PDA

View Full Version : Looking for first bow

tikkat3
08-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey guys

I am a rifle hunter but am intrigued by bowhunting. I don't have a lot of cash but I do have a pistol I never shoot which I might sell on gunnutz and use that money to pick up a bow (probably around 400$)

I haven't shot a bow since I was a kid at camp, one of those fiberglass longbows.

You guys have any recommendations on a brand, or a draw weight, or style of bow? I'm pretty sure I want to hunt with a compound bow, but its gonna take me a couple of years of practice I'm sure before I even attempt hunting so I'm open to suggestions.

I'm 5'7", 165lb. Pretty strong for my size, but not big.

Also, is it true you guys see more animals as bow hunters than rifle hunters do, in your opinion? Even when you are hunting in rifle season? Just curious

Jehiah
08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I was fortunate enough to be in contact/shoot with really talented and veteran archers when I got started last spring. There are a lot of little but invaluable measurements/considerations to make when choosing your bow and accessories; thus, most will prefer you see someone at a local archery shop than rely completely on internet texting.

As for the hunting bit, I noticed RIGHT away that my hunting pattern/habbits changed when I picked up a bow. The difference is that with a bow you have to get close without the game seeing you whereas with a rifle you "just need to see the game".
When I rifle hunt I find that I revert to "push" techniqes and tend to not see them cause they hear me coming.

Bow Walker
08-01-2010, 03:25 PM
tikkat3 - since you live out that way, why not drop into Big Game Archery in Abbottsford and see what he has? The advantage to actually talking to a "bow-guy" is that he can answer all your questions right on the spot, plus you get to handle different bows.

If you can, I'd recommend getting a "package" deal, where you get pretty much everything you need to start shooting right away.

greybark
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
:-DHey T-3 , Ridgdale has a two day 3-d event 7& 8th . Stop by and look me up if ypu wish . You are welcome to go around with us .
Cheers

PS , be there around 8 ish .

tikkat3
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM
cool greybark, I might just do that, thanks for the invite

Trigun
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes talk to Wayne of Big game archery, he is a very experienced compound bow hunter and he carry trad bow as well, he can give you many good advise.

Edmond