PDA

View Full Version : Saanich inlet...

ratherbefishin
07-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Does anybody still fish Saanich inlet?-I grew up fishing there,you could fish any day of the year there was always a place you find even when the wind was blowing.Used to be ''bluebacks'' in abundance and some good coho fishing .We got some nice springs too-Peetz rods, wire line and planers....back before downriggers

johnes50
07-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Last time I went all we got was slimey lines from the monster jellyfish. The prawning used to be good, but haven't tried lately.

Bow Walker
07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Every time I go over the "Hat" I see boats out there, trolling around. Don't know how they're making out but the fact that they are there suggests that something is down there.

porcupine
07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
One of the Sidney Anglers derbies was won this year with a 24 lb spring from near Bamberton. There have been good herring runs the last few years. Not many people fish it, but the fish are still there at times.

ratherbefishin
08-01-2010, 06:30 AM
yes, I remember bamberton was one of the spots we fished-but without depth sounders the reefs were decorated with lead.My uncle[Bert Simpson] kept his boat at the Anchorage and generally started fishing right in Brentwood bay, around Willis point and on down to McKenzie bay and back.Jimmy Gilbert guided there for years.Bucktailing for big fall coho was popular.I wonder if Saanich inlet will ever come back?It would be perfect for a pen raised pink salmon fun fishery.Given the big fall run in Goldstream for chums,I wonder if they could develop a fishery for them like they have up at Campbell River?

porcupine
08-01-2010, 08:42 AM
They have a pen raised Pink salmon program now in Cowichan Bay. The fishing is probably coming back, prawning and crabbing is good, but the locals keep talk of it very quiet and there are restrictions part of the year.

ratherbefishin
08-01-2010, 09:05 AM
yes,I have heard they have pen raided pinks in Cowichan-is this the first year they come back?-and I wonder how far they will range-down in Saanich inlet?It would make a great recreational fishery with the sheltered waters.if I remember correctly-the inlet springs were ''white ''springs

johnes50
08-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Glad to see Saanich Inlets coming back, we just gave up on it a few years back. It's a nice protected place to fish.

ratherbefishin
08-01-2010, 10:11 AM
With such a natural resource like that,I don't know why brentwood doesn't promote fishing and kayaking tourism ,its perfect with its protected waters