PDA

View Full Version : Quality of goat hide in aug- early sept

Call of the Wild
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
On average what can be expected for billy hide quality in August to early September in northern BC? Lenght, color, quality.

I believe fur must be shorter. on average Goat hunter prefer summer or winter fur for a mount? Any mount pictures to compare would be great.

pg83
08-13-2010, 06:26 PM
We've shot a few goat over the years in the first week of September, but down in region 5. The ranges from about 2" to 8" depending on where on the animal you are talking. Fairly white in colour with some yellowy stuff mixed in. I've never shot a late season goat so I can't compare quality, but we have had our hides tanned out and they were/are in great condition. I can't see it being too different up north unless you are right on the coast maybe.

d6dan
08-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Stay away from early Goat hides...Go for a Late Oct Goat. After all thats why most of us hunt Goats?..At least I used to..

bearslayer01
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
i agree the hide is much better and mor eplush in the later moths usually the last few days even let it get as long as possible u dont want your trophy goat to look like a drown rat

whitetailsheds
08-13-2010, 11:04 PM
This is a late August, young billy from the Dall/ Denetiah area taken on a Stone's hunt.
Short hair, tasted awesome, and looks better on my wall:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/IMG_3284.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/IMG_3288.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/IMG_3289.jpg

08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
the only goats we've taken are early Sept. Reg3. made nice mounts tasted good, sure the hair is not as long as late Oct. but I refuse to make my kids fatherless on some slippery ice coated slopes for a Billy/

I'm sticking to Early Sept.

CT

BCRiverBoater
08-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Capes are longer in October for sure but basically go when you get the time and when the weather works for that area. Late Oct. can be wretched in some goat areas as the snow can be piling up.

Call of the Wild
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Great info guys and very appreciated.

I'm studying now how to identify a billy vs a nanny as well how to recognize mature goats.

Only 10 days before my brother stone sheep or goat hunt. Days are getting longer everyday.

Call of the Wild

jml11
08-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Here are a couple of early Sept goats we have taken in Northern BC.

Hair is decent but of course would have gotten much longer later on...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/100_0158.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P9030008.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P9030011.jpg

Rackmastr
08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Dang I just cant get enough of looking at goats...

By far one of my dream animals to get over to BC and shoot. Such awesome looking critters!!!

I like the look of the early season billies, but those late Sept/early Oct ones are truly awesome!

sheephunter17
08-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Dang I just cant get enough of looking at goats...

By far one of my dream animals to get over to BC and shoot. Such awesome looking critters!!!

I like the look of the early season billies, but those late Sept/early Oct ones are truly awesome!

you shouldve bought that hunt for 5g's on AO eh, oh wait thats right you have 2 big sheep to put down this year haha.:mrgreen:

luckynuts
08-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Buddy of mine has 3 goats mounted out of 9. They were shot end of August, 2nd week of Sept and 2 days before season closed in Oct very little difference except the older 2 billies have a longer beard?. Now if you have the opportunity to hunt late Nov and on that is where you will see the hides become fuller and longer, Jan/Feb in region 6 is a good time to go. all depends on the year, a hot summer and fall = thinner hide.

I will be hunting early sept and then again later if I do not succeed.

Good luck

W.

Steelie73
08-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Here is a picture of a late October goat in Region 6 for comparison. The hair is probably at its maximum length without alot of the wool yet.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/Steelie73/Goat1.jpg

ydouask
08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Yes, would agree with Steeli73... Late October will not only provide a much better hide than Aug/Sept, but they have the added bonus of being EDIBLE !!! Mid Nov.? Not so much.

behemoth
08-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm planning a mid - Sept goat hunt and wasn't even considering taking the hide (except for a small portion for fly tying). But these pics are making me second guess that decision. A nice rug would look good hanging on the wall in the family room:-D

Do you guys bring salt up the mountian with you, or can they stand a 1-2 day wait until you get it back to the truck?

porcupine
08-16-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm going goat hunting the second week of september and I just love looking at those pictures. This would be my first goat if I'm successful.

BCbillies
08-17-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm planning a mid - Sept goat hunt and wasn't even considering taking the hide (except for a small portion for fly tying). But these pics are making me second guess that decision. A nice rug would look good hanging on the wall in the family room:-D

Do you guys bring salt up the mountian with you, or can they stand a 1-2 day wait until you get it back to the truck?

I have never brought salt on a goat hunt. Come September it is usually cool enough or I cape the head and store it in some snow.

A mid September goat with the right set of daggers will be seriously considered for mount on my wall! :-D At this time of year the hide of a billy gets noticeably better every week.

whitetailsheds
08-17-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm going goat hunting the second week of september and I just love looking at those pictures. This would be my first goat if I'm successful.

Good luck!

Caribou_lou
08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I have shot a few goats in late August and early September. Hides were great. Mid september should be a great time to go if your looking to mount your trophy.

luckynuts
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
What!!!!! after seeing all those Excellent pics of Winter/Spring 10" Billies with their Thick thick gorgeous white coats with long beards and enough wool to keep a family warm in -50 are you crazy:mrgreen: I'm sure your Wall Mounter will be the envious of this site and I so look forward to that day when pics are posted.

W.

I have never brought salt on a goat hunt. Come September it is usually cool enough or I cape the head and store it in some snow.

A mid September goat with the right set of daggers will be seriously considered for mount on my wall! :-D At this time of year the hide of a billy gets noticeably better every week.

BCbillies
08-17-2010, 04:56 PM
What!!!!! after seeing all those Excellent pics of Winter/Spring 10" Billies with their Thick thick gorgeous white coats with long beards and enough wool to keep a family warm in -50 are you crazy:mrgreen: I'm sure your Wall Mounter will be the envious of this site and I so look forward to that day when pics are posted.

W.

We'll see what season #15 brings . . . been one heck of a journey trying to fill the spot on the wall. With no sheep hunt this year I'm rather fidgety . . . head out for the first hunt on Sept 8th. Being the second shooter on most trips I'll have the video ready for action with the rifle close at hand and see where the chips fall. I'm not desparate for sausage at the moment! :wink:

BCHunterTV
08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Im hunting Region 4 for the Sept 10 LEH opener, judging from a fellow members last years goat he took the hide was pretty good