PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Tack
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi,
My first post on a new forum.
I am currently living in the West Midlands region of the U.K. but my Wife and I will shortly be emmigrating to British Columbia, probably to the Kelowna or Kamloops area.
My first question concerns availability of Heym rifles. The SR21 bolt-action is quite popular here in the U.K. but I rarely see them advertised in Canada. Is there an official importer or a dealer structure? Also how are these rifles regarded?
Happy to be here,
Tack

Iron-Head
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey there Tack good too see more new people....Hope you enjoy this sight there is lots of usefull recources and advise here.:grin:

huntwriter
04-20-2006, 02:28 PM
I Tack, welcome to HuntingBC. I do not know where you could get Heym rifles here, but I am sure some of our more experienced rifle hunters here will be able to help you with that.
Where in the Midlands are you about? I lived in England for 10 years I know the country well. Used to have girlfriend up in Coventry and some very good friends of mien live in Manchester.

Tack
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I Tack, welcome to HuntingBC. I do not know where you could get Heym rifles here, but I am sure some of our more experienced rifle hunters here will be able to help you with that.
Where in the Midlands are you about? I lived in England for 10 years I know the country well. Used to have girlfriend up in Coventry and some very good friends of mien live in Manchester.
Many thanks for the warm welcome.
I was born and raised in (relatively) rural Shropshire but for the last 7 years I have been living in Brierley Hill, near Dudley in the Black Country.
Coventry has had some bad news recently what with 2 local car plants closing. I have to say that I hate big cities for all but short visits.
I have been to B.C. twice with my Wife, she has an Aunt and Cousins living near Cranbrook. I fell in love with the place but it has taken 2 years to arrange all the paperwork etc. But it is probably now just a 5 month wait at most - just in time for the elk season!
Kind regards
Tack

todbartell
04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
is there any sort of Residence wait-time before getting a license?

welcome to HBC! :wink:

Iron-Head
04-20-2006, 09:46 PM
just in time for the elk season!

Just wondering but when you say Elk, Do you meen what we would call a moose. The reeson I ask this question is because I have a 2 book set called "Game and Hunting" and it is stated there that in aome places they call what we know as Moose' Elk'.
Symon

lip_ripper00
04-20-2006, 10:13 PM
welcome to HBC had to get my 05 AA road atlas out to see where your at, my wife is from Stoke on Trent and still have brothers in Uttoxeter and Wrexham I wish they would get their sh*t together and come over to stay. You will love it here. Hope the move over goes smoothly Steve

ryanb
04-20-2006, 10:22 PM
is there any sort of Residence wait-time before getting a license?

welcome to HBC! :wink:

Indeed there is, 1 year of permanent residence I believe.

huntwriter
04-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Indeed there is, 1 year of permanent residence I believe.

I am a immigrant and I had to wait until my immigration was complete. 1 1/2 years later and 15,000 dollars (immigration cost) short. I could apply for a resident hunting licence and was told that 6 month living in B.C. is required to be conciderd a resident hunter.

huntwriter
04-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Just wondering but when you say Elk, Do you meen what we would call a moose. The reeson I ask this question is because I have a 2 book set called "Game and Hunting" and it is stated there that in aome places they call what we know as Moose' Elk'.
Symon

Yep, in Europe we call a moose elk and an elk a stag. Confused yet?:grin:

huntwriter
04-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Many thanks for the warm welcome.
I was born and raised in (relatively) rural Shropshire but for the last 7 years I have been living in Brierley Hill, near Dudley in the Black Country.
Coventry has had some bad news recently what with 2 local car plants closing. I have to say that I hate big cities for all but short visits.
I have been to B.C. twice with my Wife, she has an Aunt and Cousins living near Cranbrook. I fell in love with the place but it has taken 2 years to arrange all the paperwork etc. But it is probably now just a 5 month wait at most - just in time for the elk season!
Kind regards
Tack
Well Tack, here we have something in common, I don't like big cities either. I am very familiar with Dudly and the surrounding area. As for Coventy, I always felt a little sorry for the people there. It's a town that had its biggest time during the war with all the heavy industry after that it went just down hill.

I think it will be a little short for the hunting season this year. When you here you still have to make a CORE and firearm safety course and then go trough all the red tape to get your PAL. By the time that is all over it will be spring. Spring bear or turkey hunting season will be the earliest for you. Unless our new "boss" Harper gets issues moving and cut the red tape down. But don't let that bother you to much as you will get plenty of hunting done here whenever you are set to go. The way I see it, it's a hunters heaven here in B.C.

Fred
04-20-2006, 11:24 PM
Heck, there is also great fishing and gold panning in the Cranbrook area to keep one occupied! :wink: Fred

huntwriter
04-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Heck, there is also great fishing and gold panning in the Cranbrook area to keep one occupied! :wink: Fred

Of course Fred, my bad, I neglected to mention our great fishing and gold panning. Like I said, if it's the outdoors a person craves B.C. is the place to be. There is no place in all of North America that has such a variety of game animals and yes, we are North Americas fishing capitol.:-D

Tack
04-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Symon
Hi,
Thanks for all the responses so far.
As far as I remember my Wife's Cousin's Husband calls them elk. Elk are related to our native red deer but red deer are much smaller.
Confusingly, what we in Europe would call an elk is a moose in North America and just to finish off, what North Americans call a caribou - we call a reindeer.
I'm not worried about having to wait for a hunting license. I have almost as much fun just being with like minded people, at one with nature, watching wildlife which has no knowledge of my presence. Bliss!
Regards
Tack

Elkhound
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
And what we call soccer is your football........:wink:
Thats okay, welcome anyway. A good hunting partner of mine moved to BC from the UK a few years ago. Loves it here.

johnes50
04-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi,
My first post on a new forum.
I am currently living in the West Midlands region of the U.K. but my Wife and I will shortly be emmigrating to British Columbia, probably to the Kelowna or Kamloops area.
My first question concerns availability of Heym rifles. The SR21 bolt-action is quite popular here in the U.K. but I rarely see them advertised in Canada. Is there an official importer or a dealer structure? Also how are these rifles regarded?
Happy to be here,
Tack

Welcome Tack.

Never heard of a Heym rifle.

In North America we tend to buy brands of guns that won the West. IE: Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Browning, CIL, Cooey, etc. You are probably more familiar with Europen branded firearms, which we may not be familiar with. John

Fred
04-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Welcome Tack.

Never heard of a Heym rifle. John

You must have lead a sheltered life John! ;-) :biggrin: They are alleged to be of superior quality. Fred

youngfellla
04-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Here are some Heym rifles. The bolt action is the Magnum Express rifle, which is a Mauser type action. It can be chambered from 300 Win Mag all the way up to 600 Nitro Express!:eek: The double rifle is the model 88. Awesome rifles if you can afford one.:mrgreen:

Foxer
04-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Yep, in Europe we call a moose elk and an elk a stag. Confused yet?

Yet? I'm still trying to puzzle out how it's possible to have a "west midland". Wouldn't that be 'westland'? :)

Anyway - welcome to Canada bud (even if it's a little premature :) ). You may not be able to hunt moose-elk (or whatever) this year - but you CAN get a non-resident license right away.

That'll let you hunt small game. Like duck-geese. :)

Tack
04-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Yet? I'm still trying to puzzle out how it's possible to have a "west midland". Wouldn't that be 'westland'? :)

Anyway - welcome to Canada bud (even if it's a little premature :) ). You may not be able to hunt moose-elk (or whatever) this year - but you CAN get a non-resident license right away.

That'll let you hunt small game. Like duck-geese. :)
The Midlands of England extend roughly from the border with Wales in the west all the way to, but generally not including the eastern counties of Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
The County of the West Midlands was created to take in parts of Warwickshire and Staffordshire and basically encompasses the cities of Birmingham, Coventry and Wolverhampton plus all of the towns contained therein.
The place is a melting pot of millions of people from a huge number of cultures and ethnic backgrounds. Crime is out of control, drugs and poverty are rife and there are few places where one can go to avoid humans - and people ask me why I want to emmigrate!
Regards
Tack

Foxer
04-21-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you made it out just in time.

Well i hope you like your new home - both kelowna and kamloops are pretty great places, especially if you're an out-doorsy type. There's plenty of game, and loads of places to chase 'em.

Fido
04-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I think Kamloops is best as my mom&dad live there and i played hockey there. The out doors is still big there ie:fishing,hunting or just camping you can"t go wrong by living there. It's not as busy as Kellowa and some parts still have the small town feel. Just my 2cents.

johnes50
04-22-2006, 09:16 AM
The place is a melting pot of millions of people from a huge number of cultures and ethnic backgrounds. Crime is out of control, drugs and poverty are rife and there are few places where one can go to avoid humans - and people ask me why I want to emmigrate!
Regards
Tack[/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like Toronto Tack.

Thanks youngfella for the pictures of the Heym guns. They look like high-end guns. Maybe that's why I never heard of them. :grin: John

Tack
04-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,
If I remember correctly Heym had a tie-up some years ago with Sturm Ruger. I may be wrong but I seem to remember Ruger importing some of the higher end double rifles.
Either way their "basic" bolt-action rifle is now the SR21. These are generally considered better quality that "standard" rifles available from Remington or Winchester.
I like them because they have clean, classic lines but the fit and finish is excellent. It would be a shame if these fine rifles were not available in what I consider to be the finest hunting region of the World.
Tack

youngfellla
04-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes, Heym did have some connections with Ruger. The Heym HR-30, which was first built in the 1970's, was basically a Heym rifle built on the Ruger No. 1 single shot action, with all of the Heym custom engravings and high-quality stock.

kishman
04-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi Tack, and welcome to HBC, I visit both Kamloops and Kelowna several times a year as I have family in both places. If it were me deciding which to move to I think I'd go with Kamloops, not only is the cost of buying a home cheaper, you don't have to deal with the traffic, I was in Kelowna last week and the traffic was awfull, worse than New Westminster or Burnaby (suburbs of Vancouver). Also the Kamloops area is home to some of the finest fly-fishing in the whole world! >>if you like that kind of thing:grin: . Don't get me wrong, Kelowna has got to be one of the nicest places in all of Canada, beautiful weather, golf, nightlife, watersports of every kind imaginable, it's gotta be BC's top vacation destination I would think, but if it's a small community "feel" your looking for Kamloops is it. Please don't be mad at me Kelowna guys:shock: :wink: .

kishman

Mooseman
04-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Wecome Tack to HBC and then soon BC !

Here a link to Heym http://www.heym-waffenfabrik.de/english/indexeng.html

Sorry about the price tag. :shock: But they are nice :-D

Fred
04-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Kamloops!! SMALL??? :biggrin: Fred