PDA

View Full Version : Management Units and Forestry Roads

Slinky Pickle
08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Ok, I think I have finally figured out how to attach the Google Earth file of all the B.C. management units as well as the forestry roads. If you save this file to your computer and then unzip it, you should have a file called "Roads and Management Units.kmz". You should then be able to open that file in Google Earth and have everything you need to plan your trips this fall.

I know I posted this info before but at that time I wasn't quite bright enough to figure out how to attach the file to the post.

If you need a hand figuring it out feel free to PM me.

Steeleco
08-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks Slim. The MU's I had from another post but the roads is kinda nice. The area I stomp they use "Spur ??" designation. I'm going to have to look closer to see if the maps match the signs?

Everett
08-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for that works like a charm.

RJ
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Pretty slick :grin:

rgv
08-03-2010, 09:56 AM
thanks a bunch!!

how does that much data get into a 2 kb file? does it link your google earth session to an external data source?

Slinky Pickle
08-03-2010, 10:00 AM
thanks a bunch!!

how does that much data get into a 2 kb file? does it link your google earth session to an external data source?

Yes, it's basically just a link to the B.C. government website database. The beauty of that is, as the foresty road database updates, so does what you see on Google Earth each time you view it.

d6dan
08-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Slinky Pickle. Just loaded it onto Google Earth.. Works great!..

VicP
08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Works like a charm..... Thanks Slinky Pickle

BlacktailStalker
08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Pretty cool feature.
Is there a way to minimize the road names font ?
It kind of over powers what you're trying to look at.

Slinky Pickle
08-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Pretty cool feature.
Is there a way to minimize the road names font ?
It kind of over powers what you're trying to look at.

Unfortunately, I think it's pretty much, you get what you get.

ROM
08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Many Thanks Slinky! I appreciate it!

Did I say thanks?????????

R

demlake
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks for another addition to GoogleEarth.

There are a lot of things you can do with it.

blindcast
08-19-2010, 06:47 PM
This is just beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I love it. When the vote comes up for sainthood, you're in for sure. Thanks a million.

coyotebc
08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks a lot

TurtleGod
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Thanks a bunch Slinky Pickle, thats going to be a big help this year. tried other things but didn't work this good.

TurtleGod

slashhunter
08-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Works Great! That said. I used it yesterdat with no problem now today theres a giant Red "x" across where ever i look at...Could be a problem

aliagha
08-22-2010, 11:39 PM
thanks a-l-o-t, it really helped

Slinky Pickle
08-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Works Great! That said. I used it yesterdat with no problem now today theres a giant Red "x" across where ever i look at...Could be a problem

The Google Earth file links to a B.C. government website to pull the management unit and road data from each time. A big red X indicates that their server is unavaliable at that time. Although it happens every once in a while, they usually get it back up and running pretty quickly.

Steeleco
08-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Hey SP what source did you use to find this file in the first place? I wanted to pass it along to a buddy but couldn't find it through normal means.
I sent him your link!! Thanks Sir.

Slinky Pickle
08-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey SP what source did you use to find this file in the first place? I wanted to pass it along to a buddy but couldn't find it through normal means.
I sent him your link!! Thanks Sir.

The file I used was one that the governemt used to offer on their GEO BC website. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to find the same file through their current offerings. The main difference between the old one and the new one is that the old supports the outlined MU with the numbers on them. The new one just supports the shaded version.

For the current MU data go to this site http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html and then download the last file in the list. The forest road data is on the same site but is found in the "Licenses and Permits" file.

Also, it looks like their whole file server is down right now so none of the info is coming through. I would guess that it should be back up some time today.

Slinky Pickle
08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
The government servers seem to be functional again. The MU and forest roads are showing up on Google Earth for me now.

farside
08-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Sooo, silly question maybe but how do you get a more current Google. The scans of the area I am looking at are really old as I know the area very well. It has grown up considerably since the pics were taken. In fact, you would hooped if you based a trip on the images provided by google other than elevation and water. I estimate the image to be 6 yrs old or so.

Still just love google earth though. Dream hunting.:wink:

The Hermit
08-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Awesome... I am going to email that link to myself and see if it will work with the Googe Earth app on my iPhone! If if does it would be great to have if/when hunting in an area with cell service.

demlake
08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
The images in my areas are old as well.

I don't know if there are more up-to-date photos available?

One help is the forest roads. They are more up to date, and at least give you an idea of what areas have been logged in the past couple of years.

Gun Dog
08-23-2010, 10:12 PM
If you look at the bottom of the Google Earth window you'll see that the images are courtesy of the Province of BC. I guess they're sharing their image database with Google. Whenever the Province gets around to updating them is when Google gets them. (Some cities -- like Surrey -- provide images too.)

reach
08-23-2010, 10:15 PM
The file I used was one that the governemt used to offer on their GEO BC website. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to find the same file through their current offerings.
You can get something like that using the "new and improved" GeoBC KML under GeoBC Web Map Library --> BCGov Base Mapping WMS --> Transportation --> Transportation - Unpaved Roads. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I like to turn on the lake names layer when moving around so there are a few landmarks I can recognize. There are all kinds of useful layers there if you dig - all the MU and LEH zone boundaries for example.

reach
08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
The images in my areas are old as well.

I don't know if there are more up-to-date photos available?Sometimes you can get better photos under the GeoBC Web Map Library --> BC Gov Base Mapping WMS --> BCGov Imagery WMS --> Provincial Mosaics. There are a bunch of different imagery layers from different sources of varying quality.

The main GeoBC .kmz file to load all this stuff into Google Earth can be found at http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/kml_files/GeoBC_Web_Map_Services_Library.kmz

demlake
08-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks reach.

That's a great addition.

If you add the following layer:

GeoBC Web Map Library
-BCGov Licenses and Permits WMS
-Forest Cut Blocks - FTEN
o All Forest Cut Blocks - Outlined

it will show you current logged blocks.

In the area we log, at least, it's showing blocks we logged this past spring.

Lots of other good sources of info as well.

Slinky Pickle
03-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Typical government... that had a perfectly thing in place and they screwed it up. The Google Earth Management Unit info on the B.C. government site USED to convienently show the management unit numbers inside each management unit.... but they fixed that. Now, not only do you not get to know what MU you are looking at, you have to look in in a different spot within the overall Google Earth file just to find the MU data.

The new file is available here.

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/fsp/documents/FRPAFSP_Forest_Data_Access_Layers_2010_03_31.kmz

Once you have it open in Google Earth, look in Management Objectives / Wildlife / Wildlife Management Units. A really useful legend pops up (I'm kidding... the legend sucks) showing the different Management Unit colours. They are all so similar that you can't tell them apart. Oh well... our tax dollars at work.

Forestry cut blocks can now be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Forest Cut Blocks

Forestry roads can now be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Forest Road Segments

Also, if you're looking to find the destinctions between Private Property and Crown Land, that can be found under Tenure and Cadastre / Cadastral Fabric

What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Barracuda
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Dammit I am not doing well with this

Slinky Pickle
03-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I should have mentioned that once you get to the headings I indicated above, you will probably have to click on the little sideways triangle by each title. This will show you all the different sub headings below it.

upcomer
03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
No legend pops up for me or anywhere that says "Management Objectives / Wildlife / Wildlife Management Units"

Any clue where i could find those?

Slinky Pickle
03-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Do these pictures help?

http://www.ospreydesign.ca/forum_pics/MU.JPG

http://www.ospreydesign.ca/forum_pics/Blocks%20and%20Roads.JPG

upcomer
03-12-2012, 05:47 PM
yes it does. thanks slinky

sthdslayer
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
HI slinky would you please repost the link to the file it doesnt seem to be there anymore

Thanks