PDA

View Full Version : My boy got a rifle!

Buckmeister
07-30-2010, 11:06 AM
This last spring my youngest son turned 12 and promptly went out and took his C.O.R.E. training. Since then he has been chomping at the bit to go and purchase a rifle. (He has been saving up his money).
A few weeks back we found one at gun show. It's a BSA Majestic Deluxe Featherweight in a .243 caliber. It came with a fairly new, but cheaper bushnell scope and the whole thing is in beautiful condition. We showed it to a friend of ours and he asked, "Is that a brand new gun?", which made me happy cause this rifle is about 50 years old. It's lightweight (about 6 1/2 pounds without scope) and it shoots flat. I think this will be a great starting rifle for my son.
I can't wait to go hunting with it.....uh.....I mean.....HE can't wait to go hunting with it. ;-)

07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
NICE WORK!
Kid shot it yet? ive herd them featherweights can kick.
never shot one though.

good luck this year! Im sure it will be like nothing else watching your son shoot his first deer

07-30-2010, 11:35 AM
NICE WORK!
Kid shot it yet? ive herd them featherweights can kick.
never shot one though.

good luck this year! Im sure it will be like nothing else watching your son shoot his first deer

Not in .243 Win. they don't. Plus it is easy to come up with an effective mild load. The Barnes 80gr TTSX BT, 85gr TSX BT and Nosler's 85gr Partition come to mind.

Congrats to the young man, hopefully he will be able to bag something with it this fall.

bsa30-06
07-30-2010, 06:00 PM
I have a featherwieght in 30-06 great shooter,and super light.Kick has never been a problem.Im sure your son has a rifle that he can take game with for many many years.

Buckmeister
07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Yep, he has put a few rounds through it so as to get a feel for it. It's the biggest thing he has ever shot and he says the kick from this gun doesn't bother him.
Lots of mule deer out our back door so he shouldn't have any problem connecting on one. I can't wait to see him do it. I wonder how he will react to field dressing his first deer???

Surrey Boy
07-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Good job. Point out the organs to him as he guts his first kill; it's educational that way.

longstonec
07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I have one in 30-06 and have never had a problem. BUT, a family friend who has been a big game guide since before I could walk says you need to be very careful with them because sometimes the "saftey" dosent actualy work.

valleycowboy
08-01-2010, 07:26 AM
good for your son to buy it himself. i think it's good the kids do good with their money.my 10 year old just finished his C.O.R.E. a couple weeks ago and payed for it himself. makes the youngster appreciate it more.
good luck to him this season,can't wait to see pics and hear the stories.

500grhollowpoint
08-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Yup my youngest just finished his CORE as well and we just bought him a Parker-Hale .243. It's a little heavy for him to shoot off hand, So I put a bipod on it. With the factory loads we bought he can put one in a clay pigeon at 50 yards. He has shot my 22-250 lots and is a great shot. Looking forward to working up some loads with the 100 grainers.

valleycowboy
08-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Yup my youngest just finished his CORE as well and we just bought him a Parker-Hale .243. It's a little heavy for him to shoot off hand, So I put a bipod on it. With the factory loads we bought he can put one in a clay pigeon at 50 yards. He has shot my 22-250 lots and is a great shot. Looking forward to working up some loads with the 100 grainers.

i bought a set of shooting sticks for my son last year....in my opinion..damn good investment.he practised with em last year and got use to them and shot his first deer with em:mrgreen:.(lol,shot with the gun that was resting on the sticks)

buckguy
08-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Congrats to the boy on getting the CORE done and getting his rifle. Lots of good memories to be had. Good to see family getting hunting together.