PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the stink off the hunting pack

GoatGuy
08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Can't get the smell of stinky mule buck out of my backpack. Smells like I've always got a deer sneaking up behind me. Any magic potions?

JeremyCarrano302
08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Fire works really good lol jk
Have u tried sunlight soap mixed with bleach? That usually gets most stinks out

bigwhiteys
08-03-2010, 11:40 PM
There is stuff out there called Mirazyme made by McNett. Comes in a little 2.5 oz bottle, should be at most outdoor stores. It's an enzyme that works well at getting rid of stink.

Carl

Jetboater
08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
soak it with white vineagar and cold water.....let it soa for a dy then air dry it outside... the vineagar smell will go away within a day.....

Gateholio
08-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Baking soda?

J_T
08-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Baby powder (unscented). Gets the skunk out of a dog.

Kody94
08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
People pay a lot of money for cover scent, and here you are trying to get rid of it. lol

pnbrock
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
was thinking the same thing kody94,your ready for the rut.

thetackdriver
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Just plug your nose...doesnt cost you a dime either

Chuck
08-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Just plug your nose...doesnt cost you a dime either

Tried and true! Lmao.

Toad Hunter
08-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Used coffee grounds. Put them in a bowl and put the bowl in the pack. Works like a charm - often in logging camps they put this in the boot rooms to keep the smell down. Leave it for a few days. Add more coffee grounds every morning!

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 08:24 AM
It is VERY easy to severely damage the inner coating on an expensive pack by using some of the potions suggested here. Dish detergent should NEVER be used on a pack and the results of doing so can be most distressing.....this comes from bitter experience.

What I do is to first get my basement bath tub full of warm water and I have already spotwashed the pack with a Woolite solution, not too strong. I hose it off outside, mix Mirazyme from MEC into the tub of water and submerge the pack and leave it overnight.

I hang it in the breeze and direct sunlight the next day and let it thoroughly air dry, this can entail turning it inside-out and it takes quite some time. I have Dana Design-Bozeman packs, the forerunner of Mystery Ranch packs, that are over 30 and nearly twenty years old, heavily used and look like new due to this treatment.

Before Mirazyme, I used the baking soda immersion after Woolite immersion and it works, but, Mirazyme is better, works faster and does not leave your pack padding full of tiny crystals to chafe you red and raw....again, learned the hard way!

I wash my packs as soon as they show any dirt or begin to get funky and they seem to last and work as they are designed to with this care.

bigwhiteys
08-04-2010, 08:32 AM
What I do is to first get my basement bath tub full of warm water and I have already spotwashed the pack with a Woolite solution, not too strong. I hose it off outside, mix Mirazyme from MEC into the tub of water and submerge the pack and leave it overnight.

Yes Mirazyme, I mentioned that at the beginning, but don't buy it at MEC if you can help it... lol... You can get it from almost any good outdoors store. It's an enzyme so it attacks the smell at a microbial level, you can't beat that and it's only like $6.00.

Carl

c.r.hunter
08-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Yes Mirazyme, I mentioned that at the beginning, but don't buy it at MEC if you can help it... lol... You can get it from almost any good outdoors store. It's an enzyme so it attacks the smell at a microbial level, you can't beat that and it's only like $6.00.

Carl

Beat me to it! I third Mirazyme as the best product I've used! And DON"T SUPPORT MEC! Any good outdoor store can order it from their McNett(makers of aquaseal, revivex ect...) disributor if they don't have it. I use it to clean my clothing & boots (removes all foot odor!!!) for bowhunting and have used it to successfully remove pet urine odor from my carpet when my dog was a pup. Also, used it to take the stank out of a hockey bag and it worked awesome! Great product!

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I have been a member of MEC since the very beginning and they often have products I need and cannot find elsewhere; I also strongly support many of the environmental projects they support.

MEC has a HUGE membership and considerable political "clout", the lack of sales to a tiny number of hunters will not make ANY difference in their public policy. Most of the members I know are not "anti" hunting, they just do not care enough to get involved, much like the 60+% of BC hunters who are not members of the BCWF.

Every time and it is very seldom, that I shop at MEC, I deliberately introduce the topic of hunting into my conversation with staffers and other members and, the responses I get are always polite and 98% positive about hunting for and eating wild, "organic" meat.....this will, IMO, do more to protect hunting than a "blockade" will, but, each to his own.

There is still a LOT hunters can/should do to clean up our image and many of the comments posted here about various non-hunters and/or killing other people's dogs makes that all too obvious.

GoatGuy
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
People pay a lot of money for cover scent, and here you are trying to get rid of it. lol

You're right but it really is that bad. If you've got an eberlestock pack you want to trade it's all yours.

mark
08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Wash it out???? :confused: I love that smell!!! :-D

MB_Boy
08-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Just a quick side question when talking about these types of materials and gettin' the "stank out".

Will something like Borax compromise any treatments on the materials of something like a pack or outer layer waterproofed clothing?

I know I have used it just in my washing machine once when I made a mistake and left a load of laundry in the washer for about 4 days that smelled unbelievably musty/stale.

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Borax is probably OK as is baking soda, in small amounts, but, light Woolite and then Mirazyme work better than anything I have ever used and I have had a lot of packs. For clothing, IF repeat IF, you rinse VERY thoroughly, Borax is good, but, I would only use the Nicwax products to wash GoreTex or similar garments.

NO soap, NO dish detergents as they can lift the H2O proofing from various fabric bases and NO Borax or baking soda. These can really iritate your skin and a very hard to rinse out.

GoatGuy
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Wash it out???? :confused: I love that smell!!! :-D

Me too got its in my hunting gear and had it in the wool pants for years but it's really bad on this pack. You can smell it when the pack's in the back of the truck.

frenchbar
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
soak it with white vineagar and cold water.....let it soa for a dy then air dry it outside... the vineagar smell will go away within a day.....

x2.........

Spokerider
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
hydrogen peroxide

RiverOtter
08-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Not to be a smart ass GG, but have you considered a bag liner?

And to SR, what chemical do you think they use to bleach skulls for european mounts...???.....An expensive pack is not exactly something you wanna "experiment" a new cleaner on.

Fisher-Dude
08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Can't get the smell of stinky mule buck out of my backpack. Smells like I've always got a deer sneaking up behind me. Any magic potions?

And you wonder why the dump bears find you so appealing.

Here's a hint: leave your pack at home when you go out to the bar.

GoatGuy
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Not to be a smart ass GG, but have you considered a bag liner?

And to SR, what chemical do you think they use to bleach skulls for european mounts...???.....An expensive pack is not exactly something you wanna "experiment" a new cleaner on.

It was actually quaretrs strapped to my pack frame which was also holding my day pack at the time. Left the hair on the quarters the one day one of the scent glands must have been sitting right on the day pack.

It'll be all hairless all the time - big fan of the hairless program.

waistdeep
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Find a operator of an Esporta Wash System and have them clean it. I know for a fact it will come out smelling neutral. Most Restoration Companies in the lower mainland have our machines and it can clean everything from back packs, boots, wools, leather jackets etc etc.

Jagermeister
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Better to have stinky buck than some eau de lavender on it. It will probably fade in time and then you will be wanting to spray a mask odour on it again. Definitely covers the human odour and since we humans do not rely on our noses to track down our prey, it will not throw us off the trail.

Kody94
08-04-2010, 09:46 PM
You're right but it really is that bad. If you've got an eberlestock pack you want to trade it's all yours.

LOL. I am not much of a cover scent guy....prefer to keep the wind in my face. :) Maybe you could sell it to some gullible 'merican on E-bay? ;)

GoatGuy
08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
LOL. I am not much of a cover scent guy....prefer to keep the wind in my face. :) Maybe you could sell it to some gullible 'merican on E-bay? ;)

Maybe sell it with a picture to one of the guys in the ek who thinks there aren't any big bucks over there.:mrgreen: