PDA

View Full Version : G5 optix xr sights , good or bad?

ROEBUCK
08-12-2010, 05:58 PM
hi guys

looking at these sights !

whats your opinions? are they any good?

thanks

Bow Walker
08-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Key things (for me) to look at and consider are the ease of adjustability of the pins, and whether or not the pins travel well in their tracks. Are they going to get twisted or warped a bit if you tighten them really snug?

That is one of the huge differences between the Spot Hogg sights and the Copper John sights. CJ sights are prone to having the pin tracks getting twisted and worn too easily - IMO.

While the Spot Hogg sights are built like tanks - you really got to try and screw them up.

Ike
08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
I just put the XR (4 pin model) with the .019 pins on my Axe 6 and can give my opinion with the following CAVEAT: I don't have any experience with other higher-end sights like the CJ or Spott Hogg so I can't give a direct comparision.

I bought the sight mainly for the floating pin, I didn't want 7 pins but wanted to be able to shoot out a looong way for fun. I have my pins set for 30, 40 and 50m and use the floating pin out to 80m (so far anyway).

Overall I really like the sight. It seems solid and durable. The pins are fairly bright, even though there is only 6" of F/O it seems plenty bright for most conditions. .019 pins are nice and precise. If I need brighter I can add the light.

Gang adjustment is fine, not precision micro adjust but fairly easy with the dial, and lots of adjustment range including a reversible base.

Pin adjustment is ok but a little finnicky, easy to do BUT you have to adjust two screws and when the locking screw is loose the pin can be sloppy and you can lose your setting if you are not careful.

Floating pin works really well.

Make sure you keep the adjustment screws (especially the floating pin) tensioned when it is locked down or the sight will buzz a lot; snug it up and it is dead quiet. I haven't had anything come loose.

Pin adjuster and travel is different than the standard vertical dovetail slide it is more of an arc, nice thing is the pins remain vertically aligned throughout the adjustment range. The pin arms are solid and the pins do not twist at all, even when really snugging things down. Vertical pin alignment is good at all distances on all pins.

Theoretically, since it is made of magnesium I guess I could always carve a chunk of the sight off to make a fire in an emergency ;)

As an aside, one thing I did do is change the F/O pipe colors around a bit. The standard setup is green, yellow, red, green. Bowzone Mikey made a comment a while back that we often see the different color pins differently, and sure enough the third pin (red) did seem to be off the vertical axis compared to the others. I am a little red/green colorblind so I swapped the bottom two pipes and it is better for my eyes.

I really had a hard time picking a sight. I didn't like the Cobras or a couple other brands I saw. Now I think the only one I would trade it for would be the Spott Hogg Hunter, but it would take some pretty good convincing.

Hope that helps, give me a shout if you have any mroe questions.
Cheers

ROEBUCK
08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
thanks guys

excellant info

Bow Walker
08-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Good revue of the sight Ike. Thanks for posting.

Ike
08-13-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks Bowwalker

I should do one for my new bow as well once I chrono it. Too much else on the go right now though.
Cheers