PDA

View Full Version : Forest Closures

moosinaround
08-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I just heard through the grapevine, that they may be shutting the logging activities down around Prince George in the next day or so. I was wondering how hot and dry it has to get before they start to limit/close access to the Forests to everyone due to extreme forest fire hazards?? Anyone have any knowledge on this? Sure would suck if they did shut the bush down for everyone!! Moosin

bad arrow
08-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm not sure why they would shut the logging down, the reason I say that is when I was logging we always had fire equipment on hand and I cant remember how many fires we put out before they got to big. The guys out in the bush can spot and report right away as well, sounds kinda dum

KodiakHntr
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Logging equipment causes a lot of fires. Pretty simple. When the hazard gets to extreme loggers get shut down.

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet Moosin. Think the last time there was a full bush closure might of been in 2003 in the kootenays and that was right in time for Elk season.

tristanmac
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Second Lake Gate up Nanaimo rivers road is shut. Which sucks beans.

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 05:44 PM
It's so hot I saw squirrels fanning their nuts.

Mauser98
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I just heard through the grapevine, that they may be shutting the logging activities down around Prince George in the next day or so. I was wondering how hot and dry it has to get before they start to limit/close access to the Forests to everyone due to extreme forest fire hazards?? Anyone have any knowledge on this? Sure would suck if they did shut the bush down for everyone!! Moosin

Any curtailment of logging activities would probably be a result of hitting extreme danger class in the area.

When the fire danger hits extreme, all high risk activities have to cease from 1:00 PM to sunset and after 3 consecutive days of extreme(DGR V) high risk activities have to cease all day(ie. on the fourth day). The duration is until after the danger class falls below DGR V for 3 or more consecutive days, or falls below DGR IV

Here'a list of high risk activities.

""high risk activity"" means
(a) mechanical brushing;
(b) disk trenching;
(c) preparation or use of explosives;
(d) using fire- or spark-producing tools, including cutting tools;
(e) using or preparing fireworks or pyrotechnics;
(f) grinding, including rail grinding;
(g) mechanical land clearing;
(h) clearing and maintaining rights of way, including grass mowing;
(i) any of the following activities carried out in a cutblock excluding a road, landing, roadside work area or log sort area in the cutblock:
(i) operating a power saw;
(ii) mechanical tree felling, woody debris piling or tree processing, including de-limbing;
(iii) welding;
(iv) portable wood chipping, milling, processing or manufacturing;
(v) skidding logs or log forwarding unless it is improbable that the skidding or forwarding will result in the equipment contacting rock;
(vi) yarding logs using cable systems;

The stuff above is legislated. Lots of companies have their own set of rules that kick in long before the legislated rules.

Gus
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Logging activities have been shut down for a while out in VHF (Bobtail) excluding load and haul. I know there is contractors that have been shut down in PG for a bit now too. All VHF operations have been on the night shift for most of the summer.

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
It's so hot farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs.

luckynuts
08-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Yep she's dry right now. All oil and gas companies have had their surface water usage put on hold as northern BC is at a 66% decrease in water levels now according to CBC. Though with the Monsoons and thunder storms last 2 nights north of John no one would know it. Can't wait for the early moose hunters to show up... Better have brought chains:mrgreen:.

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
It's so hot up here, the trees are whistling for the dogs ..

moosinaround
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM

It's so hot farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard boiled eggs.

It's so hot up here, the trees are whistling for the dogs ..

Just how hot is it Jelly???

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 07:48 PM
It's so hot I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walking.

camelsfoot
08-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure why they would shut the logging down, the reason I say that is when I was logging we always had fire equipment on hand and I cant remember how many fires we put out before they got to big. The guys out in the bush can spot and report right away as well, sounds kinda dum
You answered your own question. ( I cant remember how many fires we put out before they got to big.) Unless your saying the logging crews didn't start them. If not, who did?

waistdeep
08-12-2010, 08:21 PM

almonds or the cashews? :-D

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 08:59 PM
It so hot the birds had to pick up the worms with potholders ..

The Dawg
08-12-2010, 09:13 PM
It's so hot, people are beginning to understand Jelly...

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 09:14 PM
It's so hot the robins are laying their eggs ... sunny side up

bad arrow
08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
You answered your own question. ( I cant remember how many fires we put out before they got to big.) Unless your saying the logging crews didn't start them. If not, who did?
Good Question, once we were logging some private and a power line came down, hard to say but on the side of the road a couple of times people caused, lightening for a couple, put out 2-3 started by our own logging equipment, once we thought it was arson,(didn't like us logging) I think when you check into it you will find that natural fires are quite commen. My point is simply that when people are there with the proper fire equipment they can readily put them out, or when they start the equipment is there to be johnny on the spot, the mof will pay guys to sit on the side of the road and do FA and wait for deployment. Give a logger some credit,, gheeze

camelsfoot
08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Good Question, once we were logging some private and a power line came down, hard to say but on the side of the road a couple of times people caused, lightening for a couple, put out 2-3 started by our own logging equipment, once we thought it was arson,(didn't like us logging) I think when you check into it you will find that natural fires are quite commen. My point is simply that when people are there with the proper fire equipment they can readily put them out, or when they start the equipment is there to be johnny on the spot, the mof will pay guys to sit on the side of the road and do FA and wait for deployment. Give a logger some credit,, gheeze
I give loggers a lot of credit, as I've lived in a logging community all my life,and owe my living to logging. As I know loggers are not the sole causes of fires It can happen just the same.I also think it would be beneficial for loggers to be employed as fire fighters in these long dry hot periods, as loggers are some of the hardest working people I know. I would rather see loggers employed watching for and fighting fires, and not adding to the risk of starting them.

dutchie
08-13-2010, 07:18 AM
It's so hot, people are beginning to understand Jelly...
:eek::eek:

That is only because when it is hot people drink beer and other tasty beverages! it will pass, we both know it!

Dutchie