PDA

View Full Version : Increasing let-off

Rob
08-07-2010, 11:08 PM
My Bowamdness is at 65% right now and I want to increase it to 80%, does this have any affect on my valley length?

hardnocks
08-08-2010, 06:09 AM
I am sure it do`s not have any effect on the valley . Although i can`t say for sure .

Bowzone_Mikey
08-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Not terribly certain on the Bowmadness ... but most other Bows when you increase the letoff % you will increase the draw lenth slightly and therefore increase the vally width slightly ....

Bow Walker
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
You may want to reconsider upping the let-off on your Bow Madness. Usually the higher let-off helps a great deal in holding the bow steadier while aiming. Especially on "speed bows".

Rob
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Not sure I follow you. If I increased it to 80% would this not help keep the bow steadier? rob

hardnocks
08-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Ya i don`t really follow that either. If you are shooting back tensoin it helps the hold 65%. But in a hunting situation 80% is best.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
higher the better in a hunting bow ... cause you can hold at draw longer .. but the wall is spongier at 80 as opposed to 60 so its not as rock steady at 80 but plenty good enuf for hunting

hardnocks
08-09-2010, 03:12 PM
i shoot at 80% sure nothing spungy about the back wall on my bow.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
when you increase the letoff ..on most bows .. you also increase the draw lenth a bit ... so at a 60 % your wall will be with your knuckles buried behind your jaw bone ... at 80 you can have that same anchor ..but you will be able to pull just a C-Hair more to get to that wall ..thus spongier

think about it ... how do you adjust the letoff ... most bows that I know you move the drawstop right....what happens when you move the draw stop? you can combat this by adding a few twists to your string but that will throw out your brace ... if its a dual cam bow it will throw out your timing blah blah blah so adjust cables blah blah blah .. the average avid "Hunter" just lives with excess 1/8 -1/4" excess draw cause they dont wanna tinker too much or are not knowledgable enough do it .. or dont notice the change in draw lenth ...or fiddle with their release ...

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
i shoot at 80% sure nothing spungy about the back wall on my bow.

Change you bow to 60 ...keep everything else the same .. and tell me what you notice differant other than holding weight ..
I would bet ... because You shoot enuf to realize when your form is slightly off ...
you will feel short on the draw ...you may not realize it ..but something just wont feel right at full draw

Bow Walker
08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Take a bow with 60 lb draw weight and a 65% let-off. You'll be holding a weight of 21 lbs.

The same bow with an 80% let-off has a holding weight of only 12 lbs.

The "thinking" is that it is much steadier to hold and aim the 21 lbs "on target" than it is to hold/aim the 12 lbs. This thinking is mostly for target archers, though.

Personally, I hunt with an 80% let-off and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've held full draw for what seemed like minutes - but what was in actuality probably only 30 to 40 seconds while waiting for the deer to present a better shot. I was glad to be holding only 12 lbs, I can tell you.