PDA

View Full Version : FN Road Blockade this Fall - Part 1

08-03-2010, 04:59 PM
IF YOU MEET A BLOCKADE

Some hints for BCWF members

Last year some BCWF members and others were denied access to their traditional hunting areas in the Klappan area of MU 20 in Region 6. There were also eviction notices handed out to hunters on the Jade Boulder Road and in a BC Forest Service campsite North of Iskut at Marchuea Lake. Several years ago a similar action resulted in the loss of our spike fork hunt for moose in part of Region 5. We are at risk of restriction of public access in MUs 40 and 41 in Region 7 this year. This article is in response to many member enquiries of how to deal with a blockade should they meet one. We have sought advice from members with police experience to help clarify our options. The information provided here is appropriate for any kind of illegal denial of public access to crown lands.

This year when you go hunting the motto is “Be Prepared”.

Keep writing materials, paper and cameras in your vehicle. Before you leave the paved highway, get your cameras out and be ready to take photos, or better yet video footage. When confronted with any type of blockade, the main objective is for everyone to be safe

If you encounter a blockade during your lawful hunt we offer the following
suggestions:

If the blockade encountered is unattended

Take lots of photos. Interpret what you see. Take written notes. Take pictures from every angle you can. Include photos of connecting roads and approaches. Look for observation posts in trees or cameras and photograph them if present. Assess the situation before proceeding. If you feel uncomfortable do not drive on. Practice safety first. If all else fails, have a backup plan before your enter the woods. You may have to choose an alternative hunting or fishing spot.

If the blockade you encounter is attended by protesters

Be cautious. Do not get out of your vehicle. Record the date, time and location of the blockade. If you have a GPS record the precise location. If not, be as descriptive as possible. Give the name of the road; condition of the road and what the weather is like. Do not roll your window all the way down. This is to prevent being grabbed or assaulted. Ask to speak to the blockade spokesperson. Be sure to designate only one person from your group to speak for your party. Ask questions in a respectful manner. Do not engage in an argument. Have pen and paper ready and accurately record the answers you receive. Take photos where possible (see photo instructions next section).

Sample questions are:

a) May I get your name?
b) Do you represent a certain group?
c) How long have you been here and how long do you intent staying here?
d) What will happen to us if we choose to continue to our destination?

You may not have time to write everything down. Listen carefully to what is being said and record what you can remember once you have left the scene. If anything is said that could be construed as threatening, write it down “word for word”. Do it while your memory is fresh. Only write down the facts. Avoid writing anything in your notes that is insulting or derogatory. You want to present an unbiased account. Don’t call people “idiots” or use other such negative descriptive words. It only reflects badly on your own character. Be as neutral as possible in your observations. Keep anything you write down in your possession. Don’t get talked in to giving it away, even to the police. Offer a photocopy if necessary. Keep the original in your personal possession and don’t share it with anyone else.

It is important to record and observe the following (this is where photos help immensely):

· How many protestors are present.
· The number of males and females
· Physical descriptions – clothing, hair colour, height and weight, Identifying marks
such as scars or tattoos, approximate ages
· Provide as much detail as possible such as shirt colour, shoe type, wearing glasses
or sunglasses, t-shirt logos or hats
· License numbers of vehicles, colour, make and description
such as scars or tattoos, approximate ages

Use your camera. Opt for video over still photos if you can’t manage both. If you have two dedicated people available, take both stills and video. If your video camera has sound, use it to record conversations. People who are doing something illegal or questionable may do not like to be photographed. The photographer(s) should not talk to protestors, but quietly record the proceedings. Continually assess the situation. Put the camera down in between photos and observe what people are doing. Even if protesters object to your taking their photo, resume your photography if you feel it is safe to do so. Protect yourself and camera from possible assault. It is not illegal or unethical for you to take photos of people in a public place. You may take photos outside of your home of street activities. The same right applies to activities on a crown or public road. Even on a private road, if you are stopped by a blockade, picture taking is not prohibited. What you use the photos later on for could be at issue.

The protesters may take their own video and photos, so let them do so. If they are recording the proceedings with photographs, then chances are that they will not be a problem to you.

08-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Part 2:

If you are able to get through the blockade

If you do pass through a blockade and set up camp, record any other hunter presence or protester traffic. Keep a record of when you encountered the blockade – date and time. As mentioned in the list above, take photos and video footage of the event. Follow the same protocol. If you feel your camp is at risk, leave someone to watch over it. If you have your camp under surveillance, post the fact and be up front about it. Don’t attempt to entrap people by hiding. It could escalate the situation. Remember safety first.

How to report if you are blockaded

Anyone who has been refused entry to crown land should immediately report the matter to the police and the Conservation Officer Service. Should you be threatened, be sure and ask that criminal charges be laid and request that an investigation be started. A threat is only “criminal” if there is a threat of death, bodily harm or of damage to your property. The threat must be direct in order to be criminal, such as “if you go any further we will burn your camp.” That is a criminal threat. On the other hand something in the nature of “we can’t guarantee that you won’t be visited at night” is not a direct threat but rather an innuendo. The innuendo may frighten you or make you feel uneasy, but it does not directly threaten you or your property. It is important to write the exact words down immediately, so that you can report these conversations accurately to the authorities.

Be sure and ask for an occurrence or police file number and the name of the officer. Police will generally give you their business card along with the file number written on it.

Members are urged to phone 1 – 888 – 881 – 2293 to report incidents of illegal
denial of public access. There will be a recording available 24 hours a day.

In addition to trying to prepare our members, the BCWF is attempting to enter into dialogue with several First nations on how to best maintain each other’s needs and opportunities in a spirit of mutual respect. Our purpose is to foster enjoyment for all in our outdoor opportunities today and in the future.

Respectfully submitted

Virginia Persson
Chair – BCWF Native Affairs Committee

behemoth
08-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing this, sounds like it is going to be another interesting year!!

oh and IBTL

peashooter
08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
are you telling me that a Canadian, could and probably will, stop another Canadian from hunting legal ground and the majority of Canadians won't scream bloody murder?

ibtl

Devilbear
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Yup, this is what Canada has come to in the decades since Diefenbaker, Pearson and Trudeau f**ked this country up, royally. Mulroney finished the job by selling our sovereignity over our resources to the Yankees and the public "education system" has done the rest...........

Above the doorway of the Canada Post main office in Quebec City is a statue of a golden dog and the motto, "The time will come, which is not yet, when I will bite him, by whom I am bit"....and we ordinary Canucks have been being "bit" for a long time.

I think that this will end badly and major violence is almost certain if the governments will not deal with the aboriginal situation promptly and with as much force as is necessary. It is obvious that this will not happen, any time soon and I think that soon a hunter will be killed and THEN, the backlash will change this country beyond anything we have yet seen...sad, but, that is what I see coming.

Devilbear
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
ANY politician who will stand against this has my vote, regardless of skin tone, gay-straight, rich-poor or whatever. We NEED to fight back in the political arena, BEFORE some hunter is killed and then we have no choices left concerning what action to take.

ianwuzhere
08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
thanx for the heads up, hopefully there will be no blockades...

peashooter
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Civil war. Get our great country back on track.

Andy83
08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
It is sad to see what this country has come to. There is so much wildlife, more than enough to go around for everyone, and peoples greed and stubborness get in the way. I would like to see a peaceful resolve to this, but the chances of that are unlikely. I can see it getting ugly sooner than later.

shoot2kill
08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
we hunters need a "vanderzalm" type who has the time and drive to lobby for hunter interests and to get the population to get off our collective asses and do somthing about certian groups denying us of our rights as canadian citizens.

Wild one
08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
It would be nice if all we needed to do was follow the steps you have listed to see a stop to this kind of crap.

The problem is when the time comes hunters(or any other group affected buy such blockades) will just be bent over again and told to take it from the government. I will not be holding my breath expecting action from our gov any time soon.

Thanks for trying to help and I do hope the next time a blockade appears our rights will be defended

betteroffishing
08-03-2010, 09:33 PM
i think all we need is to be as committed as those who would blockade and make threats against us. blockade their camps supply routes . no one outta the bush ," sorry fellas you see that pavement , my taxes layed that down and im not sure i like the thaught of your kind desecrating it." doesnt sound any prettier than " sorry fellas , my people been hunting these woods since time itself was an infant and im not sure i like the idea of your kind desecrating it" now does it??eye for an eye

Gunner Staal
08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
The advice of recording any blockade encounters accurately is extremely good advice. Working in the law enforcement industry myself I can assure you that if you record your encounters your chances of some type of legal retribution are MUCH improved. Future shop sells digital audio recorders. They are priceless in my line of work and will go a long way if you are threatened at any blockades. Just hit record and set it on the dash. It will pick up any conversation and you may be glad you had it if things get a little dicey.

Fisher-Dude
08-03-2010, 09:58 PM
ANY politician who will stand against this has my vote, regardless of skin tone, gay-straight, rich-poor or whatever. We NEED to fight back in the political arena, BEFORE some hunter is killed and then we have no choices left concerning what action to take.

I'll tell ya one thing for sure: who it won't be. It won't be that Metis hag with her Indian husband telling the aboriginals what the score is. She bragged to the BCWF convention that her husband gets a freezer full of moose meat every year. Gee, I wonder why?

demlake
08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I didn't see that haggis-eatin' kilt-wearin' boozehound drunkard do much about the blockades last year.

Does he even hunt?

The only shooters he's interested in come in a shot glass.

And so on.

Not that James will do anything about it either.

It's a problem without an easy solution. Therefore no politician with any plans to gain or keep power will touch it.

Mike Harris and Iperwash taught them that lesson.

Jelvis
08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Time to collect some money and hire an undercover professional private investigator to infiltrate these happenings.
JP .. An undercover pro private investigator could go underground and collect valuable information and photo's for BCWF to crack this case. It could put an end to these corrupt officials once and for all.

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I'll tell ya one thing for sure: who it won't be. It won't be that Metis hag with her Indian husband telling the aboriginals what the score is. She bragged to the BCWF convention that her husband gets a freezer full of moose meat every year. Gee, I wonder why?

FD, why would you post this? You have read my comments on the aboriginals here and have seen me threatened with banning for my suggestions as to how they should be dealt with when they misbehave.

You have seen a number of self-styled "FNs", actually mixed-breed individuals deliberately attempt to provoke me here with nasty lies about me, my family background and the facts of BC-Canadian history and current affairs, to the point where my response might get me banned and one such even posted that.

I make a post about an entirely different topic and am threatened by a guy who has insulted my family here and on other forums and supports the "dippers" because he is a metis. This is typical of that group and they invariably hide behind either their computers or blockades where they are protected by the RCMP WE pay.

After this, do you really think that I would vote for or give support to ANY politician or initiative that would support or assist ANY aboriginal at ANY time? Never f**king happen and among my reasons for loathing Campbell is he broke his word about containing these situations and became all "buddy-buddy" with every so-called "chief" in BC, at our expense and to our detriment.

Vote NDP and help the injuns, not in this lifetime!!!

We NEED a REAL BC Ultra-Conservative Party and we need it NOW!!!!

CanuckShooter
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
The advice of recording any blockade encounters accurately is extremely good advice. Working in the law enforcement industry myself I can assure you that if you record your encounters your chances of some type of legal retribution are MUCH improved. Future shop sells digital audio recorders. They are priceless in my line of work and will go a long way if you are threatened at any blockades. Just hit record and set it on the dash. It will pick up any conversation and you may be glad you had it if things get a little dicey.

AND before you know it your embroiled in a court case that could potentially drag on for years upon years and a few more years...all to see those charged get 1/2 time for time served and sixty days of probation.

BETTER advice would be to turn around and find somewhere else to hunt as the potential grief from taking a stand wouldn't be worth taking it on.

AS said once by someone else, "you gotta know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em".......:mrgreen:

Ozone
08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I think we should have the military go in and clear them all out, using whatever force nessesary. Couple of smart bombs should do it.

08-04-2010, 10:06 AM
No elected official will stand up to this kind of crap, they are in it for their pension, nothing more, it will continue until we all have equal rights which .... will never happen .... as long as the free hand outs continue so will this......

so that said why bother taking a chance to ruin your holiday.

CT

CanuckShooter
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I think we should have the military go in and clear them all out, using whatever force nessesary. Couple of smart bombs should do it.

That would be typical like taking a machine gun to a knife fight...why not fight fair like say hand to hand combat?? Mano vs Abo !! :mrgreen:

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
...fight fair..., yeah, much like the savages who tortured and ate European colonists when their superior numbers overwhelmed the courageous settlers.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, historical facts are not "PC" these days...TFB, I agree, USE the military and get'er done!

08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Just before this gets locked.....

Maybe delete the up comming offensive posts and stickie it.
because this is good advise if required.

ok ..... continue

CanuckShooter
08-04-2010, 10:50 AM
...fight fair..., yeah, much like the savages who tortured and ate European colonists when their superior numbers overwhelmed the courageous settlers.

Oh, sorry, I forgot, historical facts are not "PC" these days...TFB, I agree, USE the military and get'er done!

I was thinking that we are going to see far more use of gates and road closures by large corporations to restrict our access to crown land before this decade is over. These sporatic road blocks by special interest groups are the least of our problems when faced with a Liberal government that will roll over to corporate interests and allow them to profit at our expense.:evil:

jessbennett
08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I was thinking that we are going to see far more use of gates and road closures by large corporations to restrict our access to crown land before this decade is over. These sporatic road blocks by special interest groups are the least of our problems when faced with a Liberal government that will roll over to corporate interests and allow them to profit at our expense.:evil:

ya those sporatic roadblocks are no different than those gates in which you speak of......... basically it comes down to a group of people who are stopping or trying to stop law abiding legal hunters from doing what they intend to do. legally hunt. Whether its a steel gate or a bunch of hoodlums with bandanas over the face weilding weapons or throwing rocks at vehicles. its one in the same.
There is really not one shred of difference in what you post. A govt that will roll over to first nations interests, give in to their demands for the sake of keeping them quiet.
Heck, we've allowed first nations to profit at tax payer expense for years!:wink:

smoke-eater
08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Part 3

When stopped at a road block toss 3 cans of pilsner and one bottle of lysol into the bush. You will be good to hunt for the next couple of days.

While hunting remember to bring an extra pil. in your pocket. It will be used to distract said protesters allowing you to excape.

BigBanger
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
ibtl, I think if you start throwing that crap into the bush you should get a fine for littering.

jessbennett
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Part 3

When stopped at a road block toss 3 cans of pilsner and one bottle of lysol into the bush. You will be good to hunt for the next couple of days.

While hunting remember to bring an extra pil. in your pocket. It will be used to distract said protesters allowing you to excape.

hahahhahahahaha..... thats like feeding a steak to a pack of lions.....
aqua velva may work to...... especially the little travel ones. its like a portable lil miny bar...... plus it comes in different colors for the fancy shooter wow factor.....:mrgreen:

p.s. IBTL

anyways......... back to our regularily scheduled programming.....:mrgreen:

Albafly
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
If you record something without permission, can it be used as evidence?

Thanks

behemoth
08-04-2010, 11:30 AM
If you record something without permission, can it be used as evidence?

Thanks
You dont need permission to record something happening in a public place

Jelvis
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Time to bring mantracker in or that repo guy on tv lol

08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
repo men is a spoof "Based on true events"
man tracker on the other hand.......

Crawfy42
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Already getting mad.... What's ibtl?

jessbennett
08-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Already getting mad.... What's ibtl?

in b4 the lock...................................:wink:

snowhunter
08-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Homeland Security has been busy fighting terrorist since 1492 :)

Devilbear
08-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Don't you realize that this IS what is really behind the last couple of decades of radical behaviour from aboriginal peoples...wake up, man, "neo-cons" like Campbell (means crooked mouth in our ancestral Gaelic, gee, WHAT a surprise, eh!) are USING the indians and will NEVER allow them to really run things in ANY region of BC....I mean, this little ginhead is even slimier than Ujjal and "Mini-Wack" together!

I agree with "jessbennett", both intrusions are the same in respect of their effects upon we ordinary hunters and we should fight back, "no holds barred".

ufishifish2
08-04-2010, 03:47 PM
What a bunch of hogwash that original post was.
If we took the time and made the effort to do all that, we would be the only ones doing anything about it. What an absolute waste of time.
Unless you are delusional enough to think this system is really working, you would know that nothing will happen with the data you have so diligently and politely recorded. Pfft! What a load of crap!
IBTL

bwhnter
08-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Heard a rumour that there was a blockade recently put up at the boat launch on the liard River above Whirlpool Canyon, restricting access to the Kechika. Has anyone else heard about this?

Lone Ranger
08-12-2010, 01:04 PM
That would be typical like taking a machine gun to a knife fight...why not fight fair like say hand to hand combat?? Mano vs Abo !! :mrgreen:

Because they haven't been fighting fair since day one either. I don't necessarily support a military attack as I don't think they have exactly warranted it yet specifically (in this example), but I do believe that if they are going to start killing people (ie hunters) and stage armed roadblocks then definitely yes, they have to dealt with in force. Most of the northern RCMP detachments aren't equipped to deal with them, but the military is. For them to arm themselves and stage a block to an area of public land is an offensive movement (especially if lives were at stake), I know the gov't wouldn't stand it for one second if we were to try something like that. They're no different than spoiled children who've been left to run amuck, its time for the gov't to grow some balls and deal with them appropriately. My .02 at least. LR

sako_300
08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Heard a rumour that there was a blockade recently put up at the boat launch on the liard River above Whirlpool Canyon, restricting access to the Kechika. Has anyone else heard about this?

I drove past on Sunday and didn't see anything from the highway. This would be an interesting blockade if it was true...

aggiehunter
08-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Snowhunter...Snicker...and they said they were only staying a couple of weeks...

bwhnter
08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Heard it from a very reliable source but i talked to Moe and they haven't heard anything yet. I know some guys are headed up this weekend so I guess that will tell the tale.

gbear
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
I just received some pictures and appears to be true. MOE is now aware of it. The information sign says to contact the Kaska Dena Council for more information

Devilbear
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
To hell with further accomodation of these goons, bring in a JTF2 force and teach them a lesson that they will NEVER forget, enough is enough!

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
A Hunger strike would end this non sense once and for all ..
Set up a sign .. Hunger Strike til the government deals with this issue ..
Will bring more attention and a real quick response, the people love a hunger strike.
Media would be all over this, tv, newspaper, intraweb, twitter, google youtube
... Start with Youtube and go from there.
Jelly .. Media will suck this up like a Iced coffee capacheeno ..

bwhnter
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Talked to the MOE they are aware of the situation. They haven't heard from the Kaska Dena Council so they say it "might" be a peaceful protest and that they might let people in to access the launch. When I asked them what there solution might be they said they will have a press release. Don't hold your breath for a response any time soon though they said some time next week.

Wild_Dog
08-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Aren't the HA active in that area? lol
Could get interesting if so.....

bwhnter
08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
I know some pretty large crews that have been going up there for 7-10 years and if they are told they can't access the river........yikes.

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 04:47 PM
It's provincial with the MOE and natives are Federal so their hands are tied until INAC does something .. it will stay this way for ever and a day.
JP .. Moregun

sawmill
08-12-2010, 05:00 PM
A Hunger strike would end this non sense once and for all ..
Set up a sign .. Hunger Strike til the government deals with this issue ..
Will bring more attention and a real quick response, the people love a hunger strike.
Media would be all over this, tv, newspaper, intraweb, twitter, google youtube
... Start with Youtube and go from there.
Jelly .. Media will suck this up like a Ice coffee capacheeno ..
You gonna quit eating Jell?
I can see the headlines now.
"A strange and illusive B.C. resident who has never been photograghed has twittered to the world that he is on a hunger strike until the F.N blockade issues are settled.We attempted to interview him via HBC,a site well known for it`s vast membership of hunters and gun owners and other right wing radicals but when we recieved a response,it was mostly disjointed gibberish.
Further attempts at communication proved equally as fruitless and ,in fact, caused one of our reporters begin wandering around in tight circles muttering phrases such as "Jelly don`t roll no mo food for thought think out side dude it`s rude the box and the fox and the cat in the hat"
When we traced his account and checked the responses,there was only one.
Apparently his Phsycologist is very worried about him."

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Are you kidding I just gulped down two double greasy cheese burgers.

IronNoggin
08-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Simply TRY to blockade or evict me! :twisted:
I guarantee you will not like the response.
Hint: Check my sig song :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

Jelvis
08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
It's there now apparently what you waiting for? Need some back-up?

Devilbear
08-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Simply TRY to blockade or evict me! :twisted:
I guarantee you will not like the response.
Hint: Check my sig song :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

+1, although I prefer either "Soldiers of the Queen" or "The British Grenadiers" as a "sig song"....but, with enough of us determined to defend OUR rights this way, we shall overcome.

sako_300
08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
This will get really interesting around the Aug 28-29 when all the guys are launching to go up Elk hunting for the 10 day season.

Creeker
08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
This is ridiculous!!! Last year when we were up there, we were trailer number 5. When i went down i personally counted 61 boat trailers.
This will not be peaceful.
We will not take this shit up here!
They better have a pile of ***** lined up.

This is personal not some money grab from oil companies!!!

What I find interesting is where were they for the last 2 weeks when the outfitters were boating in their supplies and horses?? Now gates are up to block residents?

bad arrow
08-12-2010, 09:53 PM
You gonna quit eating Jell?
I can see the headlines now.
"A strange and illusive B.C. resident who has never been photograghed has twittered to the world that he is on a hunger strike until the F.N blockade issues are settled.We attempted to interview him via HBC,a site well known for it`s vast membership of hunters and gun owners and other right wing radicals but when we recieved a response,it was mostly disjointed gibberish.
Further attempts at communication proved equally as fruitless and ,in fact, caused one of our reporters begin wandering around in tight circles muttering phrases such as "Jelly don`t roll no mo food for thought think out side dude it`s rude the box and the fox and the cat in the hat"
When we traced his account and checked the responses,there was only one.
Apparently his Phsycologist is very worried about him."

Hahahahahahaha