PDA

View Full Version : cortland vs rio

valleycowboy
08-01-2010, 08:13 AM
well,after spending the last week in the mountains fishing,my old fly line needs to be retired(25 yrs old,LOL).i have been a cortland fan for years,but savas at trout waters mentioned swithing to RIO or scientific angler.i have tried scientific angler and prefer my cortland but i have never tried rio.
any good or bad info would help out.
ohhhh,i'm looking for a sinking line around a 5 weight for casting.

Fisher-Dude
08-01-2010, 09:00 AM
I've always preferred Scientific Anglers over Cortland. Personal preference I guess. Rio's prices are up to $175 per line on WSS website! :shock: Looks like there's margin for the salesman with prices that steep!

I'd stick with Cortland or SA myself.

springpin
08-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Cortland...Rio in my experience, holds Memory really bad. But I do use Scientific anglers.

valleycowboy
08-01-2010, 09:23 AM
the last couple lines i bought(cortland) were around the $60 mark.
lol,i can't see spending $175 for fly line.

kishman
08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I picked up a Rio Aqualux sinking line(4wt.) this spring, so far I really like it. Not much memory at all and a pleasure to cast, I don't think you'd be dissapointed with this one. This is my first Rio line, my last sinker was a Scientific Angler which I also liked very much, and it lasted for a loooonnng time. One feature I really like about the new line is the colour, the running line is translucent but the final 15 feet or so is totally clear. This gives me a great indication of how much line I still have in the water during the retrieve, and makes for a pretty stealthy set-up. Price-wise, if memory serves - was around $70 at Reaction Fly and Tackle here in Abbotsford. Good Fishing!!

-km

frenchbar
08-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Cortland for me!

pearljam
08-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I used RIO selective trout floating line this year. awesome line. I have always used Cortland before but thought I would try something different. I only paid $75 at WSS in the loops for it.

reach
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Another vote here for the Rio Aqualux. It's a great intermediate sink line. I have a floater from them too but it's not as good as the Aqualux - more memory.

krazy
08-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd stick with the Cortland. I too tried RIO on Trout Waters recommendation and I'm sorry I did. I found the Cortland to cast much better ... so much so that I have barley used the RIO and keep going back to my old beat up Cortland. I don't know why Trout Water is pushing the RIO so hard, perhaps the profit margin is bigger, but if I would have purchased it from a big box store I definatley would have returned it by now. I like Trout Water and I have spend a good chunk of change in their stores but that was one purchase I wish I could change cause the line is not cheap - I feel bad exchanging at the small shops though so I guess I'm stuck with it. OK sorry for the rant ... stick with the Cortland.

valleycowboy
08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
krazy-that's one hell of a good site you have.i just spent the last hour goin through it.very good info and definately some smokers being caught....looks like you are having a good year,lol.

thanx for the info guys.

showtimebc
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM
rio or sa...the cortland lines dont even come close to the new rio or sa line.

bigwhiteys
08-02-2010, 08:40 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=2411&type=sigpic&dateline=1280709004 flyguys.net

Cool site Krazy... I especially liked the Johnny pics... He's got a good sense of humor. Bahahahaha.... I am going to put your link on my hunting site.

Carl

000buck
08-02-2010, 10:09 AM
well the best advise is not to stray from what you are used to......

krazy
08-02-2010, 05:25 PM
krazy-that's one hell of a good site you have.i just spent the last hour goin through it.very good info and definately some smokers being caught....looks like you are having a good year,lol.

Cool site Krazy... I especially liked the Johnny pics... He's got a good sense of humor. Bahahahaha.... I am going to put your link on my hunting site. Carl

Thanks guys! Glad you like it! We're always adding so stop by often and tell your friends! :)

If anyone is inclined to share a fishing tale or two there is a "submit your story" section on the right sidebar of the blog or you can just email me with any pics/stories and we'd be glad to include them on the site! Also always open to ideas for new categories & topics that might be of interest.

Hey Carl what's the name of your site so I can check it out?

sakofinnlight
08-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Personally STAY AWAY from cortland. The cortland 444 was by far the top of the line way back when, now its rio and sa that have the better lines by far. for instance when I spool up a customers line with cortland and lay it out first it is already filled with memory (and that is with it wrapped losely on a big plastic spool) put that line on your reel then try and cast it, doesnt work very great. From what I have seen the most expensive rio line at wws is 75 bucks other than getting a spey versitip line which is 175. Cortland recently came out with a new line that wss now stalks and is starts at 80 bucks, crazy i could never spend 50 on a cortland nevermind even more than any other rio product. I recently purchased a sa sharksin and wow do I ever love it. Slickest shooting line I have owned as of yet, no memory what so ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Scientific Anglers has always been reliable and consistant with a quality product IMO.
That is a good site Krazy, nice work :cool:

guywitha270
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I too used to really like Cortland. Been fishing a Rio Grande for 5 years now and it's awesome. Still works like the first day I bought it. Plus I really like the loop feature to attach your leader.

bigwhiteys
08-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey Carl what's the name of your site so I can check it out?
http://www.bchuntingblog.com - I have added your link on the right hand side, under the "BC Outdoor Websites".

Carl