PDA

View Full Version : 7-16 tag along trip.... go or no go?

Angel
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I have been invited to join a friend of mine and his 2 friends for their shared moose hunt this Middle/End of Sept. I am not part of their moose hunt but might be interested in scouting the area and see what I can find. I am not really interested in a mulie because I have my mulie trip in Oct. So the question is, would it be worth the trip to try and find a immy moose or 6pt elk or even whitetail in that area. I am not really wanting to drive up there to just watch them look for moose, so if any of you guys think it would be a good trip to go on, any thoughts would be great.

just so this thread doesn't get confused for someone looking for honey holes, I am not asking for any locations or spots to hunt. I am only looking for advise on whether or not I should give her a try for something other than Mule Deer or if my time would be better spent somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

lip_ripper00
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Don't forget their are some BIG bears in the area:wink:

Benthos
08-10-2010, 11:45 AM
big black bears and 2-point moose is probably your best bet. elk are around, but sparse. i wouldn't be making the trip soley for elk.

if you are driving that far, you could drive 2 more hours and be in an area with much more liberal elk/moose seasons.

which zone of 7-16 is it? zone c definitely gets the most pressure, a and b not so much.

would you be getting part of the moose that were shot? your friends likely have a good chance of shooting a bull, or two, however, if you don't get any of the meat because you aren't part of the 'shared hunt', not sure if i would make the trip. or, convince them to wait an extra week as i believe calf season opens in 7-16 on oct 1st. your chances of shooting a calf are FAR BETTER than a 6-point elk or a 2-point.

Angel
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I havent asked about getting any meat so I do not know. They are going to zone-a. My biggest issue is I am not a big Bear hunter, so for me I would want Elk or Moose but a 2pt isn't the easiest to find. I would take a nice deer if that was my only option. I am starting to think this trip isn't the one for me.

anymore thoughts?

Brett
08-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Don't see to many deer in that area it realy is kind of a " moose spot" more than anything, if your friends can call they should have no prob with a moose

srupp
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmm have hunted up there..up Hospital creek..and over from willow River..

sheesh only seen 1 deer in there in many many many years..and friends I asked saw the same deer and NONE for.. 15 years not a deer area..PERIOD.

Not many elk around there either..:confused:...

using Eaglet lake..or some of the smaller lakes a bit nort..there ARE moooosies.....good #'s they like the areas closer to the Fraser river...Parsnip..Mcgreggor etc..but still huntable amounts north of there.....wouldnt be my first choice...hmmm or second...

Steven

Benthos
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
zone-a is in the northern part, starting around Tacheeda Lakes and heading north along the parsnip to the Mackenzie Junction.

not many deer, although they are there. I shot a small 2x2 mulie in there a few years ago. by far the best bet is for moose. i had an leh a few years ago and wacked a small bull with minimal effort.

i'd check on the sharing of the moose meat. if it is a yes, it is probably worthwhile.

if it is a no, i'd probably stick closer to home to look for a 2-point. or, like i mentioned, convince them to wait until october 1st so you can at least hunt for calves.

i believe eaglet lake is in 7-7. north of eaglet across the Fraser is 7-16c.

Angel
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
its not really a big deal to me whether or not they get a moose, I just would like to have a purpose of going rather than being a tag along. Hows the lake fishing there, any info on that?

Angel
08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
zone-a is in the northern part, starting around Tacheeda Lakes and heading north along the parsnip to the Mackenzie Junction.

not many deer, although they are there. I shot a small 2x2 mulie in there a few years ago. by far the best bet is for moose. i had an leh a few years ago and wacked a small bull with minimal effort.

i'd check on the sharing of the moose meat. if it is a yes, it is probably worthwhile.

if it is a no, i'd probably stick closer to home to look for a 2-point. or, like i mentioned, convince them to wait until october 1st so you can at least hunt for calves.

i believe eaglet lake is in 7-7. north of eaglet across the Fraser is 7-16c.

Thanks Benthos, i appreciate the honesty. lol it sucks driving alot of K's and gas $$ to look at tree's unless thats what you want :mrgreen:

ianwuzhere
08-10-2010, 12:49 PM
i have seen whitetail in 7-16. If you can get the time off work, any hunting trip is better than workin or sittin at home ;). i cant remember where zone a is but i use to fish boundary lake-would be on the south side of 7-16 towards the fraser river- nice lil lake to camp and fishing for rainbows average size was usually good. theres also freya and averil close by as well...

kgs
08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I say go a white tail or an immy moose is a good enough excuse for me so I say go you have nothing to lose.

270WSMGB
08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
If your not real serious about hunting for a moose in the area. There is no point to go. Going there for just a 2 point is in my opinion not recommended. There are many other areas I would go to for that. There is bigger bang for the buck else where.

moosinaround
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
So, 7-16c is a moosie spot for sure. If you like the outdoors it will be a cool trip. ATV hunting is good, road hunting is good, and hiking is good. Seeing an Immature is definately possible too. If you are around the southern edge of the MU, along the fraser river to the north, you just may be able to bugle in a bull elk. You definately will hear one I'll bet!! Mulies up the Severeid are tough to find, but are there, I seen a beautiful 3x3 a few years back in the most un-deery place ever??!!! Fishing in Otter lake and in the mCgregor river should be good, and it is a pretty good place to hang out for Immature moose too! The Bend FSR is pretty grown up now, but get in off the river and set up a tree stand and call, you will find mucho bull moose action. If it was me, and I have never been up in the Mcgregors, I would go just to go. It is in the mountains, and it is a pretty cool place to hang out for a few days. Go, what the hell, it isn't work!!!

Moosin

jml11
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Not much for whitetails in 7-16a but a few mulies...if your mulie hunt is another region no reason why you can't pop up here and still shoot another one later. A few small elk herds are around as well as anywhere else around PG. Of all the spike-fork moose seasons in the province, your best chances of finding one are in Regions 7a and 7b...I think there is a decent chance you could find one. I have shot three bull moose in 7-16a and pointed people to two others so I know it well. Also been on 5 immy kills in 7 years here...and seen numerous others...they are out there believe it or not!! I would go but that's because I love moose hunting!! wait...stay home there are no moose here, I forgot...:confused:

Angel
08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
lol thanks for the info! I will let you know what happens.

peashooter
08-10-2010, 08:03 PM
unless they cut you in on some meat for helping pack and keep up on camp chores it would be a waste of time. concentrate on an area closer to home where you could bump into a 2 point moose as a bonus but have elk and deer possibilities also. just one gas savers opinion.

scope-bite
08-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Be a good friend and join your buddies for the hunt. I've gone along as the "caller"/assistant pack bitch in the same MU during the rut and it was an awesome hunt! Few hunters and lots of action. The good karma might even pay off in the form of a 2-point bull close to the road.

CRS
08-10-2010, 08:16 PM
FWIW, if you can afford to do it, I would. ANY chance to get out, see some country, pop a few grouse, sit, look, hike and listen.... sounds like perfection to me. Being out there is first and foremost, bagging an animal is the bonus. I took a 3 part holiday this year b/c work is just too busy. camping with the kids a few times on weekends, taking the wife to Vegas in a couple weeks, but honestly, ALL I can think about are the 6 days I get in Oct to "recharge"! Go if you can....then tell us all about it!:mrgreen: