PDA

View Full Version : Backroad Mapbook for GPS

todbartell
08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I got the BC microSD card the other day, what a great upgrade for my Garmin Legend HCX. :-D

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/images/BCBC-SD-2010v1.jpg

Simply insert the card into the slot under the battery door and turn on the GPS. Amazing detail on trails and roads, and you can get directions via road from A to B. Also shows MU boundaries!

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/images/samples/GPS/Managment.jpg

$150, well worth every cent

I look forward to using my GPS even more this fall

tb

huntingfamily
08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Are you able to alternate between that and topo canada easily?
I'm just thinking in the event one of them had something the other didn't.

Thanks.

hf

trigger
08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
hey mark
just wondering what the price of those gps are?

todbartell
08-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Thanks.

hf

not sure, never have used the topo canada program. sorry

hey mark
just wondering what the price of those gps are?

$210 for the Legend color HCX

betteroffishing
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
i agree todd . make sure to go online and unlock your mapsource version to your pc. great tool for sure.

r106
08-02-2010, 02:19 PM

I have it on my 60csx. I don't see the point in having both topo and the backroads map. But if you do want both just get a larger micro sd card I guess? I've never used topo on my gps but have it on my computer and it just has a couple roads and elevations. Backraod maps has way more roads, detail and info
________
Ktm 525Sx (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/KTM_525SX)

buck nash
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks.

hf

It's just a little micro sd card. you stick it the slot on your gps. my gps (legend e trex) has only one slot so you would have to change cards to change maps. you can have both on your computer though and you just go to your map manager to switch.

The backroads map is quite detailed though some of the smaller roads were not quite where they are supposed to be. For the most part it was bang on.

I had a really hard time loading the map onto my computer. It takes close to an hour to download the program from the internet and after several times installing and then un installing I could not get my laptop to read it. It said the map was unlocked but showed none of the detail that it was supposed to.

I ended up bringing my laptop to the backroads office and their tech guy was also not able to get it running. He gave me a copy of the program on a flashdrive and I was able to get it onto my home computer after several attempts and lots of swearing. Works fine on the gps and the home computer now but I have the number for the folks who wrote the program to see if they can help me get it onto my laptop. It's a new acer notebook barely used and I don't think its the problem but who knows.

Buck
08-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a Garmin for the truck can i put the Backroads sd card into it and use it for the Backcountry roads.Does the interface change to a Backroads interface automatically or do you have to format the topo canada differantly?

Rusty
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I was just going to post a "Wanted ad for a TOPO MicroSD Data Card for South BC. and I see your post.
I bought one a few years ago and use it in my Garmin Street Pilot and it works well for Hunting BUT maybe the Mapbook MicroSD would be the better choice?
I am glad I saw these postings.
Where can I buy the Mapbook SD Card?
Thanks
Rusty
:confused:

betteroffishing
08-02-2010, 05:54 PM
wholesale sports in langley has it as does international shhoting supplies in langley . if you want the southern b.c. topo , i have one , need to find out what i paid for it to quote you a price , but its going to be way cheaper than the 150.00 plus taxes that the backroads mapbook costs. pm me if you have interest

Brew
08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
I have both the topo Canada and backroads bc. Does the backroads show elevation. If it does not my rino 530 kept the topo and added the backroads maps as well. Topo can does a pretty good job of showing roads and I wish backroads gave names and numbers of the backroads.

todbartell
08-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Backroads does show the elevation

I 'GO TO' home from gun range this evening, hit a few side streets off my route, and the unit corrects its route and tells you where to drive to and turn until you're back on track. Pretty cool

I got mine from work, Omineca Sports. Most any sporting goods store should stock them if they deal with the mapbooks (who doesn't?)

now if I can find the big 340" 6 point bull elk on this thing.............:mrgreen:

buck nash
08-02-2010, 10:51 PM
I have both the topo Canada and backroads bc. Does the backroads show elevation. If it does not my rino 530 kept the topo and added the backroads maps as well. Topo can does a pretty good job of showing roads and I wish backroads gave names and numbers of the backroads.

Yep it shows contours in 20 metre incriments

coyotebc
08-03-2010, 12:01 AM
For guys using topo map canada, last fall at Pink Mountain my free version of ibycus 2.1 showed all the cut lines I was on.
Around Cache Creek the topo map showed more roads.
I haven't downloaded ibycus 3.2 yet so I don't know how it compares to either the backroads or topo map.
The good news is that ibycus 2.1 or 3.2 is free to download off any torrent site.
If you don't want to download it the guy charges I think $25 for the dvd, it works with garmins only

Steeleco
08-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I tired the ibycus 2.1 and it messed up my GPS. Had an implanted ring tone.
Took $100 and 2 trips to Garmin to find it. But it did work well on my computer, just not as much detail as the Garmin topo's. May have to find 3.2?

For the guys that can't find the chips local retail, you can buy them direct for the same price.
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/gps-maps-1723/british-columbia-1724/?zenid=g9fd955e4e2gpgs5cnpg14ac54

Elkhound
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I have a Garmin for the truck can i put the Backroads sd card into it and use it for the Backcountry roads.Does the interface change to a Backroads interface automatically or do you have to format the topo canada differantly?

was wondering this too

coyotebc
08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
The backroads map is registered to a specific gps, so you can't swap the card between gps units.

I use nRoute on my netbook and attach it to my gps so I get a 7 inch screen for the map.
I have done it with my 15 inch laptop as well,makes it easier to figure out trails.
My gps is a garmin 60CSx.
I have used topomap on the gps and ibycus 2.1 on the netbook (connected to gps via nRoute) so I could compare both maps in real time.
nRoute was a free program that you could download from garmins website, they no longer have it on there now as they have a pay program now. Quick search on google will let you find it

betteroffishing
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
not true. i plugged my sd card into my rhino and it read it just fine without needing to go online and register anything. unless im misunderstanding you.

coyotebc
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
You are correct, when they first came out I was told that you had to register the card on-line.
I just checked their FAQ's and they say you can move the card between units.
Good news for me

coyotebc
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
See below, this might be what they were talking about.
I think this is how they lock the registration to 1 gps.
If you have better information please let me know

9) Once I buy the SD card, can I use the product on my computer in MapSource as well?
Yes, but you will have to register your product with us first. Please go here for registration information (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/Register.html). Once your product is registered you will see a "MapSource Download" button in front of your registered product when you login to your account with us. Alternatively, we can mail the MapSource Readable Version on a DVD to you but this does not include a license key and there is a $20 charge for this service. Our MapSource Version is windows compatible Only. Click here for install instructions. (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/how.html)
back to top (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/FAQ.html#top)

buck nash
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
See below, this might be what they were talking about.
I think this is how they lock the registration to 1 gps.
If you have better information please let me know

9) Once I buy the SD card, can I use the product on my computer in MapSource as well?
Yes, but you will have to register your product with us first. Please go here for registration information (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/Register.html). Once your product is registered you will see a "MapSource Download" button in front of your registered product when you login to your account with us. Alternatively, we can mail the MapSource Readable Version on a DVD to you but this does not include a license key and there is a $20 charge for this service. Our MapSource Version is windows compatible Only. Click here for install instructions. (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/how.html)
back to top (http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/FAQ.html#top)

This refers to the downloadable map that you load onto your computer. The sd can be read by any garmin gps unit with a slot. But computers cannot read the sd card. You must download this program from their web site then install it onto your computer. In order to do this you have to have the sd card in your computer while registering. This gives you a 25 digit code to unlock the downloaded map. once installed you can view all the same details that you would see on your gps unit.

You can use mapsource to transfer waypoints, tracks,etc. from your gps to your computer and vice verse. You can do this without downloading backroads or registering but you will not see the same detail on your computer.

coyotebc
08-03-2010, 11:45 PM
I know that,but I was told that once you registered, the product, mapsource married that map to a single gps.
Yes you may be able to physically move the sd card out of one unit to another, but you could not load the maps onto another gps using mapsource.
The example I was given that if mapsource married that map to my 60CSx and it was stolen, if I tried using mapsource to load the map onto new gps it would not unless I bought a second license key.
The purpose of this obviously is to prevent 5 guys from buying one copy of the backroads map and then loading a copy onto 5 gps'.

buck nash
08-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I don't think the gps loads the maps. It just reads it off the card while its plugged into that gps unit. That is what prevents you from sharing it. The gps does not need to be connected when you register your card so I don't see how it would marry the card to the gps. I have only one gps so I can't say with authority but I dont belive the registration affects the card's ability to move from unit to unit. Also the salesman told me that it could be move from unit to unit. but he could be wrong too i suppose.

coyotebc
08-04-2010, 08:02 PM
You are missing what I am saying.
Yes the card it self can be moved from gps to gps.
What you can not do is use your computer and mapsource to load the map onto more then 1 gps.
If you buy topomap you can load the map onto multiple gps' at the same time, you can't do that with backroads map

r106
08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I registered my copy using my 60csx and have used it a few times transfering data to and from my mapsource version. I also can do it with my dads Dakota series gps using my card
________
Y125Z (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Y125Z)

coyotebc
08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I registered my copy using my 60csx and have used it a few times transfering data to and from my mapsource version. I also can do it with my dads Dakota series gps using my card
Do you mean that you have a blank card in your dad's Dakota that you transfer the map data from your computer onto you dad's gps?
And that both you and your dad would have the maps on your gps' at the same time?
If so great, i asked this question at the Backroads booth at the Tradex show and they said you could not do this.

Mauser98
08-04-2010, 09:19 PM
For guys using topo map canada, last fall at Pink Mountain my free version of ibycus 2.1 showed all the cut lines I was on.
Around Cache Creek the topo map showed more roads.
I haven't downloaded ibycus 3.2 yet so I don't know how it compares to either the backroads or topo map.
The good news is that ibycus 2.1 or 3.2 is free to download off any torrent site.
If you don't want to download it the guy charges I think $25 for the dvd, it works with garmins only

I've downloaded versions 2.1 and 3.2. IMHO, 3.2 is a waste of time. most of the logging roads in my area that show up in 2.1 don't appear 3.2.

coyotebc
08-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I've downloaded versions 2.1 and 3.2. IMHO, 3.2 is a waste of time. most of the logging roads in my area that show up in 2.1 don't appear 3.2.
Good to know, I did like 2.1 but I had heard that Dale used a different data source for version 3.x

betteroffishing
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
i get what your saying now coyote , no your correct you cant pirate the backroads mapbook , make multiple copies from the one you download from the interweb. you can however sell your current gps and purchase a new gps and still use your sd card in the new one.

coyotebc
08-07-2010, 12:42 AM
i get what your saying now coyote , no your correct you cant pirate the backroads mapbook , make multiple copies from the one you download from the interweb. you can however sell your current gps and purchase a new gps and still use your sd card in the new one.
thanks that is what I thought

dog812
11-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I am really surprised noone has hacked this and offered it on torrents yet?

tonywtc
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I am really surprised noone has hacked this and offered it on torrents yet?

I've done it to my own personal copy so I could put it on a larger micro sd card. however I don't want to distribute it or i could get in trouble, and I would rather stay away from trouble.

I would tell you how I did it but I don't want to get kicked from huntingbc.ca for posting things like that in the FORUM. I am sure that the moderators wouldn't appreciate it if that kind of thing was posted publicly.

dawn2dusk
03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
this is neat but what would be really cool is if Garmin came out with a google earth card.

RayHill
03-31-2011, 12:23 AM
London Drugs has the Garmin 60cxmap GPS unit on sale this Friday to Wednesday FOR ONLY $199.00. This is a great GPS unit I bought it three years ago for $450. It can overlap your trail movements on Google Earth. Good deal for 200 dollars.

Buck
03-31-2011, 12:52 AM
London Drugs has the Garmin 60cxmap GPS unit on sale this Friday to Wednesday FOR ONLY $199.00. This is a great GPS unit I bought it three years ago for $450. It can overlap your trail movements on Google Earth. Good deal for 200 dollars.

I need to learn how to do that

Slinky Pickle
03-31-2011, 06:20 AM
I need to learn how to do that

The latest version of Garmin Map Source makes it very easy. Once you have the track downloaded onto Map Source you can just click the "view in Google Earth" button and it will load up Google Earth for you and show your track on it. Very handy!

tonywtc
03-31-2011, 06:53 AM
The latest version of Garmin Map Source makes it very easy. Once you have the track downloaded onto Map Source you can just click the "view in Google Earth" button and it will load up Google Earth for you and show your track on it. Very handy!

Thats funny, I have had mapsource for a long time never noticed that before..... I just went and looked... yup you can do that.... thats cool.

Piperdown
03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Does it come with an sd card or a say map for western Canada , if not how much are the cards?

Buck
03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
You will have to buy a copy of Garmin topo canada version 4 $80.00 to 100 bucks or Backroads version for $150.00.There is a very basic map in the unit and a Small sd card.

dog812
04-01-2011, 07:18 AM
This is 2011, there is no need to buy anything software related anymore.. Unless you want to support the company making the software.
I have 5 maps. Topo, backroads, city navigator north america, and both ibycus versions.
version 2.1 of the ibycus is better than version 3 for some reason.
Topo canada i was really un impressed with..
City navigator is the same as any driving gps you have, great for going out of bc or canada.
Backroads is the best map out there for sure.. I do support these guys, they have a great product... but still needs improvements aswell..
Their maps seem to have more POI then actual backroads... but its the best one so far

It is possible to have all the maps on one large card.
In your gps menu you can switch between different maps that are on the card.

stinger
04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Can anyone tell me why when I click on the view in Google earth tab to view the backroads map all I get is a big red X ?
Thanks

Piperdown
04-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Just picked up the topo chip for western canada, $82.00 from Trotac :)

bearhunter338-06
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 2350 for my Tracker (2500 air miles) it will take the SD card also, should be a good addition, looking forward to getting into some of the back country lakes. Thats if the snow go's away lol.

Jagermeister
04-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Earlier in this thread, someone asked about using Micros SD card in different GPS units.
If you are using a Backroads Micro SD card, you can take it out of one GPS and put it into another.
If you want to copy the card to another card, no can do.
If you want to copy from DVD to Micro card, then you can refer to these instructions.
"Do you want to put the maps on your own SD card?
If yes, then you will need to order the DVD version. This version allows you to load the maps with other maps onto your own SD card. If you have more than one GPS unit, then you will need to buy separate unlock codes since you cannot port your own SD card from unit to unit with the maps on them. Please note the DVD's are only Windows compatible at this time."

I have the DVD version of TOPO Canada ver2, and I can copy maps to cards at my discretion. I can have identical map cards for the GPS' I own.

dog812
04-08-2011, 07:12 AM
If you want to copy the card to another card, no can do.

When you buy the SD version and register it online, you get a link to download mapsource and a version for your PC. Then you can edit the maps, add other maps, etc.. and upload them to another sd card..
and as in everything else on the internet.. there is ways to "unlock" the cards.

I combined City navigator north america 2011.40 with backroads mapbook BC.. That way while in bc i have my usual map but if i go to the states or alberta i still have driving maps.

scembalf
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Do they make this for the bushnell onix thanks

Downwind
04-08-2011, 04:01 PM
No it only works in Garmin units.