PDA

View Full Version : Sheep hunt ends early

BromBones
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Mangled my knee on the opening day & had to pull the pin. :-|

Started out great though. Hiked into camp on the 31st, and by that evening I had climbed up and managed to spot a band of 7 with two legal rams. I slept in my raingear curled around a tree at timberline, and by 9 am opening day I was within ~700 yards of them. I mis-judged the terrain with the spotty weather happening and couldn't get any closer on that stalk, but was able to drop down, cross the drainage, and potentially would have been in position for a shot, but my knee let go when climbing up the far slope.

Pretty much ended any thoughts I had about finding a ram. I worked back down to my camp and spent the rest of my day swallowing ibuprofen and dipping my leg in the creek to numb it and keep the swelling down. The following morning, one look at my knee was all I needed to decide I was up shit creek with no paddle. A makeshift brace from tensor bandages, spare shirt, and tape, did enough for me to hobble out the 16 km back to the truck. Was glad to have the dog along, as he carried a whack of gear back out that I probably would have left.

Biggest ram would have been 37-38'' and 10 1/2 years by my estimations.:-D Other legal ram was a smaller full-curl 7 year old. I felt pretty sure that I'd have my first ram down the way things were going to start with, but things sure can change quickly! Hopefully get healed up for the rest of the hunting season, and try again for a ram next year.

Cheers

WoodOx
08-03-2010, 09:49 PM
too bad but good on you giving it a go!
were you solo?

good luck with gettin better bud

bridger
that is a bummer after all the planning and anticpation that has to happen. good thing is you made it back ok. there is always next year.

Gateholio
Wow, that sucks!:cry:

Hope you heal quick and get back out there!:-D

shawnwells
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
shitty buddy what a heartbreaker...get well soon

BromBones
08-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, I was hunting solo.

Bear Chaser
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Bad luck. Could have been much worse. Good luck with the rest of the year.

OutWest
08-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Bad luck man but sounds like you're a tough sob! Here's to a speedy recovery and good luck with the rest of the season!

Jelvis
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
It just takes a twist of the knee or a bad angle when stressed and bam, glad you got out safe, that's the main thing bud.
Jel .. Nice try and give the dog a pat for being good company.

todbartell
08-03-2010, 11:24 PM
sorry to hear about your luck, heal up!

hunter1947
08-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Sorry to hear about you ordeal it sucks big time when something like this happens to a person after all the years planing and work outs to get into shape.
The good thing that happened out of all of this is you made it out safe and that is # one priority.

There will be a new year and this will be good to look forward to http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

pg83
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM
glad you made it out ok. That's all that matters in the end. Next year you will have your sheep :D

srupp
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the knee..HOWEVER the PARAMEDIC training says WELL done for knowing WHAT TO DO...and HOW TO DO it...and when to pull the plug....Hope it heals fast and well and completely..

cheers
Steven

ufishifish2
08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Terrrible news, and I really feel for you, but look on the bright side, he'll still be there for me at the end of the month!!!

demlake
08-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Sorry to hear it.

But happy to hear you got out safely.

sawmill
08-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Tough luck you had,glad you`re OK.Next year maybe?

ianwuzhere
08-04-2010, 06:55 PM
16km-wow, sounds like yer dogs an awesome dog too..
-do u have a previous history with your knee?
bet u were glad that you had some pain killers...
hopefully itll heal up again and you can get rite back out there- sounds like a dream spot! Good luck.

TyTy
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
kudos on the solo trip and solo recovery (16km, damn good with a hurt knee). I imagine the dogs stock just went up a bit, mans best friend eh.

Gus
08-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Shitty deal man, that sucks. I bet it was a gret trip while it lasted. Hopefully you get healed up quick and at least you probably got a good plan for next year.

Big Lew
08-04-2010, 08:03 PM
I also hunt and trek solo, there's so many things that can go wrong and we try to have the right equipment and knowledge to allow us handle these situations as they present themselves....as obviously you were able to do. Good job! This set-back will only allow you greater enjoyment next year, when you have a successful hunt. We usually worry about ankle injuries, or cutting ourselves, etc., not as much for knee damage until packing game out. Wish you a speedy recovery. (If we were to wait until someone that was in good shape and interested enough to come along could join us, we would seldom get to go ourselves.)

BromBones
08-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the well wishes all.

Have had previous issues with the knee, but it felt great in the months leading up to the hunt. Over stressed it I guess, with the long pack in & steep shit I was climbing in. Was definitely glad to have the dog along.

Was still a good hunt & good experience. Looking forward to next year.

Cheers.

Muleycatcher
08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
That's too bad. Hopefully your all healed up for the rest of the season!

calvin L
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
That sucks man . You are the second one I hear that has had to pull out do to a knee .

Buck
08-04-2010, 09:05 PM
To Bad about the Knee Glad you got out ok.Good to have the dog to keep the spirits up.

ianwuzhere
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
hey, ive had some great times road hunting...:)

northof49
08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Thats bad luck. curious how you work the hunt with the dog along. Does he stay right with you during stalks?

GoatGuy
08-05-2010, 10:23 AM
That sucks had the same thing a couple years ago. Hobbling around the bush put a big crimp in the whole hunting season.

pappy
08-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Its a hard trip out when your in pain, good thing you made it out without any more mishaps. Sorry about your luck, and give the dog a steak for helping out. hope you have a quick recovery. I usually hunt solo myself and would like to bring my lab out one of these times, maybe in Sept I'll head out into the mountains.

BimmerBob
08-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow, does that ever suck! I am hobbling around the house on a bad knee that has no damn reason to be hurting, I was just trying to get in shape for hunting not even pushing it hard but to be where the action was and have it happen, you did well getting out hope you heal up fast.

averagejoe
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
how much dog food do you pack iin? im thinking about bringing my dog this year on my solo bighorn hunt

BromBones
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Thats bad luck. curious how you work the hunt with the dog along. Does he stay right with you during stalks?

Yes. Just tell him to 'heel', and he'll tag along right behind. I believe by rights dogs must be on a leash when hunting anything other than cats or bears - but there are certain times when the dog needs to be off the leash like thick brush/blowdown, or climbing up tricky sections. When the going is good, I usually just clip his leash on my hip belt.

If I do need to leave him behind during a stalk, I drop my pack and tie him to it. He'll lay there and wait while I do my thing.

BromBones
08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
how much dog food do you pack iin? im thinking about bringing my dog this year on my solo bighorn hunt

Worked out to about 2 cups/day for him. Also take dried moose/bear/deer meat as well - easy for him to pack and good protein. Those small rawhide bones, or a chew toy are good to take as well. When you're sitting glassing for hours, a young dog can get pretty restless and be a pain in the ass, so having something to keep him occupied is good.

Gonna work on a homemade food for him to pack, something with a little less weight/bulk but still keeps him fed well.