PDA

View Full Version : The tradition is alive (old pictures)

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I was showing my grandpa pictures of this years bear. He dug up an old picture of his first bear. He was very proud of this bear as it had been killing their dairy cows. Does anyone else have old pics?
I would really like to know what kind of gun he was using so if anyone is an expert and can tell that would be awesome.

Moose Guide
07-31-2010, 06:19 PM
looks like a military mauser, make the pic bigger if you can

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
looks like a military mauser, make the pic bigger if you can

I posted a slightly closer pic. I'm not sure how to make it bigger then that. Thanks for the guess.

blackwater
07-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Looks like a M1905 Ross, which would be a .303....I do believe the picture has been flipped, as the bolt is showing on the left side, instead of the right as is the external magazine latch....tried to throw the old curve ball at the gun nuts hey?

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Looks like a M1905 Ross, which would be a .303....I do believe the picture has been flipped, as the bolt is showing on the left side, instead of the right as is the external magazine latch....tried to throw the old curve ball at the gun nuts hey?

Lol yeah thanks for your help. I guess I need to start searching!

blackwater
07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Should have no trouble finding info on the Ross. It's tough to tell, but your picture looks like it has a peep sight. The one my grandpa had (still in the family) was fully sporterized, but no peep. I packed it one hunt when I was 16, but never shot anything. I hear they were pretty accurate.

knighthunter
07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
My guess is 30-40 Krag.

Ruger4
07-31-2010, 08:46 PM
gotta love those old photos :mrgreen:

d6dan
07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
I believe its says Giscome on the pic.. I wonder if Grandad knows canuckshooter??.. Cool pic by the way wunderboy..

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 08:51 PM
Should have no trouble finding info on the Ross. It's tough to tell, but your picture looks like it has a peep sight. The one my grandpa had (still in the family) was fully sporterized, but no peep. I packed it one hunt when I was 16, but never shot anything. I hear they were pretty accurate.

Looking at pictures online it does seem to be 1905 ross. I also agree that the picture has been flipped. I can't find one online that has a peep sight but it does appear to have something there in the picture.

dougal
07-31-2010, 08:55 PM
I would have to agree that its a Ross They have a similar action as the lee Enfield but have a one piece stock as the Enfield has a fore/rear stock assembly.
even so they all looked similar back then it could be a Mauser/Krag
since the stock was cut down and it it kinda small "pic"
good looking bear though and a great family heritage you should have a similar pic of you with yours in grey scale and do up a two pic frame side by each like, for a nice addition to any mans office "garage"
oh how crafty

Moose Guide
07-31-2010, 08:56 PM

I think you are right, it is probably a Ross, they even show one with a peep sight!! I went through my military book and it definately is not a Krag or Mauser !

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
I believe its says Giscome on the pic.. I wonder if Grandad knows canuckshooter??.. Cool pic by the way wunderboy..

It might be better ask canuckshooter as grandpa's memory is not great these days. Still the toughest SOB around though. His name is Wilf Wunderlich and the photo was taken in 1942

wunderboy
07-31-2010, 09:00 PM
I would have to agree that its a Ross They have a similar action as the lee Enfield but have a one piece stock as the Enfield has a fore/rear stock assembly.
even so they all looked similar back then it could be a Mauser/Krag
since the stock was cut down and it it kinda small "pic"
good looking bear though and a great family heritage you should have a similar pic of you with yours in grey scale and do up a two pic frame side by each like, for a nice addition to any mans office "garage"
oh how crafty

I would love to but my bear is now sausage. Next years for sure.

Spuddge
08-01-2010, 08:21 AM
I've posted these before but hey why not again! Here's one of my dad from the sixties.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dads_Bear_1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8036&perpage=18&ppuser=4926)
I'm not sure of the details on this one, I found it in my grandpa's stuff when he died.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Cougar1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8035&perpage=18&ppuser=4926)
I love this one of my dad in the back yard in downtown Port Moody with a raccoon he'd just shot , notice he's still holding the pistol. Those days are long gone.:(
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Dads_Coon.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8038&perpage=18&ppuser=4926)

buckguy
08-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Cool photo. I love looking at the old photos, and to have the stories to go with them is a huge bonus. Good to see the comparrisons compared to today's hunters.

dougal
08-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm going to have to get copies of my grandpas old pic`s, start a heritage album, it would be kinda neat to have I guess.

Darksith
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I was showing my grandpa pictures of this years bear. He dug up an old picture of his first bear. He was very proud of this bear as it had been killing their dairy cows. Does anyone else have old pics?
I would really like to know what kind of gun he was using so if anyone is an expert and can tell that would be awesome.

I don't think that bear was killing any cows, but nice pic.

wunderboy
08-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't think that bear was killing any cows, but nice pic.

ballsy move calling my grandpa and liar. Lol. I thought the same thing when I saw the picture. I wonder if over the years that bear went from being around the farm to killing chickens to killing cows. Next year I'm sure it will have been about to kill his brother and grandpa came and saved the day. Hunting stories are awesome!

wunderboy
08-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm going to have to get copies of my grandpas old pic`s, start a heritage album, it would be kinda neat to have I guess.

My new goal is to get grandpa's pics and get the same animal with the same type of rifle and sights. Then to take similar pictures like you suggested before. Gun shopping will be interesting because right now I only have his model winchester 1902 22LR. The rest of his guns have been sold or spilt up amongst my uncles.

dougal
08-01-2010, 04:37 PM
my grandpa and his brother had to kill a black bear that was killing there pigs and afterwards his brother killed the dog that was supposed to be guarding the barn. just the way it was back then

338 winmag
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Love old photos, this picture was taken at Lousana Alberta 1927. My grandfather is on the left , he had the moose mounted and although its not in real great shape I still have it in my shed. The 300 Savage is at my brother's place.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/redmtn/P7180016.jpg