PDA

View Full Version : Big Box Stores?

Hunterguy
08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry but not really sold on these stores, Wholesale in Langley, actually live in Langley and was excited about it coming to a small town but I don't find these stores at all personable. Went there today to purchase a few items, left 0 for four, backroads download for a gps, sold out, on order, I think last month I was in there and it was the same sold out, barrell brush cleaner for a 300 mag, none left, safari sling, not in stock, box of 300 mag shells, none on the rack, hunting season opens in another two weeks and yet they don't replace their stock on the shelves, don't get it. Camp chef three burner stove $300 something, got mine at costco last year for $160. Last month I wanted to buy a high end scope, was told that if I purchased one that there was no one that could mount it and bore sight it, couldn't bring my rifle in because they can't keep rifles over night that aren't from the store. Decided I'm going to support the local guys, back to Hub or Italia or Reliable where I can rely on an actual gunsmith and I am able to at least order something and receive a phone call when it arrives.

BigBanger
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
I hear ya.

JeremyCarrano302
08-04-2010, 12:23 AM
For sum things its nice to have these big stores here but if there not stocked up there useless
Plus the worker don't care about the job I saw one employee at the nanaimo WSS drop a scope (thank god it was a cheap 50$ .22 scope) looks at me and says oops this is our new display model its kinda funny but what if it was a 1000$ scope and they sold it too sumone like they just don't care not professional at all

bridger
08-04-2010, 03:31 AM
i agree while price is always a consideration for most of us sometimes its worth paying a little more in order to get good service and talk to someone who acutally knows something about their products.

hunter1947
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
I have an account set up with cabelas they have everything I need when I want it..

Gun Dog
08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
It's new store growing pains. They still don't have anything I want to buy.

mr eagle
08-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I was looking forward to Wholesale coming as well, but was also disappointed with the selection and price. Won't be going back.

pearljam
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I have to say im looking forward to the cabelas opening in Edmonton. The wife and i usually head there once a year to vist the outlaws. Maybe it will cause the two WSS in Edmonton to open their eyes and fill their shelves for once!

Hunterguy
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Not sure they will change their prices. I used to go to Winnipeg 3 to 4 times a year and always went to SIR. The store was awesome and when I went in the summer you would get sales of camo clothing and high end boots up to 50 percent off. Wholesale was four blocks away and to be honest I have never see a sale or a marked down item ever. SIR has now become a Cabelas and now the sales have ended there also.

Barracuda
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
wholesale sports has come through for me so far. they also were the only ones to get me a left hand levelwind in the size i wanted.

For some things i will go to wholesale and for others i will go to other stores.

its like the difference between a Supermarket , a fish monger , butcher , farmers market etc.

fester
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I don't like the big box stores, ma and pa stores are way better. If I am in a town that has one I will visit it and usually come out a few bucks lighter. I love the people who say they will never go back, ya right.

Moose72
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
You only need one shell for that moose anyway. It'll be in camp so ya dont need the sling and so close ya just need open sights.

Jim.

bandit
08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
its like the difference between a Supermarket , a fish monger , butcher , farmers market etc.

Good call Barracuda. IMO the advice from Wholesale is not as good as other stores but if you have done your research and know exactly what you want to buy then why should you have to pay extra for advice you dont use?

In my personal experience the smaller stores can be a bit "snobbish" when you want to buy lower end stuff as well; I have had several experiences from reliable/italian etc where the sales guy has completely lost interest when I asked for a cheap backup / plinking rifle. So I bought one from Wholesale.

Hunterguy
08-04-2010, 01:16 PM
I hope your right 72, need a few shells for the range seeing how its a new rifle to me, one shell, lawn chair and enough rum for the celebration The Moose is Loose Lodge is off to its old stomping grounds. Bruce has been working on your call, can't go wrong.

geno
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
what most people dont understand is that just because the store says wholesale sporting goods doesnt mean they have everything in the catalog. there not like a mom and pop store as in the get there stuff from local distribures, wholesale gets there stuff from the wholesale wearhouse in calgary.
what i do if i want something, i call them, and ask. its a pretty easy step. i dont see why people think its so hard. and if they dont have what im looking for i ask if i can do a special order. again NOT TO HARD.

curt
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
not to mention the archery section is weak and i dont know about any of you, but i dont want any of those guys working on my bow. Dale at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle is the best around in my opinion. If you just want to buy products sometimes they will save you some cash but the service is nothing like the smaller stores with experienced staff.

trapperRick
08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I have gone there (Wholesale) they are mostly out of what I want and outside of a couple of the staff most are young and really don't really know what they are talking about, they are nice but not that knowledgable. I like the shop on 104th in Surrey International, Scott is the owner and the staff are great to deal with and know their stuff and will get it for you if they don't have it.

geno
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I dont know. that Geno guy that works there. he's not to bad.

ufishifish2
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
if they dont have what im looking for i ask if i can do a special order. again NOT TO HARD.

Hey Geno,
Have you ever tried actually using the "Special Order" forms that they have at Wholesale Sports?? I have 3 differnet times and never recieved any of the items, or even a simple call back for any of the items I put on order. I have been waiting for 2 years for a simple box of round nosed bullets.
That said, I do think the Kamloops store is far better than the new Langley store. I believe it will get better.

kwasky
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
i dont mind the store in kamloops although i just bought a new rifle with a leupold vx1 and they mounted and bore sighted it but i went out on the weekend and it was shooting perfect side to side but about 10 feet high WTF!! Im taking it back this week for them to fix.

pearljam
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
i dont mind the store in kamloops although i just bought a new rifle with a leupold vx1 and they mounted and bore sighted it but i went out on the weekend and it was shooting perfect side to side but about 10 feet high WTF!! Im taking it back this week for them to fix.

im not sure if you know what bore sighted means...... you still have to dial it in at the range. bore sighting just helps to get it somewhat close......

Shoot a round at 25yds. adjust cross hairs so its bang on then shoot at 100yds. You will still have to move the cross hairs to get the POI to where you like it............

DEVILKID
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
its International Shooting Supplies all the way!!!! awesome ppl.

kwasky
08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
im not sure if you know what bore sighted means...... you still have to dial it in at the range. bore sighting just helps to get it somewhat close......

Shoot a round at 25yds. adjust cross hairs so its bang on then shoot at 100yds. You will still have to move the cross hairs to get the POI to where you like it............

Ya i do know all of this and believe me i did everything i could think of to try and figure it out but after sooo long it just gets frustrating as hell and therefore I said screw it. I phoned wholesale and they said to bring it in and they will fix it.

Muleycatcher
08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Went to Wholesale in Langley and looked at the Lowa Tibet Pro hiking boots and asked if they could order me in a pair of Hunter GTX extremes and the guy said they can only bring stuff in from other stores and can't direct order from the company...???
Looks like I will order out of the states. So much for keeping my dollar in Canada.

fuzzy
08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
i agree with the people that like the mom and pop shops. I have been in there 2 times and left empty handed both times. I had all intentions of spending money and did not really see anything that had great pricing or knowledgable (sp) staff. i was looking for some rem core lokts or some other cheaper 7mm mag ammo and was more or less fed a ton of attitude for wanting some non premium ammo for poking holes in paper. geez get off your high horse. i think i will continue to support my local gunstore( Wanstalls) and by the rest of my crap at either on line or at the outfitter stores on broadway in Vancouver.

just my 2 cents

fuzzy

Gateholio
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Big Box stores offer some competitive pricing in some stuff, and some stuff they are the same or just barely better than the small stores. FOr the most part, I find it much more satisfying to shop at Omineca SOurce for Sports and pay the extra $3 on a $300 item. At least I will get a straight answer abotu if it's in stock and if it's a good product.

Special Ordering something at WSS strikes me as pretty funny. I'd never subject myself to that sort of disrespect.:-D

Johnnybear
08-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I like their selection and their hours of operation:-D but there is NO WHOLESALE IN WHOLESALE that is for sure:-?.

olharley guy
08-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Howdy, went to the nanaimo store a few times-picked up some smaller items off and on.

Went the other day to get a holster for the wifes Ruger SR9 for her birthday next week.

They have a Uncle Mike's on the website - good enough for now, for around $20.00.

Went to the store -none-the young fellow looked it up and said there was one in Calgary-asked him if they could bring it in or another-said it would take about 4 weeks?

Called the toll free-talked to a young lady-said there was one in Calgary and after shipping and taxes would be close to $40.00 and would take about 3 weeks (to throw it in a box and some postage on it??)-I politely declined.

Needless to say not to impressed at the moment, you would think they could send it on an order for the Nanaimo store or whatever-they must have some special orders or something like that and ship numerous items at the same time.

I have been calling / shopping around now but nothing yet.

Would be nice if they had a better inventory/stock control-sell something, replace it and not 6 months down the road. Later

Gun Dog
08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
On a related note, the stores and online/mail order shops have different pricing and inventory. For example the Langley store carries Vortex scopes and the online store doesn't.

Bow Walker
08-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Vortex? Did someone say Vortex?!? :-D

I have a rep about pushing/promoting Vortex optics. Well deserved too, I might add. Great products. :wink:

Back to the topic. Without reading the whole thread (I'm kinda lazy this morning) I add my 2 cents worth.

It seems to me that the big box stores are not interested overly much in hiring competent, knowledgeable people in their various departments. They may hire a department manager who has a bit of know-how, but as the rest of the day-to-day staff are almost always ignorant - both in product knowledge and in customer service skills.

That's been my experience, anyway.

Toolguy
08-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Its easy to bitch about the kids working at the big box stores, but I doubt any of you would work for thier wages.
If a box store paid well for experiance.....The customer pays more for the product.
It's simple realy.

laredo318
08-07-2010, 02:29 PM
its International Shooting Supplies all the way!!!! awesome ppl.

X2 IMHO anyway

tristanmac
08-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Howdy, went to the nanaimo store a few times-picked up some smaller items off and on.

Went the other day to get a holster for the wifes Ruger SR9 for her birthday next week.

They have a Uncle Mike's on the website - good enough for now, for around $20.00.

Went to the store -none-the young fellow looked it up and said there was one in Calgary-asked him if they could bring it in or another-said it would take about 4 weeks?

Called the toll free-talked to a young lady-said there was one in Calgary and after shipping and taxes would be close to $40.00 and would take about 3 weeks (to throw it in a box and some postage on it??)-I politely declined.

Needless to say not to impressed at the moment, you would think they could send it on an order for the Nanaimo store or whatever-they must have some special orders or something like that and ship numerous items at the same time.

I have been calling / shopping around now but nothing yet.

Would be nice if they had a better inventory/stock control-sell something, replace it and not 6 months down the road. Later

That happened to me at the WSS in Nanaimo took well over a month for me to get my rifle ordered in from Edmonton. For an expensive purchase you'd think they would get it shipped right away.

Phreddy
08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I used to be a big fan of Wholesale, Cabellas, etc., but found that in 90+% of the cases I can get just as good a deal on what I need from our little local store, keeping money in the community and helping keep an information resource open for those passing through.
My rule of thumb is, "If i find a good deal, I phone the local store and ask if he can meet or come within 5% of the price. If he can, I buy it from him." Backup service is excellent and in many cases his regular prices are just as low as the other guys. While it's nice to save a few bucks on a big ticket item, nothing sours the deal like having to wait til hell freezes over to get backup service when something goes wrong.

swampthing
08-08-2010, 05:09 PM
The big stores have their place but the smaller stores shouldnt be neglected. You cant beat the personal service you get out of a store like the powder keg in Kamloops. Mark knows everybodys name and he knows his products. I usually know more than the people behind the the counter at the big stores. Its fun to listen to them try though. Another big store that is impressive is Backcountry in Ft St John. Big store selection with small store service.

Yamnuska
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM
WSS is sooo much better than BassPRo. They should call it made in China Pro. In Basspro the guy behind the gun counter could not tell the difference between a stainless and non-stainless Tikka. I had to point it out to him...
Just saying.

I love to shop small shops but I will not pay crazy extra for the same stuff. A small premium is understandable but an extra $150 bucks on a 10/22?

Polonez
08-09-2010, 07:13 AM
I was very dissapointed with Wholesale in Langley. I used to buy all my stuff at the edmonton store when I lived there and I was excited when this store opened. I went in there and wanted to buy a box of ammo for my 300 win mag... Only had one box of 150gr... 1 box... wtf?? who the hell wants 150 gr for their 300 anyway lol
I went to international after that and It was cheaper!! and they had stock of everything...

Elkhound
08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I just hope they start stocking more inventory

shadow1982
08-09-2010, 10:15 AM
X2 IMHO anyway
I found international cheaper then WSS Langley

08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Decided I'm going to support the local guys, back to Hub or Italia or Reliable where I can rely on an actual gunsmith and I am able to at least order something and receive a phone call when it arrives.

better service at Italia? I think not. try Reliable those guys know what there doing.

Phreddy
08-09-2010, 07:02 PM
The one time I couldn't get something local I phoned Italian. They were great and I had what I wanted in a shorter time than if the local store had ordered it. In fact, the local store suggested I try Italian.

bigben
08-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Hey boys same same thing happened with wholesale when I ordered this store does not have it will have to get it from here etc etc so I went to mountain man Randy and Paul helped out more yes but no headaches http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0&feature=related this is what the box stores are doing to us remember you are someone when you shop at the mom and pops stores Happy shopping

open-sights
08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
There is good and bad with everything, the mom and pops shops are limited to store sq. footage and inventory issues, (rarely the owners fault) understanding that they can't carry every product and every line, the trade off is personal service. Generally you get expert advice at most smaller stores as well as the opinion based off real world chatter. Counterstaff hear and see everything first hand.
The box stores generally have more inventory and a lack of experience behind the counters. Having said that, all 3 WSS in BC have a few great staff members behind the gun counters. Inventory will improve, shop independants for service and box stores for quick things you need now. Support everyone, don't rule anyone out. It's nice to see the shooting/hunting world of shopping catching up to the consumer demands here in the greatest hunting area in the world!

Goliath
08-11-2010, 11:46 AM
I've done my share of shopping at WSS since the mid 80s and have been disappointed with Service, Price & Selection soooo many times.

The whole outfit is a joke. The only reason they're able to make a go of it is because they have a niche market with little competition.

If you're hell bent on shopping local, try Omineca (Vanderhoof) or Backcountry (FSJ).

bandit
08-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I used to be a big fan of Wholesale, Cabellas, etc., but found that in 90+% of the cases I can get just as good a deal on what I need from our little local store, keeping money in the community and helping keep an information resource open for those passing through.

Not convinced 'local' stores are so willing to do a deal - spent 2k at my local on an outfit the other week, asked for a discount, salesguy said either wait for the manager to come back in an hour else he would remember for next time. So I took up the offer, went back to pick up a few other bits and all he offered was 10% off a box of ammo. Fortunately I dont shoot a .22!

doug0673
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
The smaller stores need to compete price wise with the big boys. The issue starts when the big guys start bringing in their own line of products like walmart has done.

ruger#1
08-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Funny you should say that, I went to wholesale today to buy some. Barnes TSX 6.5, 130grn. wow what a surprise. They didn't have any. They want $43.99 a box of fifty. Called Hubs, They want $67.00 for the same thing. And had a box. Needless to say, I'm not going to pay that price. They can keep it.

bogtrotter
08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
I first encountered Wholesale Sports in Calgary and Lethbridge and was happy with their selection/inventory. Ordered a lot of stuff online and wasn't disappointed. Two weeks ago I visited the Langley store and found it not up to par. Little selection. I'm happy enough to stick with Reliable or ISG. As far as gunsmiths I have no idea about Wholesale.

illbuyourcatfish
08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
I wish Costco would bring in a hunting/outdoors roadshow! Low pricing and that bulletproof return policy!

aliagha
08-22-2010, 09:05 PM
I wish Costco would bring in a hunting/outdoors roadshow! Low pricing and that bulletproof return policy!

i second that..

Angel
08-23-2010, 08:46 AM

X3 costco is awesome, even if they had an online ordering for hunting and fishing supplies in bulk..... you would need to order like 6 30-06 though but for the price of 2 lol

steel_ram
08-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Please quit whining about big box stores. It's you people that patronize them that put them there in the first place.

I figure if one can afford big trucks, quads, excessive holidays and high end equipment, one could probably of afforded to support the little businesses in the first place. Now most are gone.

08-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I always try to support local shops. I use P&R Archery in Winlaw, and I tell you, I always get awesome service and if I need to come in on Sunday for in the evening for something, it's never a problem. Plus, I really don't want some kid who doesn't know squat touching my bow.

The place I use for firearms is also local. I went to pick-up some $2000 Swarovski binos there, and when I arrived, realized they don't take Visa. I started to leave, saying I would return with a cheque, when the owner said "take the binos with you, and send me a cheque in the mail". I was impressed...I don't imagine any boxstores would do that.

I personally thinks it's important to support locally owned businesses, for a variety of reasons. Think about it....when you really have an issue, it's nice to know an expert is there. Don't support him and he'll disappear.

700bdl
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
The selection in hunting clothes at WSS sucks. They carry a bigger selection of the yuppie camping clothes than clothes for hunters.

Their rifle wall looks like it has a good selection but its just three or four brands with 50 of the same model lined up.

Barracuda
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Please quit whining about big box stores. It's you people that patronize them that put them there in the first place.

I figure if one can afford big trucks, quads, excessive holidays and high end equipment, one could probably of afforded to support the little businesses in the first place. Now most are gone.

the little guys are gone cause they did not offer price or service.

If i dont get the best price i want the best service and most feel that way. Many small stores have a sense of entitlement or like they are doing you a favour. I will drive a long way to get good service if that is what i want.

The local store here is getting better then it used to be which is nice to see cept i notice they sell all that craptical mall ninja stuff and it is still a bit of suspect feel when you are shopping there .

I have gone in several times and they dont have what i am looking for which is to be expected from any store but they take my name and number and say they will call when they get it in and i never get a call?

bighornbob
08-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I went into a local gun shop and saw they were selling a bunch of Jim Shockey hunting videos. At the same time I know walmart gets them in all the time and was not really surprised to see the price almost two times the cost of the same video at Walmart. Someone else came in and mentioned that Walmart sells the same videos for a lot less and the owner went on about about how he cant buy like walmart etc etc. I almost felt bad for the guy until I noticed a Walmart price tag on one of the videos.:-D

A lot of the little guys bitch and complain about the big box stores (like WSSc and Cabelas) in one breath and the next they are there buying 2x4's for a house reno at Rona and Home depot instead of the local little guy.

BHB

Phreddy
08-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Amen to that.