PDA

View Full Version : never heard of this before...

srupp
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
I was visiting around the campfire on the Skeena river with a couple families from Alberta and Prince George and heard a strange encounter with the Conservation Officers at a game check last fall..

They came out with an elk bull elk and a STONE SHEEP..stone sheep was 44 inches on one side and the other side was busted off 6 inches shorter however sounds like a cranker ram..

Anyhow they get to a game check somewhere in the north and there are several c/o's and the guy who shot the sheep is of course asked for his license...which he produces..after a few moments the C/O asks him to wait a moment and goes and showes the license to a much older obviously senior C/O..he comes back and apparantly says "well you got 75 % of the license filled out correctly, HOWEVER you did not complete the license..as you did NOT notch out antlered or anlerless " " Its the only way to show wheather its a male or female " The guys asks him " what about bears they dont have antlers either,(sheep dont have antlers but HORNS..A BIG DIFFERENCE )do we cancell the antler or antlerless part also..."YES , Said the senior C/O....

And apparantly he had him NOTCH HIS LICENSE AND THE senior c/o initalled the license..:confused:...

The guy who shot the sheep is from Prince George..and he and his Brother are TAXIDERMISTS..I think his brother does it P/T??FULLLTIME???..

I myself cant see it cuz neither a bear nor a sheep has antlers...by legal definition so appears to be a non starter..however I wasnt about to say B/S either as I wasnt there....

things that make you say HMMMMMM??????????

Steven

Wild Images
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
We have never cut this out and never been called on it, had rams inspected at Fort Nelson by the co and nothing was said.

Steven your elk hide is on the way :-D

BlacktailStalker
07-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I call b.s and if it isn't they need to revise the definition of an antler and what they teach you in the CORE.
Just because one holds a title, like "CO" does not mean one isn't an idiot.
Another example, RCMP and firearm transportation issues.

07-30-2010, 12:29 PM
If to them horn is the same thing as antler then a female sheep would also be considered "antlered" because it has horns, would it not?
So their argument doesn't make logical sense.

srupp
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM
lol I never said I agreed with it jsut one of the strangest stories and "events" I have ever heard of..

Srr

THANKS on the elk hair ..more caddis flies...

Steven

mark
07-30-2010, 10:41 PM
That guy was either yanking yer chain, or them CO's were all ******ed!
Maybe he was on candid camera???
So do we got to cut that for goats also???? :roll:

Spokerider
07-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Sounds like they were looking to fill thier infraction quota........and didn`t quite have enough rope to lynch the guy.

Fisher-Dude
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Usually in situations like this, you're getting the one half of the story that the perp wants you to hear. When you speak to the CO, you'll probably hear about the 24 empty beer tins scattered around, the loaded gun in the truck, the failure to remove edible portions, the harvesting of the animal in a closed area, etc that formed the other tickets these guys got.

The CO will throw the book at them, then stay the "chintzy" tickets in court to make the serious charges stick with a guilty plea. I've been on far too many CO ride-alongs to take the story from the law breakers at face value. :wink:

srupp
07-31-2010, 01:04 PM
hmmmm they didnt get any tickets..so they say...just a education on how to correctly fill out their tags...

Steven

peashooter
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM
So fill out antlerless for bears, goats, and sheep. Simple Simon done deal.

Kitimat Killer
08-01-2010, 09:33 PM
thats ok i had an incident one time i was traveling to smithers had my limet of springs and two halibuts plus two pinks so my limets of traveling were good went through a road block fisheries stopped me and pulled me aside ask to see my licence ok no prob i know the regs well and im all good with that.So here we go he asks me to pull my fish out to see them Ok no prob i pull out the two springs and pinks first then out come the halibut the one officer says what am i doing with a steelhead as they are closed in all of bc exept the kitimat where your aloud to keep 10 thats not the point i did not have a steelhead i had two small springs so i told him that it was not a steelhead and it was a spring so there i was on the side of the road stuck with this officer that would not believe me that it was a spring. it was starting to get bad on the road i told him he should ask his partner that was busy with other ppl to tell him what kind of fish this was and should learn his fish identifacation on salmon since he was a fish officer finally after about half an hour of sitting on the side of the road the other officer came by and looked at both fish and said yup those are spring. Looks at my are your tags all marked i said yup ok you can go so sorry for the delay. I told him that his partner needs to learn his fish or pick a diff job thinks his big cuz he has a gun and took a course but has no clue what he was doing.

just my two cents and just cuz its there job does not mean they know what they were talking about

kk

landphil
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Look on the back of every species license in your booklet - it gives very clear (english) instructions on how to cancel your tag:

Cut out and completely remove the applicable notches on the edge of the license to denote:
1)Day of kill
2)Month of kill
3)Region of kill
4)Whether a deer, elk, or moose, antlered or antlerless.

Warning
License alteration and/or improper cancellation can lead to prosecution
Pre-cancellation - partial cancellation - Over cancellation are all considered to be improper cancellation.

I highly doubt a CO would hassle you for cutting antlerless on a black bear for example, but to follow the letter of the law to the "T", do not cut unless it is a deer, elk, or moose species license. Pretty simple, and I'd gladly flip the page to show any peace officer the truth.:wink: Sound like a story to me, or it was the elk tag in question.