PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight adjustment

Rob
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I put a G5 Meta peep sight on my bow the other day at Tims Archery in Chase, this was to replace my tubing sight(or whatever its called). Anyway, I needed to do some adjustments at the range today because my arrow wasnt sitting true so I slid my D-loop down a hair but know my rear sight is not lining up. wondering what the procedure is for fixing it. Thanks, Rob

Bowzone_Mikey
08-12-2010, 09:56 PM
rear sight ...meaning peep ...?

chances are your d-loop is real fricken tight and twisted on the string slightly .... so when you draw the original twist is off by close to 1/4 turn

I personally would take the loop off or loosen it and reinstall .....However I am willing to bet that you dont have that many twists in your string .... probally about 4 or 5 rotations over the whole length ... I put a few more in to totally lock the peep in place when you draw the bow ... more twists usually means the peep wont twist as its drawn ...

Rob
08-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I had no problem with the peep untill I adjusted the D-loop, and yes it was on there tight.

Bow Walker
08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Any time you adjust stuff that's on the string by sliding it up or down - even just a bit - you're twisting the string a bit more and screwing with the alignment of things like peeps and d-loops.

Slide your peep up or down and it alters the string so that now your d-loop is out of kilter and will likely twist the peep out of true when you're at full draw.

BZM has the right advice - loosen up on the d-loop before you change its position, and adding a few twists to the string is a good thing to do because after a few hundred shots your string will relax quite a bit.

Hopefully you have a bow press (or access to one) and you can do the adjustments easily.

Rob
08-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Ill play with it tonight. I can see where having a press would be very handy! Thanks Rob

Bow Walker
08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
This is one of the best investments that you can make if you plan on doing any of your own bow maintenance.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bow_Master_bow_press.jpg

Rob
08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Great idea. $45 through Cabelas isnt to bad either. Although another $45 for a split limb bow. Definitely will come in handy. Rob

Ambush
08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Great idea. $45 through Cabelas isnt to bad either. Although another $45 for a split limb bow. Definitely will come in handy. Rob

Rob, and other past-parallel limb bow owners. CHECK your manual for warranty coverage before using any press.You may not use the Bowmaster press on the Bow Madness, or your limb warranty is void.
I have a Bowmaster that works well on my Mathews Drenalin. I also have a home made version of the Ratchet-Loc press. Neither works on my Bow Madness.You can buy a new adapter for past-parallel limb bows, [ not to be confused with the split limb adapter pictured above] but PSE's website warns specifically against using it.
But it's your bow and your business
I finally just built a linear press to cover it all.

Ike
08-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Rob,

Ambush is right, PSE X-Force bows are not recommended for portable presses like the bowmaster (even with the split limb adapter). When he goes into business selling his linear press I will be in line for one. (hint hint)

For minor string work or changing a string (but not cables) on the X-Force bows you can get PSE's pocket press, which is really a cable with hooks on the end and two harnesses that attach to the cams, and it holds your bow in a slight draw so you can work with the string. It is cheap and well worth the $$ for things like you wan to do.
Check it out as there are two different models for different bow lengths.

Cheers

Rob
08-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Rob, and other past-parallel limb bow owners. CHECK your manual for warranty coverage before using any press.You may not use the Bowmaster press on the Bow Madness, or your limb warranty is void.
I have a Bowmaster that works well on my Mathews Drenalin. I also have a home made version of the Ratchet-Loc press. Neither works on my Bow Madness.You can buy a new adapter for past-parallel limb bows, [ not to be confused with the split limb adapter pictured above] but PSE's website warns specifically against using it.
But it's your bow and your business
I finally just built a linear press to cover it all.

Thanks for the heads-up! P.S How do you like the bow madness?

Ambush
08-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the heads-up! P.S How do you like the bow madness?

The Bow Madness is real good so far. Lot's of things to like about it. But I'm leaving in 1/2 hour for a week of chasing goats and the Drenalin is going along.

Bow Walker
08-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Rob,

Ambush is right, PSE X-Force bows are not recommended for portable presses like the bowmaster (even with the split limb adapter). When he goes into business selling his linear press I will be in line for one. (hint hint)

For minor string work or changing a string (but not cables) on the X-Force bows you can get PSE's pocket press, which is really a cable with hooks on the end and two harnesses that attach to the cams, and it holds your bow in a slight draw so you can work with the string. It is cheap and well worth the $$ for things like you wan to do.
Check it out as there are two different models for different bow lengths.

Cheers
You're right behind me in that line up! :wink:

Do you have a pic of PSE's press?

Ike
08-14-2010, 05:50 PM
The 'press' looks like this, pretty simple and works well except you pretty much need two people to hook it up. The cable harness hooks through specific holes in the outside cam edge, just don't forget to take it off before you shoot again.
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/Ikethearcher/DSCN0135B.jpg

Bow Walker
08-14-2010, 09:10 PM
So it's attached by a buddy while you hold the bow at full draw?

As long as you back the limb bolts off about 2 turns - I think that my Bow Master press is much safer to use. I also believe that PSE is just trying to get you to buy their bow press.

hardnocks
08-14-2010, 09:48 PM
so tell me how are your little fingers going to grip beyond parallel limbs . besides that the cam is to big you would need longer fingers.

Ike
08-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi all,
Actually I forgot that one person can use it, I find it easier to get someone to hook it up though. IIRC it cost $20 or $30? Would be easy to make if you wanted to.

This is not a bow press in the standard sense, I consider it to be a 'field string service device' more than a press.
The bow is only drawn back only a couple of inches before the cable is connected to the cams, and when the string is released it relaxes the string enough you can remove it or whatever you want to do. The cable is only about an inch short when the bow is at rest so it is basically like holding a couple inches of draw. The cams only move a few degrees.

I just used it to give my string a twist a few minutes ago and it took all of a minute.
Hope that describes it better, for real servicing I would prefer a real press but as BW says they are hideously expensive....the only real downfall of the past parallel bows right now.
Cheers

Bow Walker
08-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I just had a look on the PSE website and couldn't find that particular tool. Is it there?

Bowzone_Mikey
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I honestly can say that I am not all that happy with my Bowmaster porable press ... I will be getting one of these tho ...

http://www.nitehawkarchery.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

approved by Mathews, OK for PSEs, and Ok for a Bowtech Destroyer

will cost ya about 120 bucks tho ... but if it can press all these on the road .. it would be well worth it

hardnocks
08-15-2010, 05:39 PM
that is really simple to make. but for 100 bucks buy one ! they work good on a pse .

Bow Walker
08-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd like to see that Pocket Press by PSE in action. I bet a person could make one for zippidy-do-da....

hardnocks
08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd like to see that Pocket Press by PSE in action. I bet a person could make one for zippidy-do-da....

It is easy to make! One just needs to make 2 small welds. 3 5 in 3/8s bolts and some fuel line to cover the bolts and a ratchet strap .

Ike
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
hardnocks,
I like the ratchet strap idea, saves having to waste energy pulling the string. You could also use small shackles (with electrical tape on the bolt if you want to get fancy) to go through the cams

Bowzone Mikey, would you use one of the Nighthawks on an X-Force bow? [That is assuming you liked them and didn't want it to break ;) ]
People at AT either seem to love or hate the Nighthawk press, particularly controversal wrt the X-Force bows, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
08-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Most of AT is like that with anything .... I actually have never used it ... but have seen several vids of it in action and each one is pressing a PSE and the the press points are on the limb tips or very close to... where the axel is. and where PSE tells you to press.

Mathews actually endorses it ..as much as I hate Mathews ... some guy I know believes its better to have a Sister in a Wh0re H0use than a brother with a Mathews... I tend to agree with that ... but thats for another thread .... Anyway .. as I was sayin' ..Mathews endorses it and that actually says alot as they are one of the most anal bow companys around when it comes to not their stuff on their bows.
I like that I can use it on Flared limb bows like the Fred Bear Truth series.

I can see it working on the Bowtech Split riser designs quite well and apparently it works for the Destroyer series of Bows because you can move the press point inward a bit on the limbs ...(Destroyers have the axels on the outside of the limbs)

I have a portable press like what Bowwalker posted ..but it cant be used on PSEs, Destroyers or Flared limb bows ... and its useless on my Diamond Black Ice .. the tit wont fit through the bottom limb because the cam is too big and the split limb adaptors are too wide I only catch the outter edges of the limbs (cant say I am a big fan of that), other than that it serves its purpose well. I bought it for my old school (non parrallel limbs)Hoyts and it works pretty good on my Bowtech 101st

Bow Walker
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
My Bowmaster press works well on my '07 Hoyt Vectrix and my '06 Diamond Liberty. But, then again, both of those bows are considered old-style technology these days. But that's alright, cause I'm an old guy.