PDA

View Full Version : All round best dog??

Angel
08-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Just an open discussion, when it comes to dogs what breed would you say is the best family companion with a nice mix for a hunter? Doesn't have to be for the pure hunter but a dog that would work for a hunter but most importantly be great with a family.

Im guessing Labs and Goldens will be at the top of the list:-D

Bushman
08-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Owned quite a few different breeds of hunting/family dogs over the last 40 or so years and Labs are right up there at the top of my best list.

cmac
08-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Hard to go wrong with retrievers, I have a golden and a flat coatetd retriever, both have thier quirks but are excellent with my kids.

mainland hunter
08-08-2010, 08:04 AM
I'll take my amstaff and boxerx hunting this year for the first time and see, but as for family pet those 2 breeds are fantastic.

Kasomor
08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Just an open discussion, when it comes to dogs what breed would you say is the best family companion with a nice mix for a hunter? Doesn't have to be for the pure hunter but a dog that would work for a hunter but most importantly be great with a family.

It's what ever breed the person your asking either owns now or grew up with. :razz:

Sasquatch
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
I would agree that labs and goldens are great breeds as far as being family pets are concerned.

But, it's becoming more and more difficult to find hunting quality goldens these days, as the gene pool has been weakened by the "show dog" breeders. They are still out there, but fewer of them all the time.

Shooter
08-08-2010, 08:49 AM
It's what ever breed the person your asking either owns now or grew up with. :razz:

Very true. I have a Springer right now that is an AWESOME family member and a Brittany on the way up. I grew up with labs, Rotti's, mutt's but my best dog growing up has to be hands down our Doberman that we had. Not a hunter but the best dog we ever owned as a kid. Our Springer these days gives her a run for best family pet but I'll always have a soft spot for a nice doby.

bsa30-06
08-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Golden Retreiver........However having said that i think most breeds can be a excellent family pet , good with kids,good with other animals,protective etc.....depending on how they were raised.We had several different dogs growing up and two of them came from being abandoned in the bush.One was just a very young pup that was thrown into the bush to die when we got her ,the forestry guy found her and brought her into the lake we were camped at he couldnt keep her so we did.She turned out to be a great family pet.The other was a blue heeler we got that was tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere with chicken wire he was there for several days before being cut loose,half starved to death and very scared of people we suspected he had been hit lots but after a few days of seeing this dog around and talking to him and trying to get close to him we had him sleeping in our tent with us.He came home with us aswell.

BlacktailStalker
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
"Hunter" is a broad term.
That automatically limits you to either birds or big game... or does it?

My doberman that recently passed treed bears and flushed grouse on a regular basis, on her own while shed hunting or hiking (which she found as well) and I never shot anything over her.
She also chased both grizz and black bears away from my ex's lodge on the Dean River, treeing the biggest black bear I've seen to date (I've seen a lot in trees !)
I once used her to flush pheasants deliberately on a farm but the ones she flushed were out of range.
Man I miss her.

I vote doberman.

leadpillproductions
08-08-2010, 10:02 AM
labs for me

BCBRAD
08-08-2010, 10:09 AM
my vote would be Airedale's, we are on our second and third now. They are protective of property and children, don't shed, can be stubborn a kind but firm hand they repond really well. two airedales working together wiil deal with any intruder.......fearless

Chuck
08-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I'd go with Lab, Retriever, or oft forgotten Spaniel. All three are especially people and water friendly and Spaniel gives you large & small. Imo.

Ubertuber
08-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Labs. I don't care for long haired dogs.

oldtimer
08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
No Brainer, lol had five labs over the years and in my humble opinion there is no better family dog. Mike

JeremyCarrano302
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Jack russells terriors are good dogs if u train them properly and don't have more than 2 or they start tpo get all territorial and pack hunt each other
If u want a bigger dog get a border collie there smart and very friendly

srupp
08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Labs...they are noted for gentleness, loyalty, and once trained obedience..cant go wrong with the first 2 and with the 3rd..:mrgreen:

Steven

buck nash
08-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Jack russells terriors are good dogs if u train them properly and don't have more than 2 or they start tpo get all territorial and pack hunt each other
If u want a bigger dog get a border collie there smart and very friendly

The best way to ruin a good dog is to get another one.

Its more than twice as hard to raise two dogs. You have to be on them all the time and train them undividually as well as together.

Not saying it can't be done by any means but you have to spend a lot of time working/playing with each dog or they tend to look to eachother for guidance. And the last thing you want is your jack russel pup influencing your 90lb ridgeback's behaviour (personal experience).

However rowdy they are, both my ridgeback and my J.R. are amazingly patient with my son who climbs all over them and grabs their faces, ears, tails, legs, etc.

I'd recomend either breed.

Casagrande
08-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Labs. When the old boy passes on, the next one is going to be a true gun dog.

Marc
08-08-2010, 02:03 PM
I've had two Labs and for someone who is starting out it's probably a good bet if you're looking for a good natured pet / retriever. Most of them are gentle giants but still need walks every day and play.

I prefer labs over goldens and duck tollers because their hair is shorter and doesn't snags all kind of stuff while in the field / marsh like the other two. When Labs get dirty it just dries and falls off. Yes they do shed but so do most breeds. Probably the lowest maintenance when it comes to coats.

I now own a chessie but wouldn't suggest it to someone starting off or not willing to put the effort into training and spending time with the dog. They are the type of dog you need to be on top of from the first year or so. They are the type of dog that if you're not going to lead they'll gladly take over the role of being the alpha. The majority of people think that Chessies are just chocolate labs, wrong! They are totally different breeds of dogs. Chessie's need lots and I mean lots of exercise. They also need to work their brains so they don't get bored and make their own fun, trust me its definitely cheaper to take your dog out doing drills then letting them get bored creating their own fun.

Something I've noticed between a lab and a chessie owning both at the same time, the chessie dries in less then half the time it takes for my lab to dry off. I'll take my chessie retrieving in the water for a half km up a road and stop retrieving at the end, by the time we walk back to the truck the chessie is only damp to the touch compared to getting soaked trying to load my lab in the truck.

If it was my choice my next dog would still be a Chesapeake bay retriever. There is just something about them, maybe it's because they remind me so much of myself, stubborn as hell.:mrgreen:

Buckster
08-08-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd have to say labs or a lab x

Angel
08-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree that most people will go with the dog they grew up with, but from personal experiences I wouldn't choose Wheaton Terriers. Now remember my options were more towards a family companion and hunting second. The reason I said hunting in there was because I didnt want to include little fluffy yappy things lol.

so remember keys are EASILY trainable, family first and hunting second. Even if the hunting part is as small as a companion or just retrieving grouse and stuff. A pup that can be trained to walk quietly with you in the bush and pay close attention to its handler.

lol I thought Labs would be a top choice.

Shooter
08-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I say Springer for what you describe.

Ruger4
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Labs , goldens and chessies , had at least 1 of each and more often than not 2 at a time.
Labs and Golden are true great family dogs but as Marc very well put the Chessies are a different breed altogether and not for a beginner dog handler. Superb gun dogs, braver than most other breeds in the harshest of elements , that said probably a portugese water dog for me next , but hopefully not for a while !! :mrgreen:

bad arrow
08-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I have had 2 german shepards, a golden lab, and now the best dog I have ever owned a Bouvier, a low energy, non yappy fellow that takes his guard dutys seriously, exellent with people and has some real sense when it comes to who is friend or foe. His long fur is his only downfall as he needs to be groomed regularly or they mat up, and burdocks are their worst enemy, I'd get another.

buck nash
08-08-2010, 09:14 PM
What about a Weimaraner. Said to be great family dogs and excellent all round hunter. They love to retrieve and flush and make pretty good hounds.

I've known quite a few and never met one I didn't like. plus the short hair is a bonus.

Angel
08-09-2010, 08:42 AM
What about a Weimaraner. Said to be great family dogs and excellent all round hunter. They love to retrieve and flush and make pretty good hounds.

I've known quite a few and never met one I didn't like. plus the short hair is a bonus.

the only issue i really see with the Weim's and GSP's is the fact they are so hyper and hi energy. I don't think a GSP or Weim would make a great family pet unless you don't work or have an acreage.

mtnmanmike
08-09-2010, 10:00 AM
bluetick hounds if you plan to hunt cats. harder to train but very loyal and listen well once you put the training in.

08-09-2010, 10:13 AM

so remember keys are EASILY trainable, family first and hunting second. Even if the hunting part is as small as a companion or just retrieving grouse and stuff. A pup that can be trained to walk quietly with you in the bush and pay close attention to its handler.

lol I thought Labs would be a top choice.

You just described a lab... They will be family and hunters.
The block heads tend to be more "Stable" IMO.

mijinkal
08-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Dk's all the way!! I know you've already done your research on the breed and were close to getting one. Just go out and do it!! You won't regret it!

My pup's almost 4 months now and he's very calm and easy to train. He behaves perfectly with the kids too. My dog will be a family pet first, and a hunting partner second. He will get me out hunting a lot more though. You're in Langley, we should meet up with Grady and he can help you make your decision.

I was close to deciding on getting a Weimaraner or GSP, but I wasn't a fan of their high energy levels, plus a lot of them are off the wall for the first couple years. Thankfully Dutchie opened my eyes to the DK here on HBC. If you want an ultimate hunting dog and family pet, go with a DK.

Other dogs that top my list for family/ hunting dogs are DD's, Labs, Golden retrievers.

srupp
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
hmmm mijinkal..sorry BUD thats a sturgeon your holding..not a DK...LOL

JUST HAVING SOME FUN...OOOOOOPS

Steven

Angel
08-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Dk's all the way!! I know you've already done your research on the breed and were close to getting one. Just go out and do it!! You won't regret it!

My pup's almost 4 months now and he's very calm and easy to train. He behaves perfectly with the kids too. My dog will be a family pet first, and a hunting partner second. He will get me out hunting a lot more though. You're in Langley, we should meet up with Grady and he can help you make your decision.

I was close to deciding on getting a Weimaraner or GSP, but I wasn't a fan of their high energy levels, plus a lot of them are off the wall for the first couple years. Thankfully Dutchie opened my eyes to the DK here on HBC. If you want an ultimate hunting dog and family pet, go with a DK.

Other dogs that top my list for family/ hunting dogs are DD's, Labs, Golden retrievers.

This is not necessarily a thread for me to find a pup but just a general open discussion its interesting getting peoples opinions. I know Dutchies dog goose well.

mijinkal
08-09-2010, 11:14 AM
oops, on my first read of the thread, I took it as you were looking for advice to find a breed.

Anyways, as I said, my top picks are DK's, DD's, Labs and Golden retrievers.
I'm shure there are a lot more great breeds out there that I have overlooked.
My research was limited to shorthaired medium sized dogs, but I found out a lot about some other great breeds like the DD's.

Devilbear
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I have had some fine dogs, various purebreds and handled many others. For waterfowl, I would pick a good Chesapeake over anything, for upland a good GSP or GWP alhough I have seen some good Labs and for working in the bush again, fire lookouts and such in Grizzly country, I would get a Karelian from Dawn Deeley on the island.

But, my alltime, forever dogs are magnificent, well bred Rottweilers and they do everything I want plus nobody seems to WANT to even TRY to come into my yard and/or break into our humble old house, as was often done before I got my first one at this house in early 2000.

For some reason, when mighty Cisco roars at someone in the alley at night, they just seem to leave, real damm fast! Works for me.

BlacktailStalker
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
For some reason, when mighty Cisco roars at someone in the alley at night, they just seem to leave, real damm fast! Works for me.

Put a damn bark collar on that dog would ya :lol:

srupp
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
lol was just outside talking with ex neighbor who moved into a questionable area...however they have a 200 pound plus rottweiler..absolutley HUGE may be even more...yes way overweight but humungous and the deepest growl..make your blood run cold..

She says for some reason they havnt had any problems???:mrgreen:..

Good old Mothie....snarl...............................

steven

cavebear
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
for loyal and will go hunting with out hunting great danes. Our girl is the most loving dog ive ever met and ive had lots of dogs as a kid and as an adult. :-D

For house and hunt I have to say bluetick. They hunt hard in the bush like attention very gentle with kids. If they get exercised they are very mellow around the house. :-D

I have had several labs but all seemed very high strung :icon_frow

4pointhunter
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
whats a dd and dk ?

Devilbear
08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
DeutchDrathaar and DeutchKurzhaar.

Lots'oLabs
08-11-2010, 09:14 PM

Hmmm... I wonder if anyone knows what my favorite dog is??

1/2 slam
08-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Most are likely to answer with the dog they own. For me it's English Pointers. My family has had them for more than 45 years. I currently have 2, Dixie and Snoopy. They are fantastic hunters and great family pets.

That being said there are some fantastic breeds out there. I also like GSP's, Labs and Setters.

Nait Hadya
08-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Airedale:bear,cat,duck,geese,pheasant,rabbit, vermin ,now that's a nice mix.

Paulyman
08-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Here is my vote. He is a Portuguese Water Dog.

Amazing at retrieving grouse and follows blood trails like a bloodhound would.Bugger is good at it cause he knows he'll get his share of the kill.

I can't leave him alone with Grouse in the back of the truck while hunting, he'll eat every last one of them including the feathers, heads, feet.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0064.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=15794&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=4069)

Marc
08-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I can't leave him alone with Grouse in the back of the truck while hunting, he'll eat every last one of them.

That is so funny, my chessie will play with them and Cary them around but he's yet to mangle on or eat it. To him they are fetch toys.

mtnmanmike
08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
bluetick hound, extra training req'd but well worth it in the end for a good one

coach
08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm quite partial to labs, but on the weekend I met a rhodesian ridgeback, named Moose. Any dog that has been bread to hunt lions seems like a pretty tough breed to me.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds, 65 bear treed, 18 cougar treed , four lynx and a handfull of Fisher, all before the age of 2, And to top it off great with all the kids at my wifes kids camp.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/019email.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm194/skinnercreek/email007-3.jpg

shoot2kill
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I never thought i'd own one but after tons of research and finding a good breeder our family dog is... wait for it...... a..... pit bull. Got him as a pup and we spend lots of time with him. He is not a hunting dog however he has an uncanny sense for "stuff that ain't right". Absoluty the best with kids. Also he is a house dog and dosn't like the cold.
And one look at him or to hear his growl and you won't be breaking in to the house! 60 lbs of muscle but all heart!
Pits are not for every one so don't get one unless you know what your getting into.

Angel
08-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Ok so to get this thread moving again, what would you say is the easiest dog to train? Still keeping in mind family and hunting companion.

08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Labrador.......
for basic comands like sit/stay etc. takes no time at all, just get some kibble and a beer and by the time your done your beer your pup is sitting waiting for kibble!

huntinnewbie
08-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Our lab opens the fridge and gets the beer for us!

Kasomor
08-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok so to get this thread moving again, what would you say is the easiest dog to train? Still keeping in mind family and hunting companion.

Sorry lab people.....

assuming that you want a water fowl hunter.....those fluffy bandanna wearing golden retrievers beat out labs in the brains department. Not everyone can stand the hair though so a field bred golden is the ticket. :mrgreen:

Lots'oLabs
08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry lab people.....

assuming that you want a water fowl hunter.....those fluffy bandanna wearing golden retrievers beat out labs in the brains department. Not everyone can stand the hair though so a field bred golden is the ticket. :mrgreen:

You are so right about all that golden hair and those bandanas... who needs all that anyway???

Once you go black, you'll never go back.

Caveman
08-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Not meant to be a hunting dog, but has the instinct to track, at least my last one did. I'll put a vote for an Alaskan Malamute. Big enough to intimidate, no barking, everyone's friend, won't back down from an aggressor of about the same size, great with kids, little dogs are not an issue with them. They love to pull and run, but don't mind being in a kennel

Sasquatch
08-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I've never owned a lab, but the ones I've known are very cooperative and seemed to have trained without too much difficulty.
Goldens too, but it's harder too find one from good hunting stock - the show people have seen to that.

Griffs are very biddable and natural hunters. But even if they took a little more effort to train, it would be worth it to me. You don't have to deal with the shedding issue when you have a wirehair. I really don't miss having dog hair as a condiment with my food.

horshur
08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
border colllie of proven working lines that shows it as well are damned easy to train....

Danielcan
08-23-2010, 11:45 PM
The smartest dog I have ever met is a German Shepard.

slicky72
08-24-2010, 08:42 PM
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww201/slicky72/P7170383.jpg

A tad biased here but I've sad it before Heeler, good size, easy to train,tough as nails and endless energy. The only draw back is they are too much dog for some folks.

Vital Shock
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
yellow lab!

dru88
08-29-2010, 12:44 PM
I've got a english pointer crossed with a springer spaniel and 3 kids best family i've had.

log_roller
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM

How about a dog that dosent shit:mrgreen:

Evolution
08-30-2010, 06:45 AM
How about a dog that dosent shit:mrgreen:

My lab is trained to shit in the bush. She saw me step in her shit one day and seen I was pissed off. Ive never seen a shit since. Even when we are out on a walk she'll piss off the trail. Id be more happy with a lab that didnt barf rotten fish guts all over the front seat of my truck.