PDA

View Full Version : Winter Harbor Missing Boat

IronNoggin
08-06-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Friend+identifies+Portland+fisherman+missing+from+ boat+Vancouver+Island/3363567/story.html

Found last night. No Survivors.
Guide was a buddy. Well Experienced.

Ghawd Dammit. :icon_frow
Nog

08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry,
The sea is an unpredictable thing. And doesnt discriminate against thoes who ride her.

I feel for your loss Ironnoggin, and thoes of the guests.

Mr. Dean
08-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Shitty deal.

VanIslandGuy
08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
That sucks big time! I've been trying to find out all morning and there still is nothing out there about this. I imagine it will probably be on the news tonight. Sorry for the loss!

08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Sorry to all the families and friends of these poor souls.

Condolences to all.

We have some of the biggest, baddest water an angler can face on our coast, one can never let his guard down.

CT

Salty
08-06-2010, 01:28 PM
**** me I was hoping this would turn out better. :( Condolences Nog. So they found the boat only?

mark
08-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Very sad way to go!
As much as I love fishing the salt chuck, I do hate the ocean!

RJ
08-06-2010, 02:26 PM
A friggin tragedy.

trigger
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
it is a very sad thing that happened.
I guide out of boats almost identical to this one, and when you think about it, it could happen so easily. There has been a few times where i realized that we were in trouble and it took hours to slowly navigate back into shore.
I think an automated emergency beacon or something should be on all boats. once the boat capsizes and you are off shore, if there are no boats around you are F@$ked.

my condolences go out to all the friends and families

mrpeeperz
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
they havent been found yet from what that article reads and all the news reports. they are still searching as of an hr ago so there is still a little bit of hope that maybe they made it to land somehow

VanIslandGuy
08-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Ironnoggin says they were found last night, but internet and new say that there still searching. Ironnoggin, how do you know they have or haven't been found?

BlacktailStalker
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Thats odd, they JUST had it on the news as an ongoing search with no luck yet.
Sorry about your friend Nog.
Odd he didnt have time to get on the radio.

pnbrock
08-06-2010, 06:00 PM
i do love the salt chuck ,however she is a narly beast with no remorse.hope the best for the fishermen on that boat.

IronNoggin
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Ironnoggin says they were found last night, but internet and new say that there still searching. Ironnoggin, how do you know they have or haven't been found?

They are currently hunting down the Families involved. You will hear the news soon enough...

Nog

porcupine
08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Very sad ending.

srupp
08-07-2010, 08:48 AM
considering the enviroment..and the rugged coast and the amount of sportfishing and the PROFESSIONALISM of the guides and the equipment gps , portable radios, spot, etc and the boats used..the record is amazing...and so much more the bitter when it does happen..simmilar to the sheep hunter from Quesnel who was lost in Spatsizzi and so far not found...

tradgic..

Steven

huntcoop
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Tragic it is.

MichelD
08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
This is today's news:

U.S. Coast Guard joins search for missing fishermen off Vancouver Island

By Katie DeRosa, Postmedia News August 7, 2010 10:02 AM

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Coast+Guard+joins+search+missing+fishermen+Vancouv er+Island/3372712/story.html#ixzz0vwZEb5Dg

VICTORIA — Saturday is expected to be a crucial day for the rescue team looking for four fishermen missing off the west coast of Vancouver Island.
The fog that has been frustrating search and rescue crews all week is expected to lift, making it easier to spot the grey, six-metre aluminum boat, which hasn't been seen since it left Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charters and Lodge in Winter Harbour Monday morning.
The U.S. Coast Guard will join the dozens of rescuers Saturday, as the search expands along the waters off Washington State.
The four missing men are fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, 36, and three sports fishermen in their 50s — Peter Idlewine of Brush Prairie, Wash., Gary Evans of Vancouver, Wash., and his brother Tony Evans of Portland, Ore.
According to the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre there were patches of clear sky breaking through the dense fog Friday, which finally allowed for a detailed search of the shoreline from the northern tip of the Island, along Brooks Peninsula and south to Bamfield.
"It's going to be increased (Saturday)," said Jeff Olsson, a coast guard marine co-ordinator at the rescue centre.
That is enough to reassure Trisha Sturgess that her brother will be found alive. "We're staying very positive," she said of her family, most of whom live in South Delta where Sturgess grew up.
"We believe if the three fishermen could be with anyone who could get them through this, it's Kevin. If there is anything he could do to bring them home, he'd be doing it."
Trisha Sturgess said that while her brother has fished his whole life, he has worked as a fishing guide for the past 10 years out of Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii. The 36-year-old bachelor lives in Port Alberni during the winters.
She said Sturgess knows the West Coast waters as well as he knows his own house.
Search-and-rescue crews have yet to find any debris from the boat and have not spotted any emergency flares.
The men do not have full survival suits, only life jackets, and the boat is not equipped with an emergency radio beacon that would signal its position.
Trisha Sturgess said her family is comforted by all the resources going into the search. That was echoed by Evans's family, who released a statement Friday:
"We remain extremely optimistic about the situation. With the lack of evidence otherwise, we are keeping the faith that they are on land somewhere around northern Vancouver Island."
Victoria Times Colonist
kderosa@tc.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Coast+Guard+joins+search+missing+fishermen+Vancouv er+Island/3372712/story.html#ixzz0vwZAWqKU

BigBanger
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
This is today's news:

U.S. Coast Guard joins search for missing fishermen off Vancouver Island

By Katie DeRosa, Postmedia News August 7, 2010 10:02 AM

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Coast+Guard+joins+search+missing+fishermen+Vancouv er+Island/3372712/story.html#ixzz0vwZEb5Dg

VICTORIA — Saturday is expected to be a crucial day for the rescue team looking for four fishermen missing off the west coast of Vancouver Island.
The fog that has been frustrating search and rescue crews all week is expected to lift, making it easier to spot the grey, six-metre aluminum boat, which hasn't been seen since it left Qualicum Rivers Fishing Charters and Lodge in Winter Harbour Monday morning.
The U.S. Coast Guard will join the dozens of rescuers Saturday, as the search expands along the waters off Washington State.
The four missing men are fishing guide Kevin Sturgess, 36, and three sports fishermen in their 50s — Peter Idlewine of Brush Prairie, Wash., Gary Evans of Vancouver, Wash., and his brother Tony Evans of Portland, Ore.
According to the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre there were patches of clear sky breaking through the dense fog Friday, which finally allowed for a detailed search of the shoreline from the northern tip of the Island, along Brooks Peninsula and south to Bamfield.
"It's going to be increased (Saturday)," said Jeff Olsson, a coast guard marine co-ordinator at the rescue centre.
That is enough to reassure Trisha Sturgess that her brother will be found alive. "We're staying very positive," she said of her family, most of whom live in South Delta where Sturgess grew up.
"We believe if the three fishermen could be with anyone who could get them through this, it's Kevin. If there is anything he could do to bring them home, he'd be doing it."
Trisha Sturgess said that while her brother has fished his whole life, he has worked as a fishing guide for the past 10 years out of Vancouver Island and Haida Gwaii. The 36-year-old bachelor lives in Port Alberni during the winters.
She said Sturgess knows the West Coast waters as well as he knows his own house.
Search-and-rescue crews have yet to find any debris from the boat and have not spotted any emergency flares.
The men do not have full survival suits, only life jackets, and the boat is not equipped with an emergency radio beacon that would signal its position.
Trisha Sturgess said her family is comforted by all the resources going into the search. That was echoed by Evans's family, who released a statement Friday:
"We remain extremely optimistic about the situation. With the lack of evidence otherwise, we are keeping the faith that they are on land somewhere around northern Vancouver Island."
Victoria Times Colonist
kderosa@tc.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Coast+Guard+joins+search+missing+fishermen+Vancouv er+Island/3372712/story.html#ixzz0vwZAWqKU

So, these guys got me thinking there still is some hope.

BlacktailStalker
08-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Clearly, they wouldnt be spending tax dollars/advertise false continuing search efforts, added recruits etc if they were already found deceased.
Possible they found whom Nog speaks about but are searching for the other three.
Nog ?

Monashee
08-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Are there boomers in the area ?

They scare the hell out of me after seeing a 21 foot boat lose power west of Wickaninish Island . It was slowly drifting towards this huge reef that was getting exposed at the base of each 30 foot swell , then boom ! the next swell would smash on it , a little 21 boot would get crushed to hell and this was out at least a kilometer from the nearest land. The boat I saw in trouble got a tow out of trouble but it appeared they were minutes from destruction .

d6dan
08-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Boat found, but no fishermen.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/07/bc-missing-charter-boat-found.html

ratherbefishin
08-08-2010, 05:51 AM
I know one thing-I'm a flat water fisherman and our''go-no go''is 20k of wind,and even that in combination with tide can make it uncomfortable.I don't even want to think about wind 3 times that strong especially on the west coast.

As usual, there will be much second guessing and shoulda/coulda but going the buddy system ,survival suits and the ability to make radio contact is just common sense.Bad stuff happens but having another boat a couple of hundred yards away likely would have made this a story to tell the folks back home

Another factor is as always-the risk rescue people put themselves to .I know these charters are expensive and people don't want to sit out the weather on the dock, but no fish is worth this.

Spy
08-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I still hope & feel that these guys are still alive.
It will be real sad if they don't find them alive.

ratherbefishin
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I guess theres a chance they made it ashore-and at least its not winter so if they could get shelter they might make it

FishBC.org
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Did they say how far from the shoreline the boat was when they found it?

FishBC.org
08-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Condolences on your friend NOG

Cherdawg
08-08-2010, 11:30 AM
The guide is a very special friend of mine. I have before, and am still meant to fish these exact waters with him in a few weeks. I am in contact with his family at all times, as are they with the search teams. There has been no sign or news of the fishermen. Today the search goes on. We all pray they have found land, please help us.

RJ
08-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I read in the Province the boat was found about 6 miles from shore. Thats a heck of a swim, but you really never know. Interesting that the boat was anchored though. I have heard of people anchoring to jig for halibut, but I would never think of doing it outside, one big swell is all it would take.

Hopefully they find something. I lost a great friend on the water and he was never found. It still bothers me.

srupp
08-08-2010, 11:58 AM
2 options 6 miles out jigging for hali, or the boat flipped and the anchor dumped..either way not looking good..thoughts Prayers and condolences with familly and friends

Susan and Steven

ratherbefishin
08-08-2010, 12:21 PM
if they were fishing for halibut ,they would have had a scotchman out-small boats don't just anchor.If they were 6 miles out-chances are not good they made it to shore.The question in my mind is,especially when fishing in open waters-why weren't they buddy fishing?
The report says it was blowing 80 k ....and while the wind can come up suddenly-there must have been forcasts-no way I'd have been out there in that
But no doubt there will be an inquest and maybe some policy for open water sport fishing come out of it.What is likely is these guys paid big bucks to go fishing and took a chance even though it didn't look good.And to the people who think going in a sink proof boat is ''safe''-it is-as long as you're still in the boat

RJ
08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Scotchmen is how your are supposed to anchor but who knows, Id rather back troll than take the chance. When people are paying big bucks for fish sometimes chances are taken. I've seen people go out in weather I would never fish in, and they've come back safe. They have a higher comfort level than me, perhaps too high of a comfort level sometimes.

ratherbefishin
08-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm fortionate to fish with a guide that I've fished with for years,I book a block of time at the beginning of the season so if it gets snotty,we come in-or go another day.The trouble with booking a 3 day trip at a lodge is you've paid your money and you want to go fishing.No fun getting bounced all over the place or your kidneys taking a pounding,we're both too old for that-there's always another day.
I don;t think I like the idea of backtrolling-your stern to the waves,I'd rather take them bow on.I see that guide boat has an open bow too-I would prefer a closed bow so if you take a green one it won;t swamp the boat

BlacktailStalker
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Full floater suits should be mandatory for all occupants as well as a flare gun in the pocket. I hope something like this comes into effect.
There needs to be some sort of floating dye packs they can store in the jackets as well, like what is emitted when a military parachute hits the water (or however it works, I don't really know)
Buoyant persons could break this 'pack' as well as use the flare gun greatly increasing the chance of being rescued in time.
Of course you need to be wearing that jacket or be able to get it in time but I'm sure there would be less recreational victims off shore.

All an unsinkable boat means is the boat can likely be salvaged, not the lives on in it.
Plainly a stupid reason to think you're safe.

fuzzybiscuit
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Since no one returned it's easy to second guess the guide and fishermen on what they did that day.

Fact is that every lodge in the area had their boats out that day.

I do not know the guide personally, but I do know the lodge that he is from. It's a top notch operation with good boats and equipment. The guides are well thought of and respected.

Anyone who fishes the Northwest Coast of Vancouver Island on a regular basis will at times be fishing in crappy weather. That's the nature of the beast. Its wild country and at times there are few other boats around. To some, myself included, that is one of its draws.

We all push the boundaries of what is safe at times, whether it is being out fishing in rough water, or driving a vehicle for too many hours in a row when we are tired. 99.9% of the time nothing goes wrong and all that happens is we have a good story to tell at a later date. The odd time, something like this happens, and people die.

I would much rather take my chances and do the things that I enjoy than sit at home worrying about what could happen or if I'm going to be in that .1%. I'm a firm believer that if your time is up, it's up.

I would much rather go as these people did than in a hospital bed of old age, having never done anything, having never taken a chance.

My condolences to their family and friends.

08-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Lets not loose sight of this as a tragedy. It is terrible what has happened to the Guide Kevin Sturgess and his guests. All friends and family of the lost, not yet found persons involved.
For the several on this site and others that are demanding that survival suits be worn at all time while on the water like these fishers were in, I challenge you to fish or work (in the suits) all day. No doubt they will save lives, or extend your chances at the least. But to make mandatory the use of these suits is not only impractical, it's likely impossible. I have fished our coast, done my share of guiding and can't imagine waring it 24/7. I do wear my life jacket and have demanded my guests friends or family to wear them when things get snotty, that said, we all take chances on the big water, any time we leave the docks alone. I do think guidelines can change, emergency beacons for charters off shore, traveling in paired boats (always with another). There are many things we can do better.
Do not loose sight of the fact that traveling, fishing and just being on the big water off shore alone is no different then Goat hunting on dangerous slopes, hunting solo, or winter like conditions. These fellas chose to go fishing and chose his profession. Everything in the outdoors comes with risk, things can happen fast, and certainly we don't go out expecting not to come back, that said, we can all do better to be safer.
Be careful every one, and to the family and friends of the missing my deepest condolences.

CT

ratherbefishin
08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Agreed, survival suits may not be worn, but I can guarantee you'd be glad one was in the boat to put on if the wind did up.But you're right-accidents DO happen and even if you sat home and took zero risk,you'd probably die of clogged arteries

sniper ren
08-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Since no one returned it's easy to second guess the guide and fishermen on what they did that day.

Fact is that every lodge in the area had their boats out that day.

I do not know the guide personally, but I do know the lodge that he is from. It's a top notch operation with good boats and equipment. The guides are well thought of and respected.

Anyone who fishes the Northwest Coast of Vancouver Island on a regular basis will at times be fishing in crappy weather. That's the nature of the beast. Its wild country and at times there are few other boats around. To some, myself included, that is one of its draws.

We all push the boundaries of what is safe at times, whether it is being out fishing in rough water, or driving a vehicle for too many hours in a row when we are tired. 99.9% of the time nothing goes wrong and all that happens is we have a good story to tell at a later date. The odd time, something like this happens, and people die.

I would much rather take my chances and do the things that I enjoy than sit at home worrying about what could happen or if I'm going to be in that .1%. I'm a firm believer that if your time is up, it's up.

I would much rather go as these people did than in a hospital bed of old age, having never done anything, having never taken a chance.

My condolences to their family and friends.

I agree! Well said! Thoughts are with the familys and all involved!

fuzzybiscuit
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Looks like the search for the missing fishermen has been called off.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/100074564.html

22savage
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
My deepest condolences to families of all involved . I think that there are two things that might help prevent a similar incident from happening to other charter boats 1 ) Personal inflatable life jacket to be worn at all times 2) Emergency locater beacon that sends a signal to the coast gaurd in the event of captszing .Things happen fast on the water and you don,t always have time to get to the vhf or life jackets.

Mr. Dean
08-10-2010, 12:41 AM
What has happened is sad. Very sad.

But WTS, I still prefer too live my life, via my choice. I don't think there's a soul that walks the planet that doesn't believe, that, PFD's do save lives. Will a law make it more known or will it serve as another tax collection?

I'm a believer in pro choice and education. Not mandates.

Sorry for your loss, Nog.
Tight lines and smiles (all around).

308Lover
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Most every serious fisherman has his/her own PDF, including me. Many outdoor shows advertise comfortable inflatable vests that are not cumbersome.Finding stored PFD's is not unusual--to follow the law I've seen the old kapok vests stored in the forward end of boats for years.I hope at least one person actually wore one. At least they might be found.
Striking a log in rough water off BC's coast is common--and you are in the water with a damaged boat in a blink. My point is--perhaps some WERE wearing their own PFD's.

IronNoggin
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
My most sincere apologies. My Friend and myself were fed erroneous information when I made the post above. I do not yet know what the motive for that was, but it certainly was not funny in any way. My error was in being a little too quick to believe what I was told, and then I furthered that by posting before I could confirm. For this I humbly apologize, especially to the Families and friends.

I have been at sea every day since and have not heard any further news than they did find the boat, rolled over and well offshore. I would appreciate it if anyone here that has any further news please fill me in. I am still holding faint hope...

Embarrassed as hell,
Matt

Salty
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Its obvious to me and I'm sure everyone else that you didn't intentionally post missinformation Nog. Don't knock yourself out. It appears from fuzzy's post previous page that the search has been called off.

Looks like the search for the missing fishermen has been called off.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/100074564.html

While you were at sea they reported first finding the boat and that they were attempting to right it. They did that towed in in to the harbour and we learned they found all life jackets stowed in the lockers. Unless they had their own floatation gear this obviously was not a good sign. They concentrated the search around where the boat was found - Brooks bay for several days. It doesn't look good.

pescado
08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
It's a sad story. Kevin was a great fisherman and equally competent Captain. There's lots to the story that does'nt seem to fit. I'll miss tacking the light with you on those quiet tides bro.
Tight lines always - DT