PDA

View Full Version : August moose hunt

bearhunter338-06
08-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm planing on meeting my buddy in Dawson Creeck for a moose hunt, and was wondering how many other fellow HBCer's get away for the August moose hunt.

CanuckShooter
08-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Every year, 22 days to go for us this year leaving the 26th. Planning on hanging around well into sept for bull elk....:mrgreen:

HighCountry
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm head out next 2 weeks

todbartell
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd like to go, but it's gotta be hard to keep meat in these temps

mark
08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I used to do it for years....but 30 degree heat, bugs, beez, and 16 hour long days is not my idea of fun!
I take my chances in september now!

sneg
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
We are going little bit further for 2 weeks. Bug net to keep mosqito off. Freezers to keep meat chill. Some beer to keep hydrated. Would never miss .

gutpile
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Aug the 17 for me up to fortnelson

sawmill
08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
If you have a boat float the Peace between Ft.ST John and Cayhurst bridge.Lot of good hunting along there,moose hang out on some of the bigger islands to beat the heat and bugs.

hunter1947
08-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I used to leave for a moose hunt up to Hudson hope on the 12 of Aug found that the moose we got at this time was as good as any game animal you can eat.

We took a deep freezer and generator and did what we had to do in order to not waist any meat ..

GoatGuy
08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
If we go it'll be the last minute program. Might even buy a tag this year.

elkdom
08-04-2010, 06:40 PM
fortunately for me,,,:mrgreen: there is usually an August "dead bull moose" just about an hour drive or so to my butcher,cooler, expert meat processor !:wink:

ianwuzhere
08-04-2010, 06:49 PM
thats a tuff time of year- i like to butcher all of my own meat and i dont have a cooler setup. any bull sure makes it easier tho..

takla1
08-04-2010, 07:14 PM
hudson hopes good for the 15 th,should get lucky mind you the last two years have been harder to fill tags.good luck

swampthing
08-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I usually hit the alaska hwy every august. I go to get my boys on a moose hunt before school starts. I try to go the last week of aug. but this year I have to go for opening week because of the one sons football schedule. There is a big change of weather in those two weeks. The first week is always warmish but the second week [ last week] of aug is a mixed bag. We had snow every day one year. Another year it was 5 below every night. Last year it hit about 10 celcius most days with lows of minus 2. I bone the meat out and build a platform over a creek to keep the meat cool. Flys are the biggest problem. I double bag and change bags if the flys blow on them. Right now as most of the province is in a fire hazard, much of the alaska hwy is wet. I enjoy it up there in august. Have fun.

Bigbruin
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
This is my first August Moose hunt any words of wisdom are more than welcome.

bear buster
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Have'nt missed it in 20 years opening day aug 15. we will be out in 7-33 the day of the 14. last year was at butcher by 800am. wouldnt miss it for the world. anybody out the kiskatinaw way, look for the lil red explorer and motorhome camp. sign by camp"moose & joose"

bear buster
08-04-2010, 10:57 PM
This is my first August Moose hunt any words of wisdom are more than welcome.
Log blocks at first light, fresh blocks 3-5 years old are best, or canolla fields in the evening, if its hot try a good water hole or walk the rivers. What area are you going to be in?

boonerbuck
08-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I've done a couple of August moose hunts. We managed to keep a bull cool enough on a horseback hunt for a week before the one day drive home. We let it air cool at night and stored the quarters in panniers in the water during the day.

There are butchers and coolers available in the FSJ, Dawson and Chetwynd areas. It won't be as complicated.

d6dan
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Here's an August moose from the land of plenty..Some of you might recognize a face..Hook trucks are the Best!!.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/100_0600.jpg

Bigbruin
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I'm leaning to Chetwynd of FSJ area.

bear buster
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
[quote=d6dan;719950]Here's an August moose from the land of plenty..Some of you might recognize a face..Hook trucks are the Best!!.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/100_0600.jpg[/quote
Mike from Chetwynd........

whitetailsheds
08-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Geez that guy in the blue plaid is butt ugly....then again, maybe I haven't drank enough....

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu65/d6dan/100_0600.jpg

d6dan
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Funny Grant, I was thinking the same thing :mrgreen:.

whitetailsheds
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Funny Grant, I was thinking the same thing :mrgreen:.

Mike, himself, told me that one time..."moose just fall over dead if they get a good look at me within a couple hundred yards....over 200, they just start laughin'"......:mrgreen::wink:

BCJunior
08-06-2010, 04:15 PM
lucky... instead we got 5 oct tags..

d6dan
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
lucky... instead we got 5 oct tags..
Huh?? No luck buddy,this moose is an open season moose..It helps to live there..:wink:.

ratherbefishin
08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
how long have you got from the time the moose drops to get in the cooler?[got to admit,I'd rather hunt after a hard frost]

Bigbruin
08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Is there a camp fire ban up in 7-b.

boonerbuck
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
how long have you got from the time the moose drops to get in the cooler?[got to admit,I'd rather hunt after a hard frost]

Which in the north country is usually late august...

How long does it take for you to get to a cooler? I'm sure you'd make it.

Ubertuber
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
If you can't keep your kill cool and fly free, you lack the ability to plan ahead.
August hunts are fun, we try to go at least every other year.

palmer
08-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Will be heading to Pink Area for Aug 14....

BCRiverBoater
08-14-2010, 02:23 AM
Better bring shorts and sunscreen. Supposed to be in the low 30's for opening day. How much deet do you have? But good luck anyways. Alot of moose still hit the ground in the heat, you just need to really take of the meat in a hurry.

lilhoss
08-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Brother "Tripalm",his son, and my Dad just left for that area.Truck,camper,1 quad,flatdeck trailer with a homemade walk-in cooler unit.It will be a first for them so we'll see.Too hot for my liking.I like the snow not the bugs!

oldtimer
08-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Seeing lots of units going through Quesnel and 1/2 of them are packing freezers. Smart boys. Mike

Ubertuber
08-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Better bring shorts and sunscreen. Supposed to be in the low 30's for opening day. How much deet do you have? But good luck anyways. Alot of moose still hit the ground in the heat, you just need to really take of the meat in a hurry.
Geez, you make it sound near impossible to bag a moose during warm weather and not have it spoil. Hunters have been bagging animals in warm weather for ages, it's not that difficult.

BCRiverBoater
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Geez, you make it sound near impossible to bag a moose during warm weather and not have it spoil. Hunters have been bagging animals in warm weather for ages, it's not that difficult.

Not that at all if you are prepared for it. They get shot in warm weather every year. It is for those who are not ready for it. Talk to the meat cutters...they see their fair share of spoiled meat. But of course that can happen anytime fo year.

bearhunter338-06
08-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Well, it is now August 16th and I should be sitting on my buddies front porch in Bonanza watching the dear, moose and yes elk drinking out of the water hole. I had a couple unexpected bills that took my funds away (it happens to the best of use). So now I have changed plans and I will be going for a combo hunt for Elk, Moose, Mule deer (3 point and Antlerless) and White tail (Buck and Antlerless). Just have to co-ordinate dates and time with my buddy and of course his boss (who will also be hunting with us lol) and then get up there.

To all those who have made it up to there August Moose hunt I wish you all good luck. Yes I do envey you.......

Str8 shooting
Burke

luckynuts
08-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Too Bad,

Though you should check your dates muley opens Nov 1st. Elk and moose are closed.:wink:

W.

bearhunter338-06
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
I also have the Alberta side to hunt, a little more for a tag but grain feed dear is worth it.

Bigbruin
08-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Well my early season Moose hunt is over due to a blown transmission or rear end I'm sitting at the mechanics right now waiting to find out WTF happened. It's gonna be a long night. I was out about 101 on the Alaska highway. Anyone else ever have that kind of break down way-out in the sticks ?

sawmill
08-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Well my early season Moose hunt is over due to a blown transmission or rear end I'm sitting at the mechanics right now waiting to find out WTF happened. It's gonna be a long night. I was out about 101 on the Alaska highway. Anyone else ever have that kind of break down way-out in the sticks ?
Had my headlights suddenly quit at 60+ MPH at midnight around 101.That was goddamn scary I tell you.

elkdom
08-17-2010, 07:35 AM
well my Moose season is also over ,due to a blown out "Moose High Pressure system";),,,,,,,,,,,,,
I spent many hours getting 2 quads and the quad trailer, a ton of camping gear, rifles, fuel, groceries,etc, etc all perfectly arranged on the 4x4 truck and the tandem axle trailer,the "Wifee and I", left home at 4 am on the morning of August 15th, prepared to spend at least 2 days camping/hunting, we drove about 50 klms to good area, we know quite well, about 7 am we stopped by a picturesque lake, that is remote but not a long drive from our home, we got out of the truck, walked to the shore of the lake ,the water was like a mirror about 2 klms long, a slight fog on parts of the lake, a couple of Loons were serenading, I immediately noticed waves from the center of the lake, in a long V shape, swimming straight towards was a "Fork Horn Bull Moose tm" I instantly pinched myself quite hard, YEP I was awake and I was looking at a fork horn moose swimming accross the lake, I said quietly to the Wifee, grab your bino's and the camera, lets walk up to the pipeline that parallels the shoreline, I grabbed my Ruger M77 in .308 Norma mag, we walked about 200 yards from the thickly treed shorline, where we could look 2 ways on the pipeline, lit a smoke and stood still and listened, about 5 minutes later out onto the pipeline stepped Bullwinkle the fork horn moose, I knelt down, placed the X hairs of the Ziess 3x9 right below his ear, he was standing broadside,gently squeezed the trigger,

BOOM! ,,,,,,in the scope,I watched him flop instantly to ground he was standing on, one hind leg stiffened and twitched a couple of times, other than that he didnt even wiggle,
we walked over to the dead bull moose, I counted my paces, 240 yards,
time7;15 am, Aug 15,

our moose was hanging on the hook at the butcher shop by 11am in Pouce,,,

I was a bit discouraged at the butcher shop, my moose was #5 in for opening morning,,,,
Im gettin slow these days, most years I had the first one in, oh well :?

ianwuzhere
08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
haha #5.. Thats wicked on the first day- sometimes things just work out great...any pix?

OutWest
08-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Congrats on the bull! Now let's see some pics!

moosinaround
08-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Sorry to hear the news Elkdom!! Sucks when a it drops so quickly in the season. Chin up though, elk season is just around the bend! Try to strech it out a day or 2 for the elk eh!!! Moosin:wink:

Blainer
08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
well my Moose season is also over ,due to a blown out "Moose High Pressure system";),,,,,,,,,,,,,
I spent many hours getting 2 quads and the quad trailer, a ton of camping gear, rifles, fuel, groceries,etc, etc all perfectly arranged on the 4x4 truck and the tandem axle trailer,the "Wifee and I", left home at 4 am on the morning of August 15th, prepared to spend at least 2 days camping/hunting, we drove about 50 klms to good area, we know quite well, about 7 am we stopped by a picturesque lake, that is remote but not a long drive from our home, we got out of the truck, walked to the shore of the lake ,the water was like a mirror about 2 klms long, a slight fog on parts of the lake, a couple of Loons were serenading, I immediately noticed waves from the center of the lake, in a long V shape, swimming straight towards was a "Fork Horn Bull Moose tm" I instantly pinched myself quite hard, YEP I was awake and I was looking at a fork horn moose swimming accross the lake, I said quietly to the Wifee, grab your bino's and the camera, lets walk up to the pipeline that parallels the shoreline, I grabbed my Ruger M77 in .308 Norma mag, we walked about 200 yards from the thickly treed shorline, where we could look 2 ways on the pipeline, lit a smoke and stood still and listened, about 5 minutes later out onto the pipeline stepped Bullwinkle the fork horn moose, I knelt down, placed the X hairs of the Ziess 3x9 right below his ear, he was standing broadside,gently squeezed the trigger,

BOOM! ,,,,,,in the scope,I watched him flop instantly to ground he was standing on, one hind leg stiffened and twitched a couple of times, other than that he didnt even wiggle,
we walked over to the dead bull moose, I counted my paces, 240 yards,
time7;15 am, Aug 15,

our moose was hanging on the hook at the butcher shop by 11am in Pouce,,,

I was a bit discouraged at the butcher shop, my moose was #5 in for opening morning,,,,
Im gettin slow these days, most years I had the first one in, oh well :?Good start to the season.I always find those early moose to be the best tasting,and a nice early immature,Great eat'in!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picturemoose_2010_blachawk_lake_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20097&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

elkdom
08-18-2010, 07:33 AM
Good start to the season.I always find those early moose to be the best tasting,and a nice early immature,Great eat'in!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picturemoose_2010_blachawk_lake_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20097&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)
lol, thats got to be photo shop huh? there are no fork horn bulls? right?:cry:

elkdom
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear the news Elkdom!! Sucks when a it drops so quickly in the season. Chin up though, elk season is just around the bend! Try to strech it out a day or 2 for the elk eh!!! Moosin:wink:

the "Wifee" said she might help me stretch "it" out, through Elk season,,,:mrgreen:

bearhunter338-06
08-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Well here it is. My hunting partner called me this morning and told me to get my azz up to Dawson. They needed my back to pack out the moose he just shot. As I was calling him any name I could think of "BANG". Then he says make that 2 moose. The 2 of them shot 2 moose 10 minutes apart.

I really really really hate them right now.

pickerjim
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
dont feel to bad bear hunter i live 15 minutes from my hunting area and havent even gotten out yet but i think i just might get out in the morning for a look around... as long as the phone doesnt ring and ruin my morning

moose2
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
lol, thats got to be photo shop huh? there are no fork horn bulls? right?:cry:

Here is another 2x2 they are quite common this time of year. You just never see them when the season changes lol
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2010_moose_trip_008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20191&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=13763)