PDA

View Full Version : 4.3x antlerless elk GOS

yzchamp
08-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Thinking of trying my luck of elk hunting.. without any experience hunting elk ,or knowledge of region 4 i think GOS antlerless would be a good way to start.. any help with figuring out where to go would be appreciated :)
Thanks

yzchamp
08-06-2010, 04:55 PM
any one? :)

Hagen
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I cant vouch for anyone else, but in my "experience" unless you live in the kootenays, the general feeling you'll get from us locals is to do your homework and good luck, not a lot of guys are willing to cough up "honey holes" to someone who isnt from here (hell they wont do that for guys that are a lot of the time!) if that sounds harsh, well thats life. I'm not a "native" to the area, i've been here a few years, but everything i've taken has been through my own time spent in the bush (nothing to brag about for that matter, but i've put meat in the freezer almost every year so far)

I can say good luck, the elk are there, and with the changes made in the regs this year its going to be a slaughter/gong show out there ( just my opinion anyway):-D

Another point you'll want to keep in mind is the heat, and we lost another butcher in town in the last year, to my knowledge, Ricks is the only show in town, and i'll bet they will be busy

Everett
08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Well it will not be a slaughter but it will be a gong show:wink:

deeks1989
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Go up Newgate.....get off the main road drive up a branch road... walk in the timber and wait along draws on edges of clearcuts.
Newgate will have lots of huters and especially the famous road hunters....stay below 1100m Good luck!

deeks1989
08-06-2010, 07:35 PM
for your own safety wear something thats Orange......

yzchamp
08-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks a lot !

sawmill
08-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Well it will not be a slaughter but it will be a gong show:wink:
Oh God Yah.Screw the hunter orange,I`m thinking military body armour:eek:

deeks1989
08-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks a lot !

No prob good luck man......I have seen tons of elk down that way.

elkhunter1
08-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Oh God Yah.Screw the hunter orange,I`m thinking military body armour:eek:

X2 Yes slaughter but it will be a gong show.
I would not go without Bullet Prouf vests and Helmets.
for opening day.
C/O,s will be Busy.
Keep Safe.
:confused:

GRH
08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
You will not see me down there as last year a was shot at from someone that was pit lamping and taking shots 600 yards away with an illegal spike elk.All I was doing was trying to get back to camp
People leave thier brains at home

Buckmeister
08-12-2010, 10:10 PM
If there are farmers in the area with alfalfa fields, go knock on their door and politely ask if you can hunt their lands. Elk are a pest to most farmers and the ones we have talked to are quite eager and willing to let a hunter cross their land so as to get rid of a few pests. Show that you can be respectful and won't harm anything or be a danger and you can get a long ways.
Hint: Elk like to feed in the fields at night, sometimes in large herds, and start to head back into cover once the sun starts coming up. If you time it right and are in the correct position, at first legal light you might just score!

bigben
08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Prepare yourself for a hard hunt especially with all the open season going on the elk are smart they catch on pretty fast good luck

BigBanger
08-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Sounds like fun!!! Good luck man!!