PDA

View Full Version : Sheep around Telegraph Creek?

Tikatack
07-30-2010, 08:21 AM
I've got to head up to Telegraph Creek for some work in August. I'll be up on top in the high country for a couple of days. Does anyone know if it's worthwhile taking the gear up for some hunting?

GoatGuy
07-30-2010, 10:55 AM
yes...............

trigger
07-30-2010, 02:55 PM
how are you getting there? just wondering because if you are going by helicopter you are not allowed to hunt. but other wise yes

Tikatack
07-31-2010, 02:31 PM
working from heli, hunting from foot though... yes, it'll be a bit of a climb.

44inchStone
08-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Better do some homework about carrying firearms in Heli's. Especially for hunting!

Tikatack
08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
working from heli doesn't imply carrying a firearm. As I mentioned, I'll be hunting on foot.

BlacktailStalker
08-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Unless I am mistaken it is illegal to transport firearms for the sake of hunting and you can not transport game in a helicopter, period.

MB_Boy
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Taken from page 18 of the synopsis;

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012.pdf

ADDITIONAL HUNTING METHOD RESTRICTIONS

You should also know it’s unlawful:

24. to hunt or transport hunters or wildlife by a helicopter.
[/quote]

rgv
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
working from heli doesn't imply carrying a firearm. As I mentioned, I'll be hunting on foot.

don;t forget the six hour restriction after being in an aircraft

lots of sheep around though. Spent a summer camped in Glenora, flying out every day. Plenty of wildlife.

geoskier
08-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Ya I am a geologist and I was just working in that area. The mountain I was on had no joke, 50 goats on it. It is heli access and blazing a trail there would be a nightmare.

Either way, I am going to do it!

Also, I could have easily got a goat there.... but you can't use a heli to get up a mountain and then hunt. I could have been there for a month and it would still be cheating. Take advantage of the heli to scout out some good areas. Maybe stalk a few while working. Then once you get back down to the Stikine, grab some beers, grab a saw, and blaze a trail up and get the *******.

Ambush
08-05-2011, 09:39 PM
You most certainly may carry a firearm on a helicopter, though even some heli pilots don't seem to know that. Or maybe they just don't want you to.

You may not transport game animals by helicopter.

The regs DO say you may not transport hunters by helicopter, but in at least two cases in BC, a judge has determined that if you are in a helicopter, you are not actively hunting, therefore you are not [at the time] a hunter. I'm sure that the authourities are busy closing that loophole.

You can have a camp dropped off by helicopter and then hike to it. You will have to pack out your animal.

Woodrow
08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
your in the mountains with a chopper, at least you should look around and find a spot that you might be able to get to at a latter date.

Caribou_lou
08-06-2011, 04:19 PM
You have it made buddy. For sure take the gun and gear. members have posted the restrictions. Have at'er.... Good luck to ya.

Darksith
08-06-2011, 05:05 PM
good old peeps, always more interested in telling you what you can't do rather than what you can do.