PDA

View Full Version : Grouse, and the grousing grouse they grouse.

CurryNV
07-31-2010, 09:09 PM
I love "hunting" Grouse. Can't get enough of it. I've postponed major events in my life just so I can go Grouse hunting. A few issues whit an otherwise healthy addiction... One; Anybody know of any good recipes? I've heard the old adage that "a Grouse is only as good as the sauce you cook it in", but I know there's got to be more to it than just that. Second question... I've been hunting for a whole two seasons. Used to hunt as a kid down south, but only recently got back in to it. I still use my .410. I live near Squamish and the Elaho valley. Anybody know of anywhere better to shoot these gallinaceous delights?

By the way, great article in the new BC Outdoors, Othmar...

pg83
07-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Look up a beer-can chicken recipe and substitute chicken with grouse!

PointMan
07-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Also, to switch things up a bit, grouse is like red meat not poultry, so you can cook it like you would your steak, rare, medium rare, whatever. Don't take my word for it, look it up. I once was forced to spend a VERY COLD night in the bush and ended up cooking diced grouse and oatmeal in a Tim Hortons cup! YUMMMYYY! My wife and a few others don't seem to share in my sense of culinary adventure though. LOL

Chuck
07-31-2010, 11:09 PM
We are so lucky aren't we? In some countries it's meant only for the aristocracy and their gold plated triggers.

Personally, I do enjoy the natural flavors of such as these, and choose not to detract with more common garden additives.

300H&H
08-01-2010, 09:57 AM
"Grouse, and grousing grouse they grouse"....sounds like a "Jellyism" too me.

goatdancer
08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Brown it and then cook it it in cream of mushroom soup. Serve with kernel corn and mashed potatoes. Yummy.

Squamch
08-02-2010, 08:51 AM
Wrap it in bacon, wrap that in tinfoil, bury in the coals for half an hourish...then dig up, unwrap, and eat. When we shoot a grouse, we stop right there and cook 'er up.

r106
08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Brown it and then cook it it in cream of mushroom soup. Serve with kernel corn and mashed potatoes. Yummy.

If i'm at home, seer it good on both sides then take it out of the pan, pour about 2 ounces of captain morgans spiced rum in the hot pan add some chicken stock and 1\2 a can of cream of mushroom soup and a little sweat chilly sauce. give it a good stir. Put the grouse or chicken back in the pan with everything else and put it in the oven till done. Make with rice and pour the sauce over rice.. yum yum

In the bush just cream of mushroom soup and some sweat cilly sauce salt and pepper
________
Hawaii marijuana dispensaries (http://hawaii.dispensaries.org/)