PDA

View Full Version : Winter spring's and Deer.

Iron-Head
04-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Well I was off of Gambier Island today fishing for winter's when I noticed a strange looking pale whitish looking thing on the rocks and then I notice It start to walk toward me.......at this point I am still thinking what the hell is that because It hasnt clued in to me that there would be a deer on the little rock island thing that is mabey 2 square acres big.finally I notice that its a deer but I am thinking what the hell a nearly all white deer?? with head gear still on?? I must be seeing things........But sure enough it was an almost albino cream colored 2 by 3 buck.... with a single doe behind him.
Sorry my fishing trip was unplanned and I didnt have my camera:frown:.
P.s I got one fish on and lost it.
Symon

Fred
04-18-2006, 11:39 PM
You may have lost that fish but the trip was still worth it! Fred

BANG!
04-19-2006, 10:09 AM
Hi Symon - I live on Bowen and have kayaked around Howe Sound a lot over the past ten years - I have seen some really nice beasts on Gambier, Anvil and Bowen is overrun with the buggers! I had a close encounter with a nice buck just a couple of days ago - he trotted out in front of me (with 2" stumps showing) with his girlfriend just ahead of him.

There's also the occasional cougar and black bear on Bowen - so it's safe to assume they can be found on Gambier too.

Were you chasing salmon - how deep were you fishing?

MB_Boy
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
BANG.....I second that with all the deer around. I spend a lot of time on Anvil and there are plenty of deer on that small island and I have seen some nice bucks in the fall.

Symon.....which side of Gambier were you fishing on? We have had a pretty slow season for the Winters in and around Vancouver/Hole in the Wall/ South end of Bowen.......mind you we have not hit it all that hard....the prawns and crabs seem to be more of a 'sure thing' :wink:

Iron-Head
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I was fishing right in front of twin islands, in 250+ feet of water and I was hitting them at 90ft on anchovy's. Got 75 prawns out of 2 traps today:grin: and 3 legal crab sitting on top of my traps..... Man its geed to get back on the water!
There is a large 5by4 buck on a friends private property on Keats island,I seem him every year in his aple trees, Too bad he doesnt like hunting.¿
Symon

massntrash
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
if you want a good winter fishery try the frieghters its been awsome weve been puting down the fly rods on the riggers with mono awsome but be prepared to compete with the seals they are ****ing thieves ps you have to use dummy flashers on the rigger cables when using the fly rod man what a good scrap