PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting in Region 4-8 Zone C

TerryUrb
08-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I have an ELH for Cow/calf Elk for 4-8 Zone C around Castlegar north to Benninger Creek and I can hunt below 1100 meters.

Is there anyone that knows much about the Elk herds in this Zone? I have about a 4 hour drive to get to this location and it sure would be good to have some ideas of where to look.

I also noted in the regs that there is no Bull Elk available until after the rut in October. That worries me a bit that the Elk herds have been hunted hard.

Any thoughts?

Terry

deeks1989
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey man I live in region 4-08 we have lots of elk over this way.....
That cow draw is a good draw. If I were you I would go up to the powerline just above "Glade"(small town). I am sure you will see some elk in there....
Good luck.
what month did you get it for?

TerryUrb
08-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Deeks,
I Google Earth "Glade" and see it is on the east side of the river. I see a strip going North to South, which I think is probably the power line. My LEH is from Sept 1 to the 30th. I am thinking that I should hunting starting on the 1st when the animals are not yet spooked.

Are there other areas as well that might have some Elk herds? Are there some farmers that would like us to harvest a elk off their farm? That would be pretty cool.

If you could provide me with a contact number, I would be happy to have a coffee with you when I get up there. My email is terryurb@telus.net
Name: Terry Urbanowski
I live in Vernon.:-D

Brambles
08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
the elk won't be down in the glade fields in Sept

TerryUrb
08-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up on not being there. Where would you suggest would be a good location to find them?

Terry

bad arrow
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
The next valley over, Cranbrooks got lots....just kidding, I was wondering the same, are the elk down low at that time of year? it would seem to me that most of the elk would be at the upper ranges at that time, but the resident elk would be hanging around at the lower ranges

Devilbear
08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Most WK Elk in early season will be close to water sources in "safety" and "heat" cover and many will be on private land, year 'round. This coming season is going to be a REAL "zoo" because of the opening for 6 pts. in October.

There is a tip, here, if you can read a map and see what is where. I am going myself and know the country well and am not about to say exactly where, but, you can figure it out. One point, the fewer roads, the more Elk.

Vader
08-13-2010, 07:17 AM
An old guy told me to look at the 2500 ft level... Always find them there early season.
4-08C+ includes parts of 4-15, 4-16 and 4-17 below 1200m. Lots of opportunity in all of these.. If hot and dusty... find water and look to the northeast slopes or dark timber and canyons. GPS and google earth will help you zero in.. the rest will be foot work.

Yamnuska
08-13-2010, 07:49 AM
What is the point of bow only season Sept 1 to 9 if LEH guys are blasting with rifles?

scope-bite
08-13-2010, 08:07 AM
What is the point of bow only season Sept 1 to 9 if LEH guys are blasting with rifles?

The early LEH is elevation restricted (<1200 m) while the bow season isn't.

bad arrow
08-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Unless I'm not reading it right, there isn't a bow only in region 4-08 for elk

scope-bite
08-13-2010, 08:29 AM
That too...duh.

Brambles
08-13-2010, 08:30 AM

Yeah there is no archery season in the new zones they've opened up.

scope-bite
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I have an ELH for Cow/calf Elk for 4-8 Zone C around Castlegar north to Benninger Creek and I can hunt below 1100 meters.

Is there anyone that knows much about the Elk herds in this Zone? I have about a 4 hour drive to get to this location and it sure would be good to have some ideas of where to look.

I also noted in the regs that there is no Bull Elk available until after the rut in October. That worries me a bit that the Elk herds have been hunted hard.

Any thoughts?

Terry

The elk around there haven't been hunted hard at all considering this will be the first year that bulls are on GOS. You also get the first crack at the cows with your early season draw. I would call the C.O's in Castlegar and the wildlife branch in Nelson to ask about areas where they are having issues with nuisance elk. They might be able to set you up with a landowner for a private land hunt. I hear garden-fed elk are the best eating:-D

Yamnuska
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

I am such a stupid good looking.

Well there should be. Nevermind.

So used to reading deer 4-1 to 4-9 that I just missed the 4-1 to 4-7, 4-18 to 4-30.

TerryUrb
08-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks Guys for your input.
I haven't had an LEH for 3 years and finally got one again. The last LEH, I caught a cow and calf and took the calf. The cow ran and then returned to stand by the calf for a few minutes and then left as I approached. One shot, no suffering, heart/lung shot. I felt a bit sorry, but we all got to eat and Elk is YUMMY, even my wife likes Elk. When I get an LEH, it is only for the meat.

I am also a bow hunter as is my hunting buddy. I have missed several animals with the bow, of which one deer was a pass through and I could not find her. We both shot two mule bucks last year with our bows. The bow are quiet, but when you want meat, nothing much gets away from my 300 Win Mag.

Thanks Devilbear for your assistance. I don'k know the area at all, and having help narrows the tracking time. If you have a suggestion and you don't want others to know, could you email me? Thanks for your help. My email is terryurb@telus.net.

Thanks a bunch
Terry
Vernon, B.C.

deeks1989
08-13-2010, 09:13 PM
the elk won't be down in the glade fields in Sept

yea I thought you had the late season tag......

smoothbor
08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
the early sept draw is kinda tough one, I live here in castlegar, my friend had the oct draw last year and it was still kinda hot and he got one but they werent running all over, best bet is heavy timber and water sources for sure, they werent really down to low either, but dont get me wrong lots of elk on some of these private lands in the valleys and such.

TerryUrb
08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Hi SmoothBor
Thanks for the input. Do you know any farmers that would allow us to go onto their property and hunt? Could you email me at terryurb@telus.net if you know?

Thanks,
Terry
Vernon, B.C.

smoothbor
08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Urb, it is kinda hit and miss with alot of the farmers as most would like to let you hunt but the guy living next door might not and it starts to create a problem in the community as there are as many antis around as hunters but i will do a little digging for you with a few that i know that have let people hunt in the past and will get back to you

Brambles
08-18-2010, 05:06 PM
yea I thought you had the late season tag......

Do you know something I don't?