PDA

View Full Version : Need help, how to loosen ring screws...

huntcoop
08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to remove my rings from the mounts and the slotted cross slot screws that hold the ring to the mount are so friggin tight I can't budge them.........any suggestions?

I'm worried that I'm gonna strip off the slotted screw then I'll be buggered.

Steeleco
08-03-2010, 11:46 PM
I've read where the heat from the tip of a soldering iron will break the bond. That and the tried true trick of tightening it a little first will break the bond, then loosen them.

lip_ripper00
08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
They where probably loctited in place and using a soldering gun like Steeleco suggest's will work, be sure to clean all the old locker off the threads:wink:

huntcoop
08-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Loctite was not used.

Steeleco
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Well don't try the heat trick then. Have you tried a little WD40 or LPS put on the tails of the screws with the gun upside down?

Scope ring screws never need to be that tight!! Good luck.

stitch
08-04-2010, 11:58 AM
dino you need me to come over....I've got a great set of tools...hammer...vise grips....I'll get it off in a jiffy :biggrin:

todbartell
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I encounter stupid tight mount screws on guns a few times a year working in the shop. Some required a trip to the gunsmith to be drilled out

rgv
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I have had luck on tight screws with one of those electric pencil vibrating engravers held against the protruding threaded end. It will even break up and loosen loktite, and will also help penetrating oil to creep into the threads (with the help of gravity)

Fisher-Dude
08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
A sharp rap down on your screwdriver's handle (when it's seated in the screw) with a small hammer will help with the elasticity of the screw's threads, and should release it. If you have an all-steel screwdriver for this, so much the better. I said rap, not pound. :wink:

Heat may help even if there's no Locktite.

muzzy
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
If they are Weaver type, wrap the screw (outside part so you don't mar the knerl) with electrical tape and use a pair of pliers to grab them and turn them off that way....And next time remember, tight is firm, not so tight as to stress the cross bolt...

blaine
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
there is a product we use at work called release all, used to have a ocean going boat that the salt water would do its wonders on all the time.tried heat, wd40, this stuff creaps into the threads andloosens them up more than an night time east end street worker.

huntcoop
08-04-2010, 07:45 PM
The gunsmith put them on and no Loctite was used that I could see. I have removed the top scope mount and the scope. The screws I'm referring to are the long cross bolt ones that hold the lower ring to the base. They are Burris Zee rings.

muzzy
08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Even Z-rings can be removed by wrapping some electrical tape around the outside and using a good fitting pair of pliers on them.The tape adds some grip and won't mar the screw heads, and the pliers will provide you with more torque than a screw driver.. Nothing to loose trying it.. Good luck..

rgv
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The gunsmith put them on and no Loctite was used that I could see. I have removed the top scope mount and the scope. The screws I'm referring to are the long cross bolt ones that hold the lower ring to the base. They are Burris Zee rings.

those cross screws Burris uses are absolute junk. The weak point in an otherwise decent design.

Princess Auto sells garbage cans made of better steel than Burris uses.

good luck, and if its any help, Burris will send you new ones for free if you phone and ask nice.

landphil
08-04-2010, 09:27 PM
A sharp rap down on your screwdriver's handle (when it's seated in the screw) with a small hammer will help with the elasticity of the screw's threads, and should release it. If you have an all-steel screwdriver for this, so much the better. I said rap, not pound. :wink:

Heat may help even if there's no Locktite.

Combine his answer with the right tool, and you have a winner - you need an impact screwdriver. A light tap shoud loosen the screws in a jiffy with no damage, but I'd take the scope off the ring if it's not already, just to prevent any damage from tapping on it. A cheaper impact screwdriver will suffice for ring screws, I think princess auto has them for about $15, or any Lordco should have /be able to get a Jet brand for not much more, or see the link

http://www.kmstools.com/lisle-3-8-drive-hand-impact-screwdriver-2767

huntcoop
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Well I managed to get the front mount off. If I typed the words that where uttered in my basement I'd be banned for life. SERENITY NOW SERENITY NOW.

Burris you blow. Your metal is shoit. Never again will I buy your crap. :evil:

Thank Christ my wife and kids are away, I feel for my dog, his ears must be bleeding from the profanity.

Rant over................:twisted:

huntcoop
08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Rear ring still attached, cheap ass Burris cross screw still hold strong albeit a bit stripped.......... :confused:

Fisher-Dude
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Combine his answer with the right tool, and you have a winner - you need an impact screwdriver. A light tap shoud loosen the screws in a jiffy with no damage, but I'd take the scope off the ring if it's not already, just to prevent any damage from tapping on it. A cheaper impact screwdriver will suffice for ring screws, I think princess auto has them for about $15, or any Lordco should have /be able to get a Jet brand for not much more, or see the link

http://www.kmstools.com/lisle-3-8-drive-hand-impact-screwdriver-2767 (http://www.kmstools.com/lisle-3-8-drive-hand-impact-screwdriver-2767)

Yep. I bought a Princess Auto one to get the 1967 oil drain plug out of my 3 horse Johnson. One smack and she was loose (doesn't necessarily apply to women, except the ones from Rutland). It sure saved me from stripping the plug, which I couldn't budge with heat nor vice grips on the screwdriver for leverage.

huntcoop
08-07-2010, 12:48 PM
All screws have been removed. Thanx to all your ideas. The hammer whack and some lube made it all release.