PDA

View Full Version : Guess a blackies size??

Buckmeister
07-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Was up the hill a few weeks back, and on the way down I spotted a bear. It was walking through the grass on the open range. I noticed how it's head was above the top of the grass. From my viewpoint, about 250+ yards uphill, it looked like a small bear. It heard me coming and it stood up on it's hinds to have a look, I could now see it's whole torso. After a few seconds it decided to take off. As I continued down the road, the road switchbacked and came to within a few yards of where the bear had been standing. That's when I noticed that the grass there was actually 4 feet tall. So that's when I started thinking that this bear was not so small after all but probably a good size.

Judging from the info I've given here, how big do you think this bear was?? I'm no bear expert and have never hunted them, but I'm considering doing so, but I'd rather hold out for a larger one.

308Lover
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
It's all about the ears. You'll see.

Buckmeister
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
It's all about the ears. You'll see.

Are they like men???....their ears (and noses) get bigger with age???

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Are they like men???....their ears (and noses) get bigger with age???

Nope, they get smaller in relation to the size of the head. That and they will be more on the side of the head, rather than on top. Sounds like your bear was a keeper.

But if your planning on taking up shooting one, don't be too hasty to pass on a lesser one, they're often tastier than the big brutes.

hunter1947
07-30-2010, 03:49 AM
I would have done the same thing hold out for a bigger bear ,you did the right thing there will be another time that you will see Mr big..

BiG Boar
07-30-2010, 06:07 AM
You just know when you see a monster. There is no questioning. They are just massive.

Buckmeister
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I would have done the same thing hold out for a bigger bear ,you did the right thing there will be another time that you will see Mr big..

You just know when you see a monster. There is no questioning. They are just massive.

When I saw him the season was already closed. This one may not have been a monster, but a good size none the less. I'm hoping to see him again so as to get a better idea of his true size. I've heard there is a boss bear in this area but I think he hides higher up the hill.

When considering a nice hide, is it better to go for a spring bear or fall bear?

Steeleco
07-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Early spring or later in the fall are both good. But ultimately it depends on the bear and what they've been doing. The bear in my avatar rugged out great and he was taken May 30 a few years back. I've shot other bears a month sooner and they were no good.