PDA

View Full Version : help looking for deer

aaronfisher
07-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Greatings everyone! I'm a amature hunter with about 3 seasons experience under my belt and all I have to show for it is about 30 grouse. My traditional hunting grounds are 6-3, 6-8, 6-9, 6-11, 6-14, 6-15 and 6-30. i don't normally head east of Smithers and south past Kitimat.

I'm using softwear from Garmin like Mapsorce Topo Canada and Backroads Mapbook. I've narrowed the area for spring black bears to about a 80 square km area...but would like to be guided into a area that I can look for mule deer. I think that the work channel area in 6-14 might be good, but I don't want to head into an area where no one has had any luck.

Any suggestions?

shed-hunter1
07-31-2010, 05:06 PM
get out and start hiking youll find them

Moose Guide
07-31-2010, 06:01 PM
If you get into reg. 4 give me a call and you can tag along for a hunt or 2, we don't have many mulies in my area but we have a fair crop of whitetails!

dougal
07-31-2010, 08:57 PM
the best advice is always to go for a loooong drive the worst that happens is you spend a day in the bush

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
thanks alot Moose Guide i may some day take you up on that offer and ill be going for a quad ride into unknow to me areas on monday and next saturday if i see anything ill gps it

BCJunior
08-01-2010, 02:40 AM
deer are easy, does of course. all you gotta do is hit up the logging roads im oct-nov. its a guarantee. now if ya want the big fellas i highly suggest lookin deep into the trees and waiting around for abit. you will see a tank

sawmill
08-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Kispiox Valley,Susquaw FSR,Quick backroad,Walcott road.

25tikka
08-01-2010, 07:36 AM
I have been going up work channel for several years as there is a lake up there we take the kids swimming, and have only seen 1 deer and 1 blackbear. Its only a bit farther to the ferry landing. Take the big boat to the charlottes and get a bunch of the deer there. Its not a stretch to see 100 or more in a day. Ive also seen a few deer north of Smithers on the road that cuts up to Granisle. Also see them near Kitwanga.

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 10:28 AM
call be bit of a idiot but im having a hard time finding Susquaw FSR,Quick backroad,Walcott road, sawmill what towns are they near, and 25tikka me and a buddy are planing a 10 day trip to the chalottes in 2 years im more looking for somewhere i can hunt over the weekend thats why im not going past smithers

Gunner Staal
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I lived in Prince Rupert for 5 years very recently and saw 3 mule deer in the area between Rupert and Terrace the entire time I was there. Towards Rupert is full of those native blacktail looking weirdo deer. The deer in Rupert are actually a separate species native only to Kaien Island. The area outside of Port Edward has a few but if your looking for cranker mulie spots I would keep heading East past Smithers. No if its blackbear you want......Copper River Road just outside Terrace on the East side of town.....drive it in May and you will have your bear. Guaruntee.

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
well i live on the copper river road and since i moved here last spring ive only seen 1 bear i normaly go up to dragon lake and jackpine mountain area for bears, oh and sawmill i've looked a lil harder and i've found quick

Gunner Staal
08-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Not sure what to tell you then. Ive driven the copper and seen over 20 bears on one quick drive. Took a few out of there. That whole area is polluted with bears in the spring.

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 11:08 AM
well ive a ton of bear poop but only 1 bear unless they hear my commin

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
how can i tell oldish deer poop from moose poop?

oldtimer
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
how can i tell oldish deer poop from moose poop?

Not hard to tell when you think about it. The deer will weigh in at 200 to 300 for a big one. The moose will weigh in at 500 to 600 for medium size. their scat will correspond to their size. Huge difference. Think of BIG chocolate covered Almonds to small peanuts. :) Mike

aaronfisher
08-01-2010, 11:46 AM
thanks Mike i tryed lookin up pics on google with no real luck

bearhunter338-06
08-01-2010, 11:59 AM
If you get into reg. 4 give me a call and you can tag along for a hunt or 2, we don't have many mulies in my area but we have a fair crop of whitetails!

You never know I might just knock on your door sometime this year, to collect my "ELK".......LOL

bearhunter338-06
08-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I have never hunted in the areas you mentioned but I would suggest getting to know a few of the ranchers in the area. You would be able to get some good hunting out of the hay fields. You will find most of the ranchers will be more then helpful in steering in the right direction.

My buddy in Dawson Creek now has permition now for us to hunt on several thousands of acores of land in both B.C. and Alberta

Jelvis
08-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Best bet out of those MU's you picked for deer is MU 6-9 Houston south .. Mule deer.
McKilligan
Dungate
Buck Flats
Morice
Barrett Station

hunter1947
08-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Get out into this area and scout everywhere you will find..

sawmill
08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
call be bit of a idiot but im having a hard time finding Susquaw FSR,Quick backroad,Walcott road, sawmill what towns are they near, and 25tikka me and a buddy are planing a 10 day trip to the chalottes in 2 years im more looking for somewhere i can hunt over the weekend thats why im not going past smithers
Hazelton,Smithers,Telkwa.Morricetown.

Ltbullken
08-02-2010, 08:34 AM
I've hunted the Skeena area for a few years. Hardly ever saw a deer in there. Great for moose and taken a few out of there! In fact, never saw any deer - don't think it is very good deer habitat IMHO. The exception was around Smithers/Bulkley River area - saw tons o' deer there!

aaronfisher
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks everyone for your help ive now got lots of places to start looking and i will post if i bag anything