PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 goats/sheep

rollingrock
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty surprised there is no open season on goats or sheep in R8. A lot of areas look like good spots to me.

tbocking
08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
I know there are lots of sheep in 8 as well

WoodOx
08-03-2010, 09:53 PM
I believe the story behind no gos and limited LEH is that although there are populations, they are unsustainable/too sensitive to harvest.

there are others on here from region 8 that know significantly more than I however

mark
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I believe the story behind no gos and limited LEH is that although there are populations, they are unsustainable/too sensitive to harvest.

there are others on here from region 8 that know significantly more than I however

How could an open season on full curls be unsustainable????
Lots of goats around too, we could handle a few LEH's on them also!

rollingrock
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
How could an open season on full curls be unsustainable????
Lots of goats around too, we could handle a few LEH's on them also!

That's exact what I'm thinking. I guess more goats/sheep were lost to wild fires every year. BTW, a lot of areas were fenced along Hwy 97 or 3. Are they all private properties? I usually don't hunt in R8, but the wife suggested I check these areas out. But you know, being a stubborn person all my life....:???: And the truck's passenger mirror was smashed in my hotel's parking lot by some idiot drunk walking out of the bar tonight. What an a--hole!

Good area for hunting. But the bums are all over the place in the city in this season.

GoatGuy
08-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Sheep regs are entirely political.

Goats are down in some areas up in others.

mark
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Sheep regs are entirely political.

Goats are down in some areas up in others.

Entirely political???? Why????
Why not based on science and basic conservation principles???

Example....why couldnt kamloops sustain an open season on full curls???

GoatGuy
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Entirely political???? Why????
Why not based on science and basic conservation principles???

Example....why couldnt kamloops sustain an open season on full curls???

I'll stick to region 8 as that's the topic at hand. Most hunting seasons are not based on science or conservation principles. We can tour the province on that one- safe to say the catch word is science informed and social/stakeholder values/fallout and acceptance. The harvest strategies for mule deer, elk and moose are not about science so much as about regulations that make people happy.

A full curl season has been propsed in region 8 for the last 3 years - there isn't one. There is support from WSS and BCWF. I'll let you figure out the rest.

JeremyCarrano302
08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Uh oh sumone stirred the sheep pot lol

GoatGuy
08-03-2010, 11:35 PM
That's exact what I'm thinking. I guess more goats/sheep were lost to wild fires every year. BTW, a lot of areas were fenced along Hwy 97 or 3. Are they all private properties? I usually don't hunt in R8, but the wife suggested I check these areas out. But you know, being a stubborn person all my life....:???: And the truck's passenger mirror was smashed in my hotel's parking lot by some idiot drunk walking out of the bar tonight. What an a--hole!

Good area for hunting. But the bums are all over the place in the city in this season.

Burns are about the best things for sheep and goats around here. Most of the s ok was 'grassland' at one point. Fire surpression has really hurt our sheep, goats and mule deer in several places.

Walksalot
08-04-2010, 06:35 AM
The goat population in the 8-9 Penticton Creek watershed has taken a tumble. The burn grew back reducing habitat and the increasing predation. I voiced my concern about the decreasing population but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. A couple of years later the ministry woke up to the fact the goat population was half what it used to be.

aggiehunter
08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Sheep Hunters just happy to wander around saying they are Sheep Hunting = GOS for Full Curl Rams in Region 8.

GoatGuy
08-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Sheep Hunters just happy to wander around saying they are Sheep Hunting = GOS for Full Curl Rams in Region 8.

Guess you've never seen a full curl Cali in region 8. Maybe better binos or check the prescription on the glasses, they're certainly out there.

rollingrock
08-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I saw a herd of 5 today in R8, but none of them is full curl. All of them were feeding along the highway. :D