconds to use and realize you'll like it alot. The field of view advantage is huge. :mrgreen:

jessbennett
08-16-2010, 05:53 PM
It'll take you about 30 seconds to use and realize you'll like it alot. The field of view advantage is huge. :mrgreen:

heck, it took me about 5 seconds to realize i hated it and wanted my sword accusite back on......... pronto.:mrgreen:

Bow Walker
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
They shoud rename them to "Polarizing Sights"....you either love 'em or hate 'em, usually right away.

North Star
08-16-2010, 08:58 PM

heck, it took me about 5 seconds to realize i hated it and wanted my sword accusite back on......... pronto.:mrgreen:

LOL!! Yup, guess you either love 'em or hate them.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-16-2010, 09:55 PM
pretty much .. that Rhino I had I hunted with it for 1/2 season ... then I went to a single up pin dial a yard sight .... Now I am back using a Cobra Sidewinder LX ... but may put on a Spott Hogg 7 deadly pins sight ... decitions decitions ................

Bow Walker
08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah decisions. Here I'm looking to get an Micro Alpha V5 and switch it out with my Real Deal....and yet I've gone and ordered a Wrap Kit for the Real Deal....

Decisions, decisions.....