PDA

View Full Version : "Labrador Method" for feild dressing, moose,elk, deer etc ?

elkdom
07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Well its getting real close to moose elk and deer season, there are scores of well "seasoned moose.elk and deer hunters" on here regularly every day,,,

there are also scads of newbies venturing out to make their "first kill",

so I am curios how many seasoned moose,elk and deer hunters use the "Labrador Method" to field dress their big game?

"Labrador Method"( stand on the front legs, grab the back legs and pull hard)
leaving you with several hundred pounds nice clean, boneless meat, and the fur/hide. bones and guts all comes off with the hind legs!:wink:

mark
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Would be nice to have a youtube link for this one! :rolleyes:

I use it for grouse! :-D

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 10:44 PM
The hulkster (hogan) could do it, just need to be real strong ...

elkdom
07-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Would be nice to have a youtube link for this one! :rolleyes:

I use it for grouse! :-D

is about time you tried that on something your own size!:eek:

Chuck
07-31-2010, 10:57 PM
A Friday joke...right?

elkdom
07-31-2010, 10:59 PM
A Friday joke...right?

no joke! its Saturday!

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't forget it's BC Day on Moonday lol .. again how duz dat make you feel lol

elkdom
07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
Don't forget it's BC Day on Moonday lol .. again how duz dat make you feel lol
I think I will go shopping in GP Alberta, save the HST you know!:wink:

its the least I can do for Gordo Dorko on BC Day!:mrgreen:

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Why would you spend your BC loonies and toonies in Alboydeee?
Jel .. Makes cent$ don't it? Take care of the pennies the dollars take care of themselve$ lol
BC Day not Alborty gordie

elkdom
07-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Why would you spend your BC loonies and toonies in Alboydeee?
Jel .. Makes cent$ don't it? Take care of the pennies the dollars take care of themselve$ lol
BC Day not Alborty gordie

gas .85 peenees per leeter in "Alboydeee"

gas $1.09 a leeter in Gordo 'S lander BC

meens I travel for free you see,,

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Your going to spend dollars to drive there to get gas so you can get back lol and fill up here after driving from there? lol makes complete cents. lol

elkdom
07-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Your going to spend dollars to drive there to get gas so you can get back lol and fill up here after driving from there? lol makes complete cents. lol
actually I have a company Chev 4x4, 24/7and a no limit company travel expense acc't, but I will still fill up with aberdah gas for .85 peenees per leeter...

gonzo gordo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 11:36 PM
maybe you'll see him there too lol

elkdom
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
maybe you'll see him there too lol

well he( gordo) sure as hell isnt welcome in Dawson Creek!:evil:

Jelvis
07-31-2010, 11:39 PM
No Alborto not Dawson Construction I mean Creek ..

Bear Chaser
08-01-2010, 12:11 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a serious discussion about field dressing game animals. Instead it has degenerated into an arguement over the merits of cross border shopping and Gordo's ever increasing popularity with people who are watching for hell to freeze over so they can vote NDP.
Let's get back on topic.
I've heard in order to be properly executed the Labrador requires stout trees, lots of rope, minimum three supervisors with beer in hand and a lifted, chipped diesel truck with stupid fat tires and exhaust upgrades. Did I miss anything?

moosinaround
08-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Elkdom. I have heard of this method from a Newfie friend of mine. He says it wastes the meat around the knuckles and legs?? He also says he has to pull like hell to get it started?? Anyways he has some newftube footage of it somewhere!!:wink: Moosin

ytlogger
08-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Well its getting real close to moose elk and deer season, there are scores of well "seasoned moose.elk and deer hunters" on here regularly every day,,,

there are also scads of newbies venturing out to make their "first kill",

so I am curios how many seasoned moose,elk and deer hunters use the "Labrador Method" to field dress their big game?

"Labrador Method"( stand on the front legs, grab the back legs and pull hard)
leaving you with several hundred pounds nice clean, boneless meat, and the fur/hide. bones and guts all comes off with the hind legs!:wink:

What are the best boots to wear for this exercise?

sawmill
08-01-2010, 07:24 AM
The Christmas Cracker way.No B.S.,I`ve done this.You got a moose down and realize how friggen BIG they are to gut by yourself.
Tye the head to a tree,the back legs to the bumper of the truck,cut all the way around it just behing the rib cage,chop through the spine quick with a hatchet and then DRIVE!Pops him open like nothing,go back and cut off the guts at either end and you got him ready to transport.:mrgreen:

luckynuts
08-01-2010, 07:34 AM
WTF? I guess if you drop him on the road and have a couple of trees there ready for ya? 15 mins to gut a moose by yourself. Turn his head roll him gut him. Cut him between 3&4 rib use saw for spine or sturdy knife. Buck off legs at knees and buck off head. load him in quad trail both halves drive to camp. 20-25 mins to get him ready before loading him in. I ain't a big guy so I know most of you could do it:wink:. Take him back to camp, hang skin and quarter and put in the cooler:-D then crack a beer.

W.

sparkes3
08-01-2010, 07:49 AM
you said it

Squamch
08-01-2010, 08:19 AM
WTF? I guess if you drop him on the road and have a couple of trees there ready for ya? 15 mins to gut a moose by yourself. Turn his head roll him gut him. Cut him between 3&4 rib use saw for spine or sturdy knife. Buck off legs at knees and buck off head. load him in quad trail both halves drive to camp. 20-25 mins to get him ready before loading him in. I ain't a big guy so I know most of you could do it:wink:. Take him back to camp, hang skin and quarter and put in the cooler:-D then crack a beer.

W.

I'm going to be so dissapointed with myself if I shoot a moose and it takes more than an hour to get it back to my camp.

Chuck
08-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Sounds to me like there's some wool being pulled here....

I've downed moose by myself in the bush, and as previously stated - they are way too big to deal with when alone. Just flipping it over to gut is a major problem if it's away from any trees or shrubbery to tie it down to.

I've spent two days and camped beside it before I got it out to the road piece by piece and that was a mile away through tight bush.

I gave up bush hunting moose by myself years ago after the wife gave me a thorough tongue lashing. Deer.....now that's doable for one guy. I still hate road hunting, but can see the obvious advantages. Lol.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I am willing to bet his truck can go further than 90 kms on a tank of fuel

sawmill
08-02-2010, 06:38 AM

W.
Well you must be superman.Or else you shoot dwarf moose.Ever try to roll a thousand pound animal by yourself?I would bet you $1000 you can`t get him done and loaded in 20 minutes.Alone.
I have been shooting moose since I was 12 years old,don`t teach yer Grampa how to dance.

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2010, 06:48 AM
...a lifted, chipped diesel truck with stupid fat tires and exhaust upgrades.

So you have to call a local drug dealer with a black F350?

elkdom
08-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Well you must be superman.Or else you shoot dwarf moose.Ever try to roll a thousand pound animal by yourself?I would bet you $1000 you can`t get him done and loaded in 20 minutes.Alone.
I have been shooting moose since I was 12 years old,don`t teach yer Grampa how to dance.
that sounds like a lot of work,,,:-|

just pulling the whole thing kinda inside out sounds like the easiest way to "get-er-done" to me!;)

elkdom
08-02-2010, 06:55 AM
So you have to call a local drug dealer with a black F350?

actually the town (DC) has about 30 drugs dealers driving chipped up, jacked up, pimped up $100,000 diesel trucks,,,,:evil:

very few of them around when you want to slide a moose inside-out though:?

luckynuts
08-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Maybe you should reread the post. I said 20-25 mins to get him ready to load into the quad trailer. I will admit there have been a couple that fell in not so conveinant places. And my first few like everyone else's were long, hard and messy. Again this is with experience now. Start with his head turn it so you have begun to turn the body go to front shoulder push it over as far as you can jam a rock/log under top of his shoulder grab hind legs finish turning him. Sometimes you may need to rope off a leg or jam a pc of wood on the opposite side shoulder. I will be doing it by myself again this year, er I will have my 10yr old with me. I know guys that load a whole moose in the back of their truck by themselves, it's all in the technique. Guess gramps always had a party of five with him:wink: