PDA

View Full Version : Babine Lake area for Grizz.........

huntcoop
04-20-2006, 12:19 PM
My hunting partner got a spring Grizz LEH tag for the area around Babine Lake, MU 6-8. We've never hunted that area and was wondering if anyone could shed a little light on some hot spots to go and check out. Any info would be helpful as LEH's are getting hard to come by and this may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

steel_ram
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
The only grizzly's I've seen around there where when fishing on the river near the Salmon Weir.

derek p
04-20-2006, 06:53 PM
Yes, most of the grizz are seen at the counting fence in late suimmer and fall. the grizz cubs in my gallery are taken below the fence and before the bridge.
The area north and west of the camp (Nilkitwa river) is a great spot for moose and grizzly, the area has undergone some logging in the time I was there last and these slashes and logging scars would be prime spots.
The last of the ice normally comes off Nilkitwa lake near the end of april and the smolt shed opens.
Another area is the Nichyeskwa river.
I heard stories from the natives in fort babine, not to hitch hike to smithers (120kms south) as one of the natives was mauled on the road either into or out of Fort Babine. The majority of wolves and grizz that I have seen were on the trips into or outof camp.
I dont know much about the pendelton bay area, toply or granisle.
hope this helps.

boxhitch
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Maybe try checking with the outfitter that works that area, and IF he doesn't offer spring bear hunts, he may offer some info. A dead bear is a good bear to him also.
Just looked it up.
Double Eagle Outfitters .com
Grizzly Lake Outfitters
Tukii Lodge .bc .ca
These have a part in 6-08. Maybe others ?

youngfellla
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Boxhitch, that is good advice. Contrary to popular belief, most Outfitters will be glad to have resident hunters take a few bears out of their territory. They can be very helpful with making your hunt a successful one, because they know the area better than anyone.:grin:

Bison
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
There is a great outfitter group at Babine Lake. I would be inclinde to find them and use them.

sawmill
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
I lived around there half my life,If you want a real chance at a grizz get the hell away from Babine and head up to Hazelton and hunt the Suskwa forest road,locals call it the Bear road.Miles of south slopes in logged areas that green up first along the river and since the Province wide grizz draw system,ZERO hunters.It is in 6-8 and it`s a hell of a lot better country for bears.Buy a blackie tag too cause you could see as many as 15 to 20 a day and some big *******sIf you want proof contact Debbie Nelson at Caribou Taxi in Quesnel,she took a friggen monster with me there,and her husband got a 7.5 black the same trip.He got his grizz the year before with me{but hers kicked its ass!Squared just under 11ft.
Anyway ,if yer gonna drive a long way to hunt ,that is by far your finest bet and it`s closer that driving to Ft. Babine and way more acsesible.Hazelton is 45 miles up the road from Smithers and the Suskwa turnoff is on your right 6 or so miles before Hazelton.If you miss it stop at the NewTown Pub ,right on the hiway in town and ask anyone.And tell them Joe says HI!And I miss them.GoodluckFeel fre to PM me if you need a contact up or other places to go there.I hate to see a fellow hunter waste his time and money .:-D

sawmill
04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
P.S ,I got this guy one the Suskwa,squared 10-6 :grin:

Iron-Head
04-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Nice bear! I love the mount.!
Symon

BCrams
04-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Suskwa River area is the place to be by Hazelton for spring grizzly.

boonerbuck
04-24-2006, 12:12 PM
sawmill, pm sent.