PDA

View Full Version : Mcdonald creek

sheep newbee
08-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I read all the comments about Wokkpash Mcdonald trail and finally decided to take this trail. Just came back from a 4 day hiking trip along Mcdonald drainage. I met 4 other hunters in the area and a very recent horse sh..t on the trail.
This is for those who think Mcdonald creek trail is a good spot for sheep hunt.

Don't think so :(

Toad Hunter
08-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Do not jump to conclusion too quick young snapper!

Many a fine men have yarded HUGE rams from them hills!

bushmonkey4
08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
It's a easy trail to hike so it gets used quite a bit.

sako_300
08-14-2010, 10:09 PM
as they say "get off the beaten path"

proguide66
08-14-2010, 10:17 PM
You only seen 4??? shit , its slow in there...try guideing a paying dude in there with 13 other guys!!!!!!..( still got one though:twisted:)

BCRiverBoater
08-15-2010, 06:05 AM
A 4 day sheep hunt is not a very long time. Need to get off the regular trails and spend a lot of time glassing and putting on some miles. The area gets hit hard but also produces some rams every year.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-15-2010, 08:46 AM
So let me get this straight. You parked on the highway, walked down a designated hiking trail and you bumped into other people?

No way.

luckynuts
08-15-2010, 09:16 AM
So let me get this straight. You parked on the highway, walked down a designated hiking trail and you bumped into other people?

No way.

LMAO. I think Sheep newbie wants to edit his post. Though one good thing about lots of other "guys" is they normally push the game to you:wink:

Coming_out_heavy.
08-15-2010, 10:22 AM
If it makes you feel any better, I got a short story for you from last years opening day.

July 31 we found the ram we wanted. We knew where we had to be to catch him feeding in the morning, so we got up at 4am and got into position. We belly crawl the last 200 yards and get the bipods out, range everything, and the shot is going to be 300 yards to where we expect the ram to eat breakfast. Ok we crawled 20 yards but it seemed longer. Anyway, 7am rolls around, a few sheep are feeding in front of us but the ram doesnt want to come down. Soon we realize why. 2 hunters from the koots stroll on up to us, skylined and all.

So here we are, opening day, having a nice chat with some more residents about how shitty this is for both parties. They ask us if we have seen any legal rams, we say no, they look at my rifle aimed toward a grassy patch and chuckle. In the end they took off in a direction we all agreed was going to allow both parties to avoid each other somewhat.

This was 17 km of BUSHwacking off of the highway. And that is 17 google earth kms, so who knows how far it was by the time we zigged and zagged and pissed and moaned our way in there. Those other fellas, they did the same thing from another valley, they walked around the same distance as far as I could tell.

August 2 we got that ram.

You are going to run into hunters, or outfitters, EVERYwhere you hunt. Doesn't mean you wont get a ram though.

This year we thought we were early, heading into the mountains on July 30. We ended up following 3 sets of boot prints into the area we wanted to hunt. Not an awesome feeling as you are heading in. The plan was made though, and we had to go where we said we would be. On we go. We find an outfitter camp. Oh great. Its pretty wrecked, and no one is around, clearly hadnt been used since last year. We decide that due to the bad american economy, the outfitter isnt going to use this camp this year. Theres no way they wouldnt be there already, we think. The place had been torn up by bears, birdnests everywhere, birdshit everywhere (on the bunks etc, cookshack table ) rat shit, mouse shit, the place was a mess. Theres no way they wouldnt have someone here getting this place back in shape to use for the hunting season. Oh wait, whats that noise, a bell, 15 horse pack string, guide, 2 hunters, cook, wrangler. Awesome! So now we have 3 residents we followed in, a guide, who is NOT impressed that we are in his valley, and here we are. This was not the plan. Oh did I mention this is also a 9 mile walk from where we started to walk from? So now what?

We head further in, and one of my partners shoots a book ram.

I am sure that most sheep hunters have stories like these. Well, minus the book ram part :). We got lucky.

jml11
08-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Saw a legal ram right near the Mcdonald Creek trailhead on July 29th this year...and he continued on up the valley to where he could be hunted!

4 other guys is not very many...on opening day of our hunt we saw 4 other camps making up 7 other guys...2 of these camps got rams early within the first few days of opener.

blueboy
08-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Hunt were the guide,s hunt mc,donald to the churchill and down to delano creek hell that,s were stone mountain sell ,s b.c residence hunt,s every year at the sheep show for lot,s of $ . And if you don,t find sheep there north or south of the hiway . good luck and be patient

Coming_out_heavy.
08-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Hey, leave Stone Mtn Safaris alone!

kennyj
08-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I didn't see a single hunter on my stone sheep hunt last year. Didn't see any sheep either. Hmmm.
kenny

ElectricDyck
08-16-2010, 07:41 PM
It seems to me sheep newbie just reeled in some HBCers. Strange first post I think.

sheep newbee
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Thank you all for your comments. as you could guess from the name I chose for myself in this forum, I'm new to this and am here to learn. If you look at a thread called wokkpash sheep there is a very long discussion about how good or bad this trail is. And I believed in those comments and took my peek. My intention of posting this was to give my true observation about my 4 day trip and learn from those who hunted in this area.

luckynuts
08-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Sheep Newb,

Use the search threads on sheep hunting, gear and other related topics. By reading All these articles you will learn that the guys have invested serious time, money and most of all a lot of LEG work to find so called sheep areas. I can assure you that there is no place anywhere there is sheep that is without resident hunters or guide outfitters in this province:-D You may get lucky time to time and have the area to yourself but there will always be someone there before you or after you. MacDonald is easy access and is why it's crowded. 4 days is not enough in my opinion unless you have an area already picked out, your in there before opener and sheep are there opening day:-D Oh btw sheep hunters are extremely good exaggerators and should not be taken to seriously on the areas mentioned:wink:

Good on ya for taking the plunge with little or no experience it's how most of us have done it and most of us are still working hard on getting that First Ram.

Good luck

W.

Mountain_Birch
06-03-2021, 10:47 PM
I went in there for 8 days this year in Sept. Never saw a soul, but the place had been pounded during opener judging by the boot and horse tracks up every side valley. Saw a few sheep, nothing legal but they're in there for sure. For a first timer I think it's a relatively good place to start. You'll get eyes on sheep, the hike is relatively easy and odds aren't all that bad. I would avoid the rush and go later in the season though.

.330 Dakota
06-04-2021, 08:23 AM
Any Caribou in there guys?

Imdone
06-04-2021, 09:05 AM
McDonald, Wokpash, Dunedin, 4, 8 mile Creek s, Nondo, Racing, Snake, Back of Stone and Muncho.

They all hold Sheep.

You have to work hard, get away from the crowds.

Many walk past hidden holding spots, lots of Rams are timber sheep, others prefer the wide open.

Extensive hard work pays off

KodiakHntr
06-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Any Caribou in there guys?

Definitely caribou. Only spent a couple/three trips in there that I can remember off the top of my head, but we always saw 'bou.
Saw exactly 0 legal caribou, but I was only ever in there in August, not during the rut.

.330 Dakota
06-04-2021, 12:30 PM
Definitely caribou. Only spent a couple/three trips in there that I can remember off the top of my head, but we always saw 'bou.
Saw exactly 0 legal caribou, but I was only ever in there in August, not during the rut.

Thank You, yes seeing LEGAL bou anywhere is tough, but seeing bou at all is a good start, lol

pushbush
07-12-2021, 07:49 PM
So what’s the deal with leaving your vehicle off the Hwy or up a side road to go sheep hunting. Has anyone had their vehicle damaged, or is there any concern?

ElectricDyck
07-12-2021, 09:54 PM
I talked to a guy who would just pull 20 feet off the highway and head into the hills for 2 weeks, he never had problems..

pushbush
07-13-2021, 07:11 PM
Good to know, Thanks!!!

Harv
07-13-2021, 08:57 PM
Bring a trail cam and set it up pointing toward your truck in a hidden spot, ive done that, but never got anyone messing with anything

pushbush
07-15-2021, 06:06 PM
Bring a trail cam and set it up pointing toward your truck in a hidden spot, ive done that, but never got anyone messing with anything

Great Idea
Thanks!!!

BrookTrout
07-18-2021, 08:14 PM
So what’s the deal with leaving your vehicle off the Hwy or up a side road to go sheep hunting. Has anyone had their vehicle damaged, or is there any concern?

went up sheep hunting and parked right in the ditch off the highway, week later came out and somebody took my buddy’s fuel! (They did leave a note saying they would pay back) he never called. But never any damage.

Mountain_Birch
08-11-2021, 08:40 PM
Lots of caribou in there but not many legal bulls, but there are some if you're willing to pack them out that far.