PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Hunt 2010

08-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi All,

I just returned yesterday from 10 days of sheep hunting "up north" lol.

I had a blast. We saw 35 rams (at least), including 10 or so that were very close to being legal...just an inch or so under the bridge. I saw one ram that I now know was legal. He was not quite full-curl, but had massive bases and carried his weight most of his length then tapered quilky. I was trying to age him, but being new to sheep hunting I was nervous about killing an under-age ram, so by the time I had him aged (at least 10.5), my chance was gone and he was out of range. I really enjoyed the trip and was able to get to within shooting range of three groups of rams during my trip. In fact I got 69 yards away from a group of 5 rams on the second day. I learned a ton, and can't wait until next year!

JP

sako_300
08-14-2010, 04:24 PM
sounds like a good first sheep hunt. The mistake you made is very common; I've heard lots of guys say it "looked like a bighorn" - should have shot it...

Pics?

Always next year.

Bear Chaser
08-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Congratulations on an enjoyable trip. Better luck next year.

ydouask
08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for you post. Great trip and attitude!

BCRiverBoater
08-14-2010, 07:57 PM
You did the right thing. True sportsman! If in doubt let it go. Aging a sheep is very difficult for most hunters. When you finally pull the trigger it will be that much sweeter.

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Success is measured in all different ways, that sounds like a success in my books.
Nothing like time up North :cool:
We like non harvest pics too ;)

BCrams
08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Great sheep hunt account .... you did best when in doubt and that is not to shoot. The hunt sounds like a great success from the experience you gained from it.

BromBones
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Right on man, sounds like you had a good time. Hard to beat a trip like that. My trip was cut short this year from an injury, but the few days I managed to get in were awesome.

Back at 'er next year!

kodiak10
08-15-2010, 11:46 AM
We were new to sheep hunting this year to.We are still kicking ourselves about one we had at 100 yards for an hour.Way bigger than all the other rams,but not full curl.Another rookie mistake was we left our spotting scopes in our pack for the stalk,so trying to count rings was almost impossible.I did get a full curl later on.Cant wait to get back.

Dutch Ppoacher
08-15-2010, 04:21 PM
we like pictures!!!!! we demand pictures!!!!! no more talk from you till you provide some evidence that can be analyzed.

kennyj
08-15-2010, 06:01 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip. You went and did it and learned some some country. Next time you'll know where to start.
kenny

OutWest
08-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot as well. Would love to see some pics!

hunter1947
08-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Each year you go on a sheep hunt you learn and then one year there it is laying on the ground a hunter can get lucky on his first sheep hunt its called LUCK.

In your case you did not get lucky but there will be many more years to come to fill your dream.

All in all you had a wonderful trip by the sounds of it and put lots up in the old noggin for next years hunt :wink:..

08-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for all the encouragment guys. As for pictures, I did take a few good ones, and even a few of rams through the spotting scope, but I am way too dumb to post pictures.

whitetailsheds
08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
If ya want them posted 325, PM me an e-mail address and I can put 'em up for ya.....others have done the same.