PDA

View Full Version : Sitka Stratus or Coldfront or other good shell jacket?

Rackmastr
07-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a very good quality COLD weather shell for November hunting in the mountains and in various types of terrain in Alberta.

My wife gets very cold so warmth is paramount. We will be doing about 1-2 hours of hiking per day and the rest will be spent sitting and glassing in cold temps raning from -25 to -35 celsius. Winds can and most likely will be strong.

Trying to think about the best option, and willing to look at all brands. I can get a very good deal on Sitka but I'm willing to look at any brand out there.

Anyone use the Stratus or the Coldfront jacket with layers? Either of them up to the task of a shell for this type of weather? Possible other options including shells, parkas, etc most appreciated!

3006pg
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
couple blankets and some heat pouches

Rackmastr
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Not really what I'm lookin for. We do a lot of hunting and have a couple important hunts this year, and I'm looking for a really good quality jacket system.

Carrying blankets up a mountain or across the hills in my pack doesnt really jive with my system. Great for ice-fishing though!

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
The Kelvin is their warmest jacket.
Layer that under a waterproof shell like the stormfront or downpour if you need it. Likely not at that temp.
I have a 90%, a celcius and a stormfront jacket. I like to layer though...

Rackmastr
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Ever tried the Coldfront BlacktailStalker?

I have a Kelvin vest and ya it seems very warm. I would think that the Kelvin jacket and a good shell would work nicely. Not cheap but I do get a good discount on it.

Just keeping my options open on brands, styles, etc....thanks for the input!

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2010, 09:34 PM
No I havent tried the coldfront.
I am sure it is nice though.
If you dont object to wool look at the King of the Mountain Bunwarmer bibs and matching jacket. Top notch.
Thats what we wear for AB cats, spent a few days @ -27 last year running on a sled for 4+ hours... not a problem.

troutseeker
07-30-2010, 03:01 PM
I use some merino wool undersirts, heavy polarfleece or wool sweaters and an Arcteryx hard shell. Keeps me warm, although I dont look the part of a hunter...

BlacktailStalker
07-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Big fan of merino wool too, socks and ginch included.
Thats all I bring sheep hunting, with quality rain shells.

Yamnuska
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Sitka stuff looks sweet but you can get the same technology at lower prices by buying Patagoochi, Arcteryx, Mtn Hardware, etc.
But you get no fancy camo patterns.

I wear alpine ski touring/climbing gear to hunt. Works ok for me. Schoeller fabrics.

I love Sitka but man it is big big bucks. Much cheaper down south but because it is not made in N. America you get dinged at the border with customs.

TSW
10-21-2010, 11:11 AM
For cold weather I am all about the warmth of down...my downvest is a staple on any hunt...packs to nothing and is extremely warm...friends have full down jackets and say nothing but good things. That with a couple layers and a waterproof shell and you should be toasty...well...maybe not toasty, but alive!!

Tenacious Billy
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
For cold weather I am all about the warmth of down...my downvest is a staple on any hunt...packs to nothing and is extremely warm...friends have full down jackets and say nothing but good things. That with a couple layers and a waterproof shell and you should be toasty...well...maybe not toasty, but alive!!

X2 on that TSW. Down is the way to go - coupled with a few underlayers and a waterproof shell you'll be stylin - or at least alive. Minus 25 to minus 35 though??......you'll maybe want to pack an astronaut suit and few extra buffalo skins to wrap up in.

muledeercrazy
10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
my friend has the stratus and is pretty happy with it. it still needs layers to handle the extreme cold. I was looking at the coldfront, and ended up buying the jetstream jacket and getting some better midlayers. I also have a browning gore-tex jacket that is a little heavier than the sitka that works very well for down to -30 with a good base and mid layer. I looked at the under armour and rivers west jackets and they are nice, just not what i was after. I would give Glenn a call at Grouse River, and talk to him. If nothing else he is very honest about the limitations of the gear they sell, and carries rivers west and sitka gear. If you dont end up buying from him, go to the cabelas website and read the reviews from customers. They dont allow you to comment unless you have bought a few items from them, and usually the posts are very helpful.

muledeercrazy
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
if money is no object i would look at either the first lite merino wool base layers or icebreaker stuff, and and some good thermal midlayers. For midlayers i would again look at a heavier weight wool if you can afford it.The kelvin or stratus bibs, and a good down vest. Then make sure you have a good set of gloves and a toque, as well as good wool socks. They are as important as anything. After that the jacket should provide some insulation and keep the wind and water out, and most good jackets will do that if you keep that in mind. The only question is whether you spend the big bucks on the coldfront..

The Hermit
10-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Okay this year's SITKA Gear includes the Incinerator Jacket and BIB. "The power of down, in a Gore-Tex cocoon." It is the warmest jacket/pant system they have! If you really want to go HOT the Dutch Oven might be for you... an insulated vest enabled with Ardica, it has 3 heat settings, is battery driven and will recharge your USB device too! No kidding!

Now, before you buy any Sitka Gear please give me a call... my pricing will also warm your heart!! www.VantagePoint-Outfitters.com

huntcoop
10-21-2010, 03:28 PM
...this year's SITKA Gear includes the Incinerator Jacket and BIB....

$600 Yankee :lol: just for the jacket! and $480 Yankee for the bibs :eek:

The Hermit
10-21-2010, 04:35 PM
$600 Yankee :lol: just for the jacket! and $480 Yankee for the bibs :eek:

Yes that is the MSRP... call me you will be equally as shocked at the discount!

swampthing
10-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Put some Browning down under some Browning wool. Shorten the stock on your gun cause youll be a lot bigger.

Devilbear
10-21-2010, 10:26 PM
From the skin out, MEC or Icebreaker merino wool gonch, Tshirt and then zipfront top and longjohn bottoms. Then, MEC Hyperloft vest and/or Integral Designs Rundle jacket and then an ID Thruhiker eVENT parka.

Pants are either Filson's Whipcords OR the shell and pants can be THE finest shell gear currently made, "Westcomb" from good old Vancity, BC. This stuff is superb and it is NOT "cheap", but, will last and comes in a nice mossy green.

The guys behind it were among those who started Arcteryx, which is the most over rated gear out there, except North Face and they are "cutting edge". Jason Hairston, formerly of Sitka is now developing "Kuiu" gear for hunting, very nice guy and knows his sh*t.....check 24Hr. for info. on him and his stuff and "google" Westcomb...this gear is worth the bux, it is the best I have seen in over 40 years of wearing highend mountain clothing, even beats the original Marmot Mtn., Synergy Works and Early Winters stuff that started the Gore-Tex thing back in the '70s.

Check it out, and look at "Wildthings" in New Hampshire, Marie made me the best snowshoing pants I have ever had and even called me to ask if I wanted her to make me a camo eVent jacket...great people, fine gear.

huntcoop
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
That Wildthings gear looks pretty darn good, and now comes in camo!

www.wildthingsgear.com (http://www.wildthingsgear.com)