PDA

View Full Version : Coldfish walk to Spatsizi Plateau?

cas-has-cars
08-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Does anyone know how tough the hike is from coldfish lake to the Plateau at the top where the Caribou can be found.
I've got a draw for Oct and I have the float plane all lined up. I just need to know how tough it will be to bring the monster Caribou back to base camp at Coldfish Lake.
Anyone with information on the area would be a great help.
Thanks
Brian
kelowna

Deaddog
08-06-2010, 05:59 AM
good trail all the way up from coldfish to the plateau, easy hike if you are in OK shape, once on the plateau it is easy going....trail leaves right from the cabins and if memory serves me right there are even signs.... good luck!!

Steelie73
08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
It will take about 2 hours to get to the plateau from the camp.

plumbcrazy
08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Easy hike, we have sot them on day walks from the lake, seen herds swimming across the lake, and hiked for days up the back without seeing any big bulls. Take your pick, they are there.

40incher
08-06-2010, 03:13 PM
We took 2 bulls off of Caribou Mountain (mid September) a few years ago. As I recall it was close to 14 miles from the lake and took two trips to get all the meat etc... back to camp.

October should find bulls closer to the head of Blackfox Creek so you may be able to day hunt from camp. Nice sleeping cabins and a large cook house at Coldfish. Contact BC Parks in Smithers re: fees for cabins.

The meat will be very strong (likely an understatement) by then, unless you take a yearling bull. Spatsizi LEH does not require 5 points on top.

WoodOx
08-06-2010, 03:21 PM
any stones back in that way?

338 winmag
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Shes a steep hike from the cabins straight up, don't make the mistake I did and get yourself a wolverine tag, seen 5 up there. Saw a couple dozen large bulls about 10 miles back, too far to pack out. Wolves running all over as well.

BromBones
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
any stones back in that way?

Supposed to be a few on that side. Never saw any though.

ve7iuq
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
A quote--"The meat will be very strong (likely an understatement) by then,--"

Anyone who has not tasted an October bull caribou, just does not know what strong wild meat tastes like, or smells like when it is cooking. Enjoy.

cas-has-cars
08-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the help. Not to sure how I feel about the meat being so storng. Does anyone know if there is fresh water to be found nere the top or is something we should be packing with us for cooking. I'm planning on sleeping 3 days and nights on the top before I return to base camp.
Dale our pilot says we may need a second flight out to get the caribou home does anyone know about how much weight a caribou boned out and the cape and antlers would way. I would likely be looking for a larger caribou.
By the way I'm on my way to Pink mountain on friday to look for another great tasting August moose. Opening day is Sunday and last year the meat was so good and tender I swore this would have to be a regular hunt. Just have to put up with the flies after the kill. We brought ours in to the cooler in Pink Mountain and had it within 3 hours after the kill.
Does anyone have a Eberlestock back? What do you think of it. I might buy one for the Caribou hunt and future goat and ship hunts.
Brian

BCRiverBoater
08-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Interested to here how your bou hunt goes. I have alwaya wanted to see that country. Good luck with the moose. Calling for low 30's the first few days of the season.

hoho
08-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the help. Not to sure how I feel about the meat being so storng. Does anyone know if there is fresh water to be found nere the top or is something we should be packing with us for cooking. I'm planning on sleeping 3 days and nights on the top before I return to base camp.
Dale our pilot says we may need a second flight out to get the caribou home does anyone know about how much weight a caribou boned out and the cape and antlers would way. I would likely be looking for a larger caribou.
By the way I'm on my way to Pink mountain on friday to look for another great tasting August moose. Opening day is Sunday and last year the meat was so good and tender I swore this would have to be a regular hunt. Just have to put up with the flies after the kill. We brought ours in to the cooler in Pink Mountain and had it within 3 hours after the kill.
Does anyone have a Eberlestock back? What do you think of it. I might buy one for the Caribou hunt and future goat and ship hunts.
Brian

We hunt Stikine/Pitman River in middle of Sept ,but some night the weather was so cold -3c. Take care, good luck,and Happy hunting.

cas-has-cars
08-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Back now from the Moose hunt around cypress creek. 6 huntersand only 1 two point bull to split, only bull seen. We did see around 25 cows and calves, also bears, dear and elk. Had a great time Quading the backcountry seismic trials and even got part way into the muskwa kichika management reserve. To much fun put not enough meat. Went and scouted the east side of hwy atick rd. Looked great and a few bulls coming out. To much hassel to switch camp over so we stayed where we were. Two years in a row we were the first moose to the butcher in kelowna.
Now to continue planning for the caribou in Spatsizi. I'm starting to thing about lots of jerky if I get 1.
Any comments on how much weight a large caribou boned out with cape and antlers might be.
Brian

Tlineman
08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Roughly 15-25 lbs for the antlers. If your looking to maximize the meat I'd guess that you could get 200lb+ off a healthy bull. But I echo the thoughts on the strong odour/taste of a rutting bull caribou.