PDA

View Full Version : Northern Glassing Conditions

blackbart
08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Any reports regarding glassing conditions from the members lucky enough to have already been north this year. Somewhat surprised that there has been no rams posted thus far, hopefully it is because they are still enjoying the trip and not due to smoke filled air.

Given the fire that (has / had??) the Dease highway closed I am a bit concerned about how well the sheep hunting is going.

todbartell
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
6km visibility here! I seen a pic and talked with a successful stone's hunter today, 39" ram!

BlacktailStalker
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Did that ram have any friends with gps coordinates ? :lol:
We're socked in pretty good here on the Island and there are no fires that I am aware of.
We're getting all that smoke from Lillooet and our visibiliy is hazey at best and anything out past about 2kms would be unidentifiable if visible at all. We were scouting for my buddys roosevelt draw and glassing wasnt even an option :neutral:

dutchie
08-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I was in Naniamo for work today and man was it bad. visibility must have been less then 1km.

brutal

dutchie

elkdom
08-05-2010, 11:32 PM
visibility today at ground level about 2 klms,

bino's and spotting scope virtually useless:-|

barry1974w
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm at a coal mine an hour from Chetwynd at 1175m elevation. We can't see across the pit, let alone across the valley. Not sure how it is way up north though.

BlacktailStalker
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
This may help

http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/100.html

srupp
08-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Willies Puddle..socked right in 1/2 Km...

couple good Dall sheep reported being harvested and a nice pair of Stone sheep on the FIRST day of season..walk in off highway..hopefully we will get some photos......in time.....
Steven

KB90
08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Thread Resurrection,

Will be going on the 28th up by Muncho lake, anyone who just came back have a report on visibility in regards to smoke? Looking on the camera link posted above it's raining in fort nelson.

Thanks Kyle.

luckynuts
08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I have seen 5 stones killed this year so far have heard of another 4 taken so starting to shape up like last year. Also heard of a few good grizz altercations up muncho lake way. a couple of guys are missing some tents that's for sure:-D

I'm sure the stories will start showing up closer to the end of the month just before the guys start heading out for elk:wink:

W.

Deadshot
08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Was up, off the Kechika for the opener & conditions changed daily.
Wind was coming in from all directions.
Heavy rain storms made for some hazy days afterwards.
Same as last year. Something we'll have to get used to.
Maybe a few more rams will get passed over & given a chance to mature.

BCrams
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Smoke some days made for tough glassing due to the haze / glare and you could only take advantage of glassing in one direction depending on the suns position in the sky.