PDA

View Full Version : Cut off any fish???

Sitkaspruce
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Out yesterday trying to scratch up another couple springs for the wife. The fishing has been slow, with a couple springs every trip in the box, not like it was last year.

Anyways, the top rod, w/the 4 oz's, 8" flasher and pink squirt gets hammered by a good spring and off it goes. It runs out into the deep water and I think great, I get the other lines in and start to chase to get on top of the fish. I notice one boat turns away and then another, so people can see us playing a fish. The fish is about 25-30 yards away and just running parallel along the surface. I get the net ready and look up to see a boat trolling right at us and the fish. I yell and two guys, both looking backwards, jump up out of their seats and look at us. One realizes what is going on, but reacts to slow and as we all know, the line suddenly goes slack. Cut Off:icon_frow

I yell at the two of them that someone should have been paying attention instead of both staring at the rods. One guy asks how long we have been playing the fish, I say 4-5 min, he shrugs and then says....

"I have been fishing for 25 years and this is only the second fish I have cut off"

WTF??????:shock: Second fish?????:confused:

and thats it, no sorry or any type of appology. He quickly turns the boat away and resets his gear.

I was mad, but the wife was pissed!!!!!!

and to finish the day, we ended up with three sockeye and three small teen springs, which were all released. The smiley was released by an asshole.:evil:

In 35 years of fishing, I have never cut off a fish, even in the crazy days at Cape Beal, before the outside was being fished.

Rant finished

So have you ever cut off or had a fish cut off, either accidently or delibertly???

Cheers

SS

NaStY
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Ive lost many fish too others but never have I lost there fish.

RJ
08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I absolutely hate fishing around other boats. People veering in and cutting you off, and purposely running you into the rocks. Much prefer open water, but there were no fish out there this weekend :icon_frow

ianwuzhere
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
thats crap- i had a lady drive up behind us while both of our downriggers were down 50+ feet. i sped up very fast while trolling and she still caught up to us-about 65 years old with 2 guys on boat as well.
-anyway, she caught both of our lines on the downrigger cable-fraying both of our lines, leaving very little line on our reels-about $30 to spool each reel. a guy on the boat untangles both of our lines and did not say a thing- i said things such as "wont let her drive the boat if she dont know how," etc, etc", the old lady shaked her head at us like it was our fault.
- its one of the things that makes u wanna rant for sure, 2nd time? that guy is clearly an idiot..
-if the guy on the boat said one word i didnt like, i would have donated every downrigger ball i had gladly to the side of their boat..-good thing we both had extra rods or our fishing trip would have been done....
-never had a fish cut off tho.. crappy to hear!
Rant done..

Moose Guide
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
we were trolling from a houseboat on Shuswap when some guy in a speed boat cut behind us, stripping all the line off a 5 year old girls rod! She had been battling a medium sized fish at the time and was heartbroken. When the speed boat stopped I asked if our hook was still tangled on their prop, they just looked sheepish and said no but offered no appology!
It was the only none sqaw fish we hooked that weekend:icon_frow

proguide66
08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
one thing I can NEVER understand is how most guys 'try' to ' troll out of the way' wich seems to take forever....RAISE YOUR EFFING BALLS !!!..my gawd , hit the damned button on each side...gets the gear outta the way in seconds...drop em when your past the guys line/fish...too easy.....especially when some DORK who just seems to stand with his hand on the tiller staring like he's daydreaming , looks like he might finally be in the way and cant hang a turn due to someone else tacking along his far side..again just raise the damned cannon balls....sheesh...:?

srupp
08-02-2010, 12:31 PM
yup that sucks..but try being cut off on a lake..now that takes serious like NOT PAYING ATTENTION..

Sorry you got snaked,,,but hopefullythe fishing holds in there for you...

Steven

ianwuzhere
08-02-2010, 01:22 PM
one thing I can NEVER understand is how most guys 'try' to ' troll out of the way' wich seems to take forever....RAISE YOUR EFFING BALLS !!!..my gawd , hit the damned button on each side...gets the gear outta the way in seconds...drop em when your past the guys line/fish...too easy.....especially when some DORK who just seems to stand with his hand on the tiller staring like he's daydreaming , looks like he might finally be in the way and cant hang a turn due to someone else tacking along his far side..again just raise the damned cannon balls....sheesh...:?

-we tried to "troll out of the way" and raising our cannon balls wouldnt do anything- our hooks were about 150 feet behind the boat-the persons lines quickly passed closer than that wrecking our lines on their downrigger cable...-i wish i had buttons on mine too sometimes:-D:-D. but ya if people are going for whatever reason to troll very close behind another boat and everyones using riggers-defintely bring up your balls...

Sitkaspruce
08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Proguide 66

I agree as your gear will not cut fish off, but your DR cable will. My cable is Braid Tuff XP 130 lbs, not sure how it would deal with mono, but don't plan to find out.

I will add that it was around 7 am and that there was few boats around (25-30), so lots of room. The guy did raise his ball closest to us, but not the other one and only after I yelled at them as both were looking back at their rods. 21' Campion with nobody driving......

I guess cutting off two fish is still OK in his books......

Cheers

SS

BlacktailStalker
08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah thats a piss off alright, especially on a good one.
He shoulda tossed you a flasher or something, dick head.
Never cut anyone off and never been cut off but I also have no problem letting guys know way ahead of time... "Clear the pooooooooooooooool!"
Slab on and everybody is going to know it :lol:

vanislehunter1
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I really don't get how people can do that! If there is someone fighting a fish we stay at LEAST 200ft away. It doesn't take much to stay away. Two weeks ago we had a guy drive behind us while we were fighting a fish, which was about 200ft out and right on the surface. I waved him to move but he kept coming closer until finally he moved. The worst part was that he was watching the whole time and there were only 5 boats.

ratherbefishin
08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
a few years back my brother in law witnessed a cut off-the guy was some ticked off,anyway-about a hour later his gear popped of the downrigger, and he knows he has a good fish on,so he carefully plays it-finally sees his gear-but no fish-but as he brings it in,sees the hook on his anchovey hooked into a tangled loop of line-so he carefully handlines in a 45 lb spring...tired but still strong.What are the chances of that?

Most guys break off and give you room,or pull their downriggers up in tight quarters but what REALLY makes me mad is guys who come OVER to look when you've got a good fish on-and to add insult to injury-WITH their gear down....other people don't realise a good spring can easily run out a couple of hundred yards of line right on the surface and don't give you enough room

longwalk
08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
A few years back a group of us were fishing in Zeballos. We we chartering with Zeballos expeditions. Daniel O'connor (the owner) was guiding the boat I was on and his nephew was running the other boat. We were all having a great time, when the nephew called over the radio to the boss man that a Washington state boat just cut off a big spring. Daniel told us to haul in the lines and the cannonballs and we were going to ram the U.S boat. We did as we were told and took off looking for them. A couple of minutes later his nephew called and said the U.S boat flagged them down and passed over a 42lb spring that was still wrapped aropund the down rigger cable and hand lined in I guess the owner had problems with ignorant people before and had enough. Great fishing trip though. I would charter with him again in a heartbeat.

08-02-2010, 07:23 PM
dont have 35 years of fishing. But was a guide for 7 and do fish alot.
and no ive never cut off as fish.

air horne gets attention fast

mark
08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
[quote=ratherbefishin;718479]a few years back my brother in law witnessed a cut off-the guy was some ticked off,anyway-about a hour later his gear popped of the downrigger, and he knows he has a good fish on,so he carefully plays it-finally sees his gear-but no fish-but as he brings it in,sees the hook on his anchovey hooked into a tangled loop of line-so he carefully handlines in a 45 lb spring...tired but still strong.What are the chances of that?

Fishing the fraser a few years back, I had a fish on but it didnt quite seem right????
After a while I see my weight and hook, has snagged a birdnest of line.
Lucky I had some leather gloves or would of had to cut it.....turns out that line had a sturgen hooked in the belly.....I hand pulled that sucker in, sideways, up the rivers currant!!!

Im sure he was happy to be released with that hook removed! :-D

Ive also seen a guy hook a line that had a rod attached at one end, and a 4 lb. rainbow at the other! :-D

springpin
08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I used to make annual trips to Cougar creek with my dad. Well, we were fishing right around Camel rock when I hook into a big Spring(32lbs). There was a Budwiser fishing boat running beside us, a decent ways out. They actually ran a knife along all their lines and dropped THEIR gear.
That was mighty good of them.

trigger
08-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Yeah thats a real piss off man but hey , thats fishing. Of course there could have been some things to prevent this but there are all sorts of people out there.
he should have at least appoligized. i can understand the frusteration.

sawmill
08-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Ferry Island in Terrace,Gong Show.100 guys fishing shoulder to shoulder and one guy hooks a spring,next thing you know EVERYBODY starts casting at his fish????????? Guy loses fish,guy loses mind ,fight starts.Me and my buddy float fishing and had an asshole show up and fling out a big lead wieght right in the middle of our run and stick his rod in a holder.Buddy whipped out his knife and cut the idiots line.The guy thought about getting mad but he saw the look in our eyes and moved on.Plus my buddy is 6 foot 6 and wieghs 260 pounds.

porcupine
08-03-2010, 09:18 AM
I was fishing in my club's derby last year when I hooked a big one. I have manual downriggers in a twelve foot boat and by the time I got both 'riggers up, the fish had 100 yards of line out. All the boats cleared except one who thought that he was far enough away. The fish got the line around both his 'riggers. When I saw that I back way off on the drag so there was minimal pressure on the line. The other boat stopped, raised both his lines and got me clear. Afterwards, I did land the 30 lb 13 oz spirng and won the derby. Instead of yelling at him, I went over with my boat and thanked him for at least stopping. It seems that I was the 3rd angler who he crossed lines with and we had a civil discussion on how to avoid other anglers. He was new to fishing and since then I have not seen him cut off another angler.

08-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I was fishing in my club's derby last year when I hooked a big one. I have manual downriggers in a twelve foot boat and by the time I got both 'riggers up, the fish had 100 yards of line out. All the boats cleared except one who thought that he was far enough away. The fish got the line around both his 'riggers. When I saw that I back way off on the drag so there was minimal pressure on the line. The other boat stopped, raised both his lines and got me clear. Afterwards, I did land the 30 lb 13 oz spirng and won the derby. Instead of yelling at him, I went over with my boat and thanked him for at least stopping. It seems that I was the 3rd angler who he crossed lines with and we had a civil discussion on how to avoid other anglers. He was new to fishing and since then I have not seen him cut off another angler.

Good on ya. Some times people are just ignorant in the true sense of the word. And if you help them they will learn how not to have it happen.
We were all rookies once.

Salty
08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
I hate fishing the crowds but when I do I find it handy to have a work boat style of boat to keep the idiots at bay. The 30 foot wood Sea Lion was a good one, the weekend warriors figured we were some kind of local comercial fishing gods or something and kept their distance. lol. And now I've just purchased a welded aluminum crew boat with a dint in every square inch of her complete with log spikes on the bow. I suspect I'll be on my own with that one too. It helps to swing the business end of a pipe pole around from time to time 2. :mrgreen:

Gateholio
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Thank Gawd we have the new Boaters Card. This will eliminate all the problems.:wink:

Onesock
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
A prudent move is to keep your boat between your fish and the other boat.

Sitkaspruce
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
A prudent move is to keep your boat between your fish and the other boat.

Oh, I was on top of the fish and was just coming around to stay on top when the boat appeared off our port bow and drove over the fish. It pretty hard to keep your boat between any boat and the fish when the fish swims along the surface and take out a 150 y of line in the first run. There are boats everywhere, all you can do is trust the others to see what is going on and move for you. This one I missed and obviously he did not care.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
08-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Come close on the chuck but never actually had it happen. Lost lots of gear in the Shuswap because of all the houseboaters and meatheads out there.

Slingshot is a multiple purpose tool.

Spy
08-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Ive had a couple anglers riding my ass! When they do I let them know they Are too close & if I get a fish on it will be in there gear & we will be sitting untangling gear while others are catching fish around us.They quickly get the message,they just need to be educated.:-D
We all had to learn,some of us just had better teachers then others,keep your eyes open & tight lines.:wink:

tbocking
08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
hey goat guy I dont even fish the shuswap between the may long and the sept long for that reason

Marbled Murrelet
08-05-2010, 11:51 PM
hey S.S.,

We're you fishing in Bamfield (you mentioned cape Beale), if so any decent reports? Sockeye?

its always unfortunate when people don't pay attention/respect the boat with a fish. Hopefully the fish gods with catch up with them!!

Thanks

Sitkaspruce
08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
hey S.S.,

We're you fishing in Bamfield (you mentioned cape Beale), if so any decent reports? Sockeye?

its always unfortunate when people don't pay attention/respect the boat with a fish. Hopefully the fish gods with catch up with them!!

Thanks

That was 20 years ago..........

back when there was no Big Bank/South bank etc fishery, so all the boats fished Beale.

Cheers

SS