PDA

View Full Version : Reg 2-6 Goat

Ron.C
08-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I had the opportunity to spend the past few days in the Whistler/Squamish area MU 2-6. I did some hiking and exploring. I saw a pair of black bears and several deer. I didn't make it up overly high but was wondering what is the mountain goat population like in this area. Can anyone provide some insight?

BearSniper
08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Here's a story...

About 10 years ago my cousins husband and a hunting partner went up in that region west of Squamish and south of Lake Lovely Water.

There's some pretty rugged peaks in there and if I'm right, it's still an open Goat region.

They were taken over by water taxi from Squamish and picked up 2 days later. This was in mid October so temps were a little cooler.

They bush whacked and climbed to the alpine and harvested a nice Goat.

As far as I know, there are still Goats up there and certainly enough for a GOS. This is in 2-5.

The regs state 2-6 has a closed area near Ashlu creek and Elaho river.

bandit
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
The closed area looks pretty big (and the most accessible areas too!) I guess it is to discourage the day hunters / weekend warriors. You would need to get a fair way into 2-6 to find goat IMO; I have never seen any goats there but havent actively been looking for them...

slyfox
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Good number,s in the area just start walking and looking i,ll be up there.