PDA

View Full Version : Common Snipe

Gus
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Does anyone ever hunt these things?

Sasquatch
08-01-2010, 10:21 PM
The dog has pointed them a couple of times, but I have never shot one.

I can imagine they're pretty tough to hit...fast birds with some very erratic flying.

Ian F.
08-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Chased them back east, very sporting birds.

Gus
08-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Are they any good to eat?

shotgunjohn
08-02-2010, 07:49 AM
The meat is quite strong tasting and a little tough. Would make a good "pot pie".

Ambush
08-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Very common bird in Ontario where I'm from. I've shot [at] lots and ate them. Kind'a like your goat, Gus. A ton of fun, but you sure wouldn't do it just for the meat. It would be like eating minature old spruce grouse.

Chuck
08-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I was very surprised to jump only one in all my years of grouse hunting in the W. Kootenays. After a few seconds - just long enough to identify it, it took off dodging through the poplar trees like a bullet. Impossible shot if unprepared for it. I'd thought they were only a US bird till then.

field marshal
08-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Actually I believe they are calling them Wilson's Snipe again!
I don't know what you guys are on about the little buggers are quite tastey???? Shot lots of them years ago, also shot AT lots of them :mrgreen:.
Used to come home from the snipe fields with a real mixed bag.
Snipe, Roosters, Ducks, Bandtails, and even the odd Willow.
I feel sorry for you young fella's. We'll never see those days again :cry:.
Too much PROGRESS happening now :confused:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

Chuck
08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I feel sorry for you young fella's. We'll never see those days again :cry:.
Too much PROGRESS happening now :confused:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

Isn't that the truth. I remember a time when we could take our guns and hunt birds where now I see only subdivisions, highways or some other development.

Gus
08-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds interesting. I was just curious as I was leafing through the regs and noticed there is a season for them. I know that season has been there for a while (since I started hunting anyway) but I dont actually no anyone who has hunted or killed any.
I have seen the odd one in my travels, but never paid much attention as to where or when. Dont know the first thing about hunting them. Are there even that many around the interior?

kyleklassen
08-02-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/scan0150.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13021&ppuser=10944)on the far right.cowichan bay.....k.k.

Ian F.
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Taste fine to me, very similar to woodcock, think duck...

Remember they are non-tox only bird! #7 steel is hard to find and doesn't carry far, go with 5' or 6's. If you are right near open water they aren't snipe! Snipe like damp ground around water, but not often right at it. They are more solitary then other peeps, onesy twoesy.

When you jump them, and then can be right under foot at times, they almost always let out an AWKKKKK then look for white bars along their backs, but if you aren't sure, don't pull the trigger! My favourite spots where the back marshes in the grass, salt or fresh and just walk around.

They are very highly regarded game in Europe, we pretty much ignore them here. Someday I hope to find them in a wet pasture as I've read about, that'll be some serious fun!

Ian

FlyFishBC
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
just saw two yesterday right outside home depot in burnaby where still creek forms a tiny mudflat, they let me get real close and since it was open i saw em right away, they dont fly far, so you may get another chance at a flighty bird. good identification key is the small body and large wings in flight, their droppings are very distinct, like those of the woodcock, very watery and loose, not much of the brownish green bulk like other birds. I imagine a pellet gun would be effective if you can spot the standing bird like i did, though shotguns are the norm. as far as bows and arrows, well i'd love to see some pics or footage of that because their so damn small!

Steelpulse
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Very similar to woodcock which I hunt lots of back home a thrill a minute with these guys I can tell you that much. I think the meat is great very rich very similar to liver if you like that

FlyFishBC
10-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I went back to the muddy flat outside the home depot in burnaby with my scope to watch the snipe and learn some habits, the place was pretty loaded with snipe, I looked around areas where i saw the distinctive droppings and noticed lots of holes that looked like a beak that was open, probing through the mud, this is a great indicator. once they see you they FREEZE right up, I was walking to a cattail patch up on the grass with a little mud and water in it and i had to do a double take to see the little bugger bedded down low, they are really camouflaged, and contradicting my previous statement, im sure one could be succsessful with a recurve nailing grounded birds with blunt arrows , im assuming they will stick in the mud. also, in areas with thick cattails or sedge, look at the water underneath for the constant ripples produced by wading birds, this way you can locate them before they know where you are and freeze on the spot