PDA

View Full Version : Portable shelter

MikeB
08-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Anyone use one of those Canadian Tire auto shelters for a hunting camp shelter? Just wondered if they are any good or not.

killman
08-02-2010, 07:58 PM
We put one on the end of the Wall tent worked pretty good.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN2033.JPG

fozzy
08-02-2010, 08:00 PM
I used to have one and we used it one year. Not bad results. Keeps the weather out and you could make up one wall with a stove pipe hole if you wanted to.

curt
08-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I do the exact same thing i put one off the end of my wall tent it work great as a mud room/kitchen area.

bandanaman
08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
We've used this type of tent before and they can be great.The one problem with the set up is condensation.Double tarp the whole structure and it pretty much eliminates that problem.Add a stove and some indoor outdoor carpet and bring your slippers.One other alteration we made was to shorten the vertical posts about six inches making more of a skirt to seal out drafts and varmits[Mice] they come and go as they please anyways but it does make it easier to heat.We also tie strapped a piece of plywood between two central posts to run our stove pipe out the side.No holes in the roof and just a ten inch hole in the wall.We also staggered the side wall tarps to wrap around the corners by about six inches helping to seal drafts there as well.You have to get creative at the other end but we would run the double roof tarps for a bit of a porch for a mud room to close off the other end.

thetackdriver
08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
We have tried the costcos version of this. Too many pieces to put together. Lots of drafts as well. Even with a wood stove and straw on the ground it still doesnt beat a canvas tent

hunter1947
08-04-2010, 05:17 AM
This camp set up of yours is very nice I like your idea http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

sneg
08-04-2010, 03:56 PM
good stuff. keep fly open on top to get moisture out.

KevinB
08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
We've used one for many years. Works great, with a stove ring added to one of the end walls and a couple of pieces of scrap sheet metal to shield the material near the stove. Never had any condensation problems. The trick to stopping drafts is to tarp it, if you do that it will be very toasty. And Costco used to sell them for about $200 so you can't beat the price.

sparkymacker
08-05-2010, 07:13 AM
We've used one for many years. Works great, with a stove ring added to one of the end walls and a couple of pieces of scrap sheet metal to shield the material near the stove. Never had any condensation problems. The trick to stopping drafts is to tarp it, if you do that it will be very toasty. And Costco used to sell them for about $200 so you can't beat the price.

The new ones at Costco are sealed up way better and have a couple of windows in them as well (Wayne posted a picture of one). I have the older version and it is a bit too drafty without a tarp. I did the woodstove and metal sleeve for the pipe in the wall and it warmed up great. Using one as a porch off your wall tent is a great idea.

dhog
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
We use one of the costco versions every year, double tarp it, have a ground sheet, sleeps four guys no problem