PDA

View Full Version : any one hunt kaslo area

bowhuntersparks
08-07-2010, 11:15 AM
i am trying out a place north of kaslo and wondering if any one has any info ? i am only going for bow season ith my gf and hoping to get her first big game tag filled. what is the moose and elk hunting like there?

Brambles
08-07-2010, 11:31 AM
north of kaslo is a pretty vague area. Lots of country north of kaslo, moose are just moving into that area so hunting will be tough as populations are low. Elk hunting will be thick and steep, like most of the WK's

bowhuntersparks
08-07-2010, 11:49 AM
well i was gonna try meadowcreek lake area it seemed like a good spot for moose and i herd lots of elk in that region and always nice having wt and muleys as an option.plus turkey possiblitly made me think could be good . have you hunted there before

Brambles
08-07-2010, 12:33 PM
well i was gonna try meadowcreek lake area it seemed like a good spot for moose and i herd lots of elk in that region and always nice having wt and muleys as an option.plus turkey possiblitly made me think could be good . have you hunted there before

I know guys that had LEH moose tags for that area and were skunked. There are there but in small numbers, even smaller population of spikefork, which is the only class moose open.

You have a better chance with the elk, there are elk there, I'd wouldn't use the term "lots" but if your a smart hunter you will probably see some, now getting a shot at one with a bow is a different story. You'll need a caller to help bring a bull in close. Hopefully your girlfriend is an elk calling savant.

I have hunted the area a little over the years, I have family that lives in that neck of the woods, but I have different stomping grounds that I see far less people hunting.

Good luck, have fun, its probably just as good a place as any to go for a hunt, just don't go there thinking its a wildlife Mecca. After all, its the West Kootenays, even if the game are there, doesn't mean you can see them.

Moose Guide
08-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I live in Meadow Creek and hunt here almost exclusively, and as Brambles said the moose hunting is not good as I've been drawn for a shared hunt twice and we have only taken 1 bull and havn't seen any others!
I hunt moose at Revelstoke or in reg. 5 or 7.
We have a small population of elk with some nice bulls but the hunting is hard(steep and thick) and most of the private land is closed even to locals. We have a good pop. of whitetails and very very few mulies!
If I didn't live here I sure would'nt travell here to hunt anything other than whitetail but come on over, you might be the lucky one that gets braggin rights on a monster elk! Where is Meadow Creek Lake?

bowhuntersparks
08-07-2010, 01:44 PM
sorry i ment milford creek.

Moose Guide
08-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Milford has a nice little lake with some tastey fish but there hasn't been a clearcut up there in 20 years or so, "very brushy", if you find a critter you can't see it! Schroeder would be better as would Blue Ridge toward New denver!