PDA

View Full Version : ground blinds.

d_k
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
just curious if many people use ground blinds for deer hunting and how the sucess rate is. i have always been a walk and stalk kinda guy but just
intrested to see if staying put brings good sucess.

Jhors
08-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi, we have a ground blind at our regular mule deer spot. My son built it about 6 - 7 years ago. It is the spot we can go to and nearly without fail get our deer. It has worked year after year. I have noticed several times when we arrive for our annual hunting trip that there are shell casings on the ground at the blind so I expect it has worked for other hunters as well.

I will add we shot deer there before we had the blind by simply walking in and standing and waiting or doing a walk and stalk. What is important is that we discovered a route the deer use, repeatedly over the years. Once you do that I think any method will work.

Brian011
08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
ground blinds are a great way of getting bucks. if you have the patience to sit in the same spot for hours it definitely pays off. if you can find a good spot with lots of activity and can see a bit, just set up a blind and sit. i have had good success doing this, but a lot of guys dont like to just sit and wait so its up to you. i like finding a crossing or a deer trail that is maybe 50 to 75 yards off of an open because a lot of bucks wont ever come out into the open. I've also never really used a blind, just found a spot on a log or something and just sat, only because a blind is more stationary and i like to have the ability to be able to move if i have to. use some kind of buck scent too, it might not bring them in all the time but if a buck wanders through and smells it it will at least slow him down enough to get a good look at him.

bearhunter338-06
08-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I like to find a trail that is well used. Then I will find a nice comfertable place to sit that will breakup my out-line. I will then sit there and wait. 2-3 hours napping on and off. I bet I miss a lot of animals lol

ghost
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I was wondering about ground blinds as well. I have pop up ground blind wondering if anyone has used them with sucsess.

Roughneck Country
08-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Ground blinds are great for deer like some of the previous posts have said find a main trail not far from their bedding area. I like the pop up ones you an move around myself. The best part of a blind is that they let you move around inside without the deer seeing you. Also if there is a slight breeze they help contain your scent a little bit. Also if it is extremely cold you can put a little sunflower propane heater in there to warm your hands every so often. We had a heater on, chowing down on lunch and were able to take deer out of it.
In conclusion very effective if the blind is set up on a good trail!

d_k
08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
thanks guys. thats lots of good stuff to take in.
and with out a doubt, i agree its all about location.

springpin
08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Ya, i use a ground blind. the problem i found with them is, when the deer come up on the door side(dog house blind)...but they do work well. nice comfy chair, magazine, coffee, and they double as an ice fishing hut. It's nice to have.

Springpin

Bow Walker
08-15-2010, 06:02 PM
I was hunting up in Aspen Grove one year. I used a ground blind for two afternoon/evening hunts. No joy in Mudville. I think that I'd rather be like one of the our more nefarious members here and 'road-hunt' if I go back to the Interior.

Ron.C
08-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I've shot a spike Blackatail out of my Doghouse Blind and missed a nice 4x4 Whitetail out of it a couple years back:oops: I have also had a few Turkeys, Coyotes and a good number of does come within bow range of it while I'm in it.

I usually prefer to hunt out of a treestand when in staying in one position, but have found that sometimes the right tree just is not where it needs to be and this is when a ground blind comes into play.

Another reason to use one is for guys that can't seem to sit in a treestand all day during late season. A ground blind gives you some protection from the elements. Two years ago, I had my sport cat heater in mine when I shot my BT buck. A pissy rainy cold late Nov day, and I was warm and dry for all of it.

Lastly, I think staying put is an excellent way to hunt. We have all heard the stories of the old hunters who just walk in the bush and plunk their arse down on a stump, and manage to shoot their deer/moose/elk....... I think the reason most guys are not consistently successful out of treestands/blinds is the move too much once on stand and the leave too early. Get in your stand and stay there!!! The longer you stay, the better your odds are.

hunter1947
08-16-2010, 03:20 AM
If hunting with a bow the good thing about a ground blind is if the animal walks out of range you can go after him.

As for a self climbing tree stand you can't go after him right away if you did by the time you made all the noise getting back down to the ground the animal would be long gone..

betteroffishing
08-16-2010, 07:04 AM
ive been looking at the double dog ground blind for some time now , hike in bring featherweight stove with me and cook some oatmeal , eat it then cook some coffee , drink it , then shoot an animal. yeah

Stone Sheep Steve
08-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Great option for kids. They can be a little "fidgety" and get away with it.

Thinking about one myself.

SSS

kennyj
08-16-2010, 07:15 PM
ive been looking at the double dog ground blind for some time now , hike in bring featherweight stove with me and cook some oatmeal , eat it then cook some coffee , drink it , then shoot an animal. yeah
Now that sounds good! I always use natural materials for my ground blinds but I can't move as much. I like to move but hunting from a blind or just sitting and watching is a great way to hunt.
kenny