PDA

View Full Version : Blue Sharks???

island grown
08-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows if we're allowed to keep Blue Shark off the west coast of the island?? fishing on the 7 mile off of Beale they seem to be every where this year. i can't seem to find anything in the fishing reg's about it.

thanks for any info.....

308Lover
08-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Anything like salmon sharks? They're sneaky in the Haida Gwaii, and their skin will rasp through your line as you reel in a coho head.

480ruger
08-14-2010, 03:43 PM
as far as i know you are allowed too keep them.The only shark you are not allowed is the 6 gill,

Monashee
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
what size was it ?

island grown
08-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Anything like salmon sharks? They're sneaky in the Haida Gwaii, and their skin will rasp through your line as you reel in a coho head.

well, you lost me with the salmon shark?
usually we see 4-6ft blue shark off shore. but i had a 10ft'er take half of my spring.

i know they can be good eating so i tried to find them in the reg's, but wfith no luck...

island grown
08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
and of course here i am trying to phone DFO to find out, oh ya.... it's saturday!!

Tuffcity
08-14-2010, 04:30 PM
You are allowed to keep twenty (page 24 of the Tidal Sport guide under other species.)

Nor sure what the meat looks like, but better keep some sort of identifiable piece on it if it even vaguely resembles rockfish or lingcod.

RC

308Lover
08-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Google salmon sharks and you'll get a look at them. I saw dorsal fins more than once--they have a light colored belly. And yes--they are called salmon sharks. My buddy was a commercial fisherman off Haida Gwaii, and explained that to me when I saw the dorsal among a batch of coho that were into needlefish.

Johnnybear
08-15-2010, 11:06 PM
We just got back from fishing the Hyson. My son hooked into one around 7' long. I just googled it and it was definately a Blue shark. It took off to the bottom and must have wrapped itself around the line and broke off. When we got the line to the top there was about 12' of it all frayed (from the skin). Wildest thing we have ever experienced out there yet:-D!!!

island grown
08-16-2010, 08:29 AM
that must have been an experience Johnnybear!!
i just googled the salmon shark... holy crap!! those things are like mini great whites.

capt.T
08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't think you want to eat a blue shark. I caught lots of them in southern california. The only sharks we kept were mako. I was told that mako are good eating because they are the only shark that doesn't urinate through its skin (?). makos are very good eating though, taste like sword fish.

Barracuda
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
i think you will find all sharks and most skates do .

its about handling and prep that has alot to do with the taste .

I actually like shark and skate

CanuckShooter
08-16-2010, 01:54 PM
shark fishing would be a blast!! Any pictures of these blue sharks on the site??