PDA

View Full Version : Deer Calling

Blair
07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I just bought a copy of the video "Mastering the Art - Guide to calling Deer" from Primos Hunting Calls. If the video is realistic, it looks like the deer will come running. Has anyone used these calls? Do they work like the video suggests they do?

hunter1947
07-30-2010, 03:54 AM
Yes they will work during the rut ,practice lots and you will call in deer in the rut..

springpin
07-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Last year I was quite succesful calling in deer, called mulies to within 10 meters, and called in a whitie to within 25, he was tasty.

Bushman
07-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Using a homemade call (two pieces of cedar and an elastic band) last November I called in five blacktail bucks at one time. The calls will work
well on bucks during the rut.

ghost
07-30-2010, 06:53 AM
I have used the deer talk call and have had blacktails bucks and does come to the call.Mule deer does have responded to it and I have had bucks stop and look but not come any closer.

Buckmeister
07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Even when the rut is NOT on.....if you see a shooter buck within range and he is on the move, a call is handy for stopping him in his tracks long enough to get a shot off.

thatskindafunny
07-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Have called in lots and lots of mule deer bucks. A few blacktails too. Going into the bush without it is as bad as going into the bush without a compass. I will turn around and walk back to the truck if I forget my call.

coquitlam
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I have called many mule does in to a couple of feet by just persing my lips together and blow. It makes a squeeking noise. I can stop a bunch with it but have never got one to come in closer.

pete_k
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Even when the rut is NOT on.....if you see a shooter buck within range and he is on the move, a call is handy for stopping him in his tracks long enough to get a shot off.

What type of call? Pics or brand name? Thanks.

35 Whelen
07-30-2010, 04:21 PM
In the Primo's video, they show a fawn bawl that literally has does running in hell bent for election.....a word of caution on using a fawn bawl in bear country...they too will come in at a run...looking for a meal !!!!!! Just have eyes in the back your head, you don't want to be the meal !!!!

Chuck
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM
Have called in lots and lots of mule deer bucks. A few blacktails too. Going into the bush without it is as bad as going into the bush without a compass. I will turn around and walk back to the truck if I forget my call.

I'm in total agreement. Shall we vote on that?

Buckmeister
07-30-2010, 06:11 PM
What type of call? Pics or brand name? Thanks.

Any call that mimics a grunt. I use Primos calls myself....their Rubberneck and the BuckRoar...had a Hardwoods once, but lost the business end while hunting.

pescado
07-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I was suprised last season at how well calling for deer worked. I've never heard one answer but I had bucks and does both come in close range. I'll try it again this year to see if it was really the call or the location?

MooseRocket
07-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I was sitting in my truck messing around with my deer call, and had a doe and buck come trotting out of the woods! I was no where near my rifle!

tikkat3
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
wow i've called before and used rattle bags and stuff with no success, its good to hear that they work for you guys. I've only been able to hunt the pre-rut though so that's probably why

CHEAM
07-30-2010, 10:31 PM
I have also had great success with the deer talk call!more often with the does than the bucks.Sometimes the come in so fast it catches you totally of guard.I have at least one of the calls placed in every truck or pack.